Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37   #601
Resting in Peace

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Here is another good book that will keep you quiet for a while.
as usual its free if you would like to have it or any other book in the gallery just pm me
Free Books - Accrington Gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy.jpg (426.0 KB, 1 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2012, 18:51   #602

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I've just finished the last of a series of five books by Neil White who has set his books in a fictional town in Lancashire called Blackley. I recognise a lot of the places he describes. The books are fast paced who dunnits/thrillers with a detective and her reporter partner as the central characters. The first of the series is called Fallen Idols and is about a serial killer who is murdering premiership footballers. All the books are real page turners and I strongly recommend them - in fact I feel a bit bereft now I've finished them! He will be bringing out a new one around June this year and I'm really looking forward to it.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27   #603
Resting in Peace

Just a note
For all those members that got a E-book reader of some sort for Christmas
if you live in the Lancashire area and have a library card you can now loan books from the library
here is a link you will need your library card and a pin number to log on to the site.
https://secure9.libraryreserve.com/l...yAccount%2ehtm
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58   #604
Resting in Peace

Here is another interesting book Murders of Bolton
Free if you want to read it check the gallery for other free books
Free Books - Accrington Gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolton Murders.jpg (234.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 28-02-2012, 07:30   #605
Resting in Peace

This is not about the 1970 tv series
Its a true account of the men of Bomb disposal during WW2 and the type of fuses encounters
this book is very graphic in places and not for the squeamish.
PM me if you would like to read it its free
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danger UXB.jpg (188.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41   #606
Common Sense Member

imagesCAGNS2CZ.jpg

The Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine.

As autobiographies go it's a good read and he comes across as a very down to Earth guy and the book gives an interesting flavour of what it was like working in the British film industry in the 1960s.

The only thing I could have heard more on was The Muppets Christmas Carol, my favourite version.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 23:47   #607
Senior Member+

I am listening to the audio book version of.....(below).... as read by the author.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Old 05-04-2012, 23:59   #608

T.S. Learner. The Map. Its hard work but i will get to the end.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:04   #609
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I am listening to the audio book version of.....(below).... as read by the author.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Read that last year - great book by one of my heroes, pity he's no longer with us.

Interesting that his brother has written a book in response, from the opposite viewpoint, haven't read it yet.

The Rage Against God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a shelf full of books on similar subjects and more on my Amazon wish list.

Prefer to have a book in my hand rather than listen to them or have them in electronic form and I don't like getting rid of them though they do take up a lot of room!
Old 06-04-2012, 13:50   #610
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Hops & Glory" Pete Brown, Beer writer & propounder of all things Ale.

Relates his story of the attempt to follow & relive the trail of the Burton IPA's that made Burton brewers famous. This mainly due to the spread of the East India Company in the 1800's & despite what many deniers would have us believe, the benefits of Empire.
Old 06-04-2012, 13:54   #611
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Prefer to have a book in my hand rather than listen to them or have them in electronic form and I don't like getting rid of them though they do take up a lot of room!

I am similar. My books are like old friends. I have shelves full, and the floor at my side of the bed is stacked with books to read(even though I have my Kindle - I still like my 'real' books)
I have to be feeling really ruthless to get rid of books. Many a time I have filled a bag for the charity shop....and then before the bag has been carted off, I have gone and retrieved at least a couple of them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:31   #612
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am similar. My books are like old friends. I have shelves full, and the floor at my side of the bed is stacked with books to read(even though I have my Kindle - I still like my 'real' books)
I have to be feeling really ruthless to get rid of books. Many a time I have filled a bag for the charity shop....and then before the bag has been carted off, I have gone and retrieved at least a couple of them.
Ha ha - the piles on my bedside table and floor were getting so out of hand I now have a trolley with shelves so the piles are smaller - but the number of books isn't! At least I can move them about when I want to clean up!
Old 06-04-2012, 14:39   #613
Beacon of light

Oh.....I have signed the sluts charter....I hoover round them........I defy dust to get under them!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 16:43   #614
Senior Member+

It is read by the author which is cool! you can get the audiobooks in a pack. This one and the god delusion by dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Read that last year - great book by one of my heroes, pity he's no longer with us.

Interesting that his brother has written a book in response, from the opposite viewpoint, haven't read it yet.

The Rage Against God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a shelf full of books on similar subjects and more on my Amazon wish list.

Old 06-04-2012, 18:30   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Me too Margaret, I know I have well over a thousand in the attic still in boxes from my last house move, and the ones downstairs tend to creep throughout the house - I have got a bit more ruthless though, and whilst I could never throw them away I try to pass on as many as possible to friends and family.
But I do love my Kindle even though it's different from the feeling of holding a book.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..