Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 21:44   #721
Common Sense Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
This is one of those occasions when I wholeheartedly agree with you, Ken! First read 'em about 40 years ago, so I'm on a voyage of rediscovery now.

Never seen the Peter Cushing Holmes, so I'll watch out for them. Funnily enough, I've been watching the Basil Rathbone ones over the last couple of weeks. Obviously a lot of the tales aren't the original ones and they're in a 1940's setting, but I reckon Basil Rathbone plays a great Holmes.

Thanks for the heads up.
The Cushing episodes were a 1960s BBC series which was incredibly made in colour but unfortunately went the way of so much great TV in the mass wipings of the 1970s. Nigel Stock played Watson, the only other thing I remember seeing him in was Yes, Prime Minister as a rather starchy civil servant.

By far the pride of my collection is the complete radio series with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams, every single story and novel with the same lead actors. Again made by the BBC during the 80s and 90s and absolutely sublime. I think I paid £130 for all 64 discs and it was a steal.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2012, 22:08   #722
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
By far the pride of my collection is the complete radio series with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams, every single story and novel with the same lead actors. Again made by the BBC during the 80s and 90s and absolutely sublime. I think I paid £130 for all 64 discs and it was a steal.
Sounds good, Ken, but I think that might have to go on the wish list!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15   #723
Resting in Peace

"SUB" its about life on a British Trafalgar class Hunter killer Nuclear submarine
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01   #724
Senior Member+

"changeling" by morgan gallagher.... its not what i expected

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 16:08   #725
Junior Member+

Reading Charles Dickens at the moment, Really enjoying his books. I use a Kindle which is brilliant. Most classics are free which makes it more attractive. So far I have covered Hard Times, Bleak House, Tale of Two Cities, The Old Curiosity Shop to name a few. I really enjoy Dickens.
ocuana1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 17:15   #726
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Pies & prejudice - in search of the North" by Stuart Maconie, a northern lad looking to define what makes Northerners, Northerners, a light hearted look at the differences between us & them Southern Jessies & trying to understand where the North begins.
Old 12-11-2012, 18:41   #727
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

He Was My Chief...........The memoirs of Adolf Hitlers Secretary. - Christa Schroeder. Was only published after her death in 1985, in German. Translated in 2009, n interesting read imho.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:47   #728

I like reading about true crime. I read 'Goodbye, Dearest Holly' by Kevin Wells recently, as well as several books about Joseph Fritzel. I've not got stuck into a good book recently, house moves and other things have stopped me-I tend to gain knowledge via the internet, and when I moved I got rid of most of by books ( I HAD to hang onto 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists', as well as a couple of others, though)!
This thread has inspired me. I need to get stuck into a good book soon now things are settled
Old 13-11-2012, 06:35   #729
Senior Member+

Im hoping for more audiobooks by Robert Rankin. But since that isn't going to happen soon and that I have just found where I packed it when I moved...

Robert Rankin - Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
Old 13-11-2012, 20:28   #730
Senior Member+

"no cry toddler sleep solution" hopefully encourage the small boy to sleep more than 5 hours a night!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 01:50   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Im hoping for more audiobooks by Robert Rankin. But since that isn't going to happen soon and that I have just found where I packed it when I moved...

Robert Rankin - Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
I like audiobooks. I find they cause me to get lost a lot, if I have them on whilst driving, though!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32   #732

My favourite book is "The Diary of Anne Frank"
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46   #733
God Member

Currently reading Alice's adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carol (sp?) on my android tablet
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 14:21   #734
Senior Member+

just started hitchhikers guide to the galaxy read by stephen fry
Old 07-12-2012, 17:25   #735
Full Member+

Thriller readers can't go wrong with Karen Rose.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..