Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 21:21   #61
God Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
its spooky being related to someone who likes the same things as i do lol, i've read ugly too, havent read her latest one yet though, i also read Jenny Tomlins first book, couldnt get into the second, the one she did with her sister, it was like she was repeating everything she said in the first

has anyone got 'beyond ugly'? Constance Briscoe's second book? i could do with borrowing it, that and Katie Price's 3rd biography
I read beyond ugly, I borrowed it from the library, it wasn't as good as ugly.

Katie Price has got a 3rd one out??

My God, that girl knows how to milk it, doesn't she?
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2008, 21:23   #62
God Member

lol, i like Katie Price, i've read her other two, and Peters, not read any of her fiction books though, i aint into sloppy stuff
Old 04-08-2008, 21:27   #63
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
I have never read any of those because I thought he was that comedy writer that was popular about 20 years ago, mainly read by men. Is it the same man?
Sorry to be so vague, im hoping this rings some bells and somebody will come up with the name of the writer I mean if its not Terry Pratchett.
Bonny x

Terry Pratchett is still writing, though he apparently has an early form of Alzheimer's disease. I don't know if you would class him as a comedy writer, though his books are very humourous. His books aren't directed at men, either, and he has quite a lot of female central characters, such as Susan (the tooth fairy who is Death's adoptive grand daughter) and the very young (about 11) Tiffany Aching who is involved with the Pictsies (6" tall blue-skinned [tattooed] Scotsmen with red hair and a penchant for booze).

I don't know who the writer is you're referring to. Not someone I've read.
Old 04-08-2008, 21:29   #64

Ive tried 'call a friend' well ex husband actually, but hes not in lol. I will find out later, its bugging me now.
Bonny x
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 23:33   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
Where does everybody get their books from? Ebay, Waterstones, Market? Ordinary Book shops, Swaps?????
Bonny x
get mine from Cudeca when in spain - 50 cents.
Old 04-08-2008, 23:48   #66
Give, give, give member

Rereading Emile Zola's Germinal, part of the Rougon-Macquart series of books he wrote. This one was set in northern France, amongst the harsh mining communities of the area, in the 1860's. A tale of poverty and struggle, not unlike the lives of the mill workers of Lancashire.

I was eighteen when I read them all, and they are still an inspiration, and shape my politics today.

Up the workers!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 00:45   #67
Resting in Peace

There's loads of books down the Blind Shop and they need the money.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have mentioned this before but if you like reading try the Green Metropolis, its a swap shop for books in as much as you can by any paperbacks for £3.75p including postage, and they will by books of you. Books are usually in pretty good nick and they have a huge selection, worth a look
I use this site and can recommend it too
You can buy most types of books from this site for £3-75 read it and put it back on there site and sell it you then get £3 for the book

Last edited by Mick; 05-08-2008 at 04:42.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02   #69
Beacon of light

I can endorse this site too(Green Metropolis)...they have books of all types from study books to self improvement....and fiction and non fiction of all kinds......the books are invariably in very good condition and arrive promptly.
Not only that if you read the book and keep it in good condition you can sell it on again....meaning that your reading habit is done on a shoe string.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:24   #70
God Member

I borrow a lot of books from the library, also buy the odd one from Asda, also the hairdressers I go to have a box of books which you can borrow and add too.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:34   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can endorse this site too(Green Metropolis)...they have books of all types from study books to self improvement....and fiction and non fiction of all kinds......the books are invariably in very good condition and arrive promptly.
Not only that if you read the book and keep it in good condition you can sell it on again....meaning that your reading habit is done on a shoe string.
I regularly go on their Web Site just to have a nosy and if there's something I like I just buy it, you can't be bitten for a net 75 pence can you
Old 05-08-2008, 17:19   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have mentioned this before but if you like reading try the Green Metropolis, its a swap shop for books in as much as you can by any paperbacks for £3.75p including postage, and they will by books of you. Books are usually in pretty good nick and they have a huge selection, worth a look
Thanks for that jaysay. Had never seen or heard of the site before but after seeing yours and Mick's recommendations I had a gander. Just bought the complete works of Oscar Wilde for 3-75 plus p&p. Bargain!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 17:24   #73

I don't know if I dare trust myself to go and have a mooch round that site!! I could end up spending a bloomin fortune.
I get mine from Charity shops, supermarkets, the market and when I take my dog Wizzy to the seaside in Craster I usually go to all the second hand books shops round there. I don't go to the Library anymore because I often forget to take them back on time and end up feeling bad and having to pay a fine.
Bonny x
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:26   #74
Senior Member+

ASDA's having a sale on some books, ive bought me and Ty some new ones but noticed that theres mostly books about abuse out at the moment, is this what people want to read? Ive read Dave Pelzers but i dont think i could cope with much more?There was also a few about arranged marriages. Not exactly the kind of books you wanna curl up with a brew and a bar of chocolate are they?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:29   #75
God Member

i've just been t'Tesco and bought 'My Booky Wook' by Russell Brand, read the first couple of chapters already, what a great book it is so far, i've always liked him anyway, i think he is intelectually hilarious...the book starts off with him being admitted into the keystone sexual addiction treatment centre in Philadelphia...a great read so far, would recommend it to anyone who likes him

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..