Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2007, 19:11   #1
Senior Member+

buddy or elvis ??

as much as i liked elvis (not much)
it would have to be buddy holly for me
he at least wrote some of his own songs

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2007, 19:23   #2
God Member

Re: buddy or elvis ??

I'm a bit (well, a lot) too young for either of them in their heyday but my Dad was a Buddy Holly fan so passed all his records on to me. I didn't really realise that Elvis had been such a huge star until much later because I was brought up on Sam Cooke and Sam & Dave and The Everly Brothers rather than Elvis.

So would have to be Buddy for me.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 19:31   #3
God Member

Put me down as Buddy, can't say I was ever to keen on Elvis.
Old 17-08-2007, 20:00   #4
Yank in King Art's Court!

As I've already noted in the "Elvis" thread, I'm a big fan of Buddy Holly. Really hard to compare the two as Elvis had so many HUGE hits and was so incredibly popular. You never know if Buddy had lived if he wouldn't have Jim Morrisoned/Jimmi Hendrixed on us!

Can you imagine Buddy Holly looking like John Lennon in the 1970s?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 20:19   #5
God Member

Ummm Elvis For Me .... Although Big Fan Of Buddy Also
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 20:35   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

Well, though I love Elvis, I'm keen on Buddy Holly too. The point is they were very different, in style, presentation and their music but diversity is what makes life, and certainly music, interesting.

I was very into Rock'n'Roll in my teens and I still enjoy it, I mean the old 50s type. I have CDs and albums of all the old "greats", Elvis, Buddy, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and the rest. I go a bit more into the 60s too, Beatles, Beach Boys (love them), Four Seasons and, of course, I go back to the 30s and 40s music too. I just love music. Sorry, though, I'm not keen on much after about 1975. (Is this because I'm getting a bit long in the tooth? )

If it comes to a choice between Elvis and Buddy, it's got to be Elvis for me for his sheer magnetism. The Elvis I really go for is the Elvis of the 50s, before the silly jump suits and the personal problems. His very early songs, before all the showmanship, have something you don't often find in an artist. Mind you, that Come Back Special - with the black leather suit - well.....phwoooaaaah!
Old 17-08-2007, 21:04   #7

How many blockbuster hollywood movies did buddy make?

As daft as the Q may be, his manager(was it general/major or summat) was quite an astute business gezzer, Just look at it this way...

You buy the cd/cassette/record/8track(get my drift) and play it religiously until you finally put the nail in the coffin an retire it to the archives...

No look at it from the army-ranked-name-guy manager bloke.

They will most certainly like this film that they will come back and watch it TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME...

The worldwide royalities from these films were phenominal, far more at the time than what could have been accrewed by vinyl.

Makes sense dunnit??

GLOBAL BRANDING ANYONE??

Last edited by spud; 17-08-2007 at 21:07. Reason: more thoughts
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 21:13   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I think you mean Colonel Tom Parker, Spud, not really a colonel at all and not even really called Tom Parker. Oh he was an astute businessman all right. He knew how to make money and he made it - for himself. When Elvis died, his manager was far, far richer than he was.
Old 17-08-2007, 22:17   #9
Super Moderator

Personally, I would rate Chuck Berry and Little Richard as the two best performers of out-and-out rock 'n' roll but that's down to my own musical tastes.

As for "Colonel" Parker, he was a small time ex-carnival showman who couldn't see the bigger picture. In the 60's when Elvis was making a series of increasingly mediocre films and recording utter drivel like "Do The Clam", Parker should have been canvassing all the brightest young songwriters of the era to provide his star with exciting new material. Imagine the results if Lennon-McCartney or even Jagger-Richards had been asked to write songs for him. In the 70's when Elvis's Las Vegas shows were lapsing into self-parody, Parker should have had him out there on worldwide tours filling vast arenas. Elvis could have done so much more with a more visionary manager.

Incidentally, if you want to hear where Elvis copped his vocal style from, listen to an Amercian singer called Roy Brown (no, not "Chubby"!) if you get a chance. He sounds like he's copying Elvis...only thing is he was doing in the late 40's/early 50's!
Old 17-08-2007, 22:37   #10
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Of the two I'd go for Buddy Holly although if I had another choice it would be Eddie Cochran who also died far too young at 21.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:42   #11
Accy Goddess

I like Buddy Holly but for me it's got to be ELVIS.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:42   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

love early Elvis, but Buddy Holly for me no question,more talented, could write n produce his own stuff n was still a kid when he died.as for the colonel, the reason Elvis never toured anywhere but the states, the guy was an illegal immigrant n would not have been allowed back in the states if he left, so as well as robbing 50% of presleys earnings he deprived the world of seeing him to suit his own ends-- A BUM.
Old 17-08-2007, 22:46   #13
God Member

Holly all the way.

Not a fan of Elvis at all I'm afraid.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:50   #14
Accy Goddess

That colonel was the down fall of Elvis and his pure greed. Elvis thought he was T.C.B but the fact was he only took care of him-self and robbed us of being able to see the great man over here.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 23:08   #15
Senior Member+

Different, but both great in their own realm. Any of Buddy or early Elvis and I can dance the night away.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..