Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2009, 06:40   #1

Bulls

Just got back from a w/end wandering around mid Wales and I'm wondering what the guides are for warning us walkers there is a bull in the field?
What I have learned is that I can run fast when I have to n no way am I testing the theory that you turn and face it waving your arms about...No way...eeeeeeeeeek
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2009, 09:33   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Bulls

I think its the same now Susie as it was when I was young (a long, long time ago), if your out walking, before entering a field make doubly sure there are no bulls knocking about either that or use running shoes instead of boots
Old 14-04-2009, 09:48   #3
God Member

Sometimes farmers deliberately place bulls in fields where there is a right of way footpath, in order to deter people from using that path.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:57   #4

All you need to know about Bulls in fields can be found HERE.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:51   #5
God Member

So it is illegal to put bulls in fields that have a public footpath - but it does happen

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:41   #6

Only Dairy Bulls, as far as I know Beef bulls are allowed as long as they are with cows and calves.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:04   #7
God Member

That theory does work planetsusie, so instead of trying to bring about your end running, stand and wave your arms about, with plenty of shouting, they get very close, but they do stop, I was taught this on a farm many years ago, I should also say, they were 'normal' bullocks, (black and white), I dont know if it works with all bulls.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:18   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
Just got back from a w/end wandering around mid Wales and I'm wondering what the guides are for warning us walkers there is a bull in the field?
What I have learned is that I can run fast when I have to n no way am I testing the theory that you turn and face it waving your arms about...No way...eeeeeeeeeek
Try waving a large red rag.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 21:13   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Bullocks (not bulls) live in fields in nice little groups - all lads together - just not for a very long time. They are very curious animals and will surround you, usually hoping you've arrived with some food, and think it's good fun to chase you if you run. On the whole they're harmless but have bad breath and fart a lot.

If there's a bull in a field with cows it's likely to be quite docile because it's a happy bull - if you get my meaning. They are unpredictable but not totally dangerous and they don't just think - "Person > chase > kill." They think happy thoughts and leer at the next cow.

A bull in a field on his own thinks - "Why are you in my field? Are you the AI man? Where are my cows? I'm annoyed now." That's when you run.
Old 14-04-2009, 21:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Bullocks (not bulls) live in fields in nice little groups - all lads together - just not for a very long time. They are very curious animals and will surround you, usually hoping you've arrived with some food, and think it's good fun to chase you if you run. On the whole they're harmless but have bad breath and fart a lot.

If there's a bull in a field with cows it's likely to be quite docile because it's a happy bull - if you get my meaning. They are unpredictable but not totally dangerous and they don't just think - "Person > chase > kill." They think happy thoughts and leer at the next cow.

A bull in a field on his own thinks - "Why are you in my field? Are you the AI man? Where are my cows? I'm annoyed now." That's when you run.
Especially if your name is Margaret.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 21:26   #11
Resting in Peace

LOL Westender, maybe Susie misinterpreted the intentions of this bull:-

horny_male.jpg

Aaaw.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 21:31   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
That theory does work planetsusie, so instead of trying to bring about your end running, stand and wave your arms about, with plenty of shouting, they get very close, but they do stop, I was taught this on a farm many years ago, I should also say, they were 'normal' bullocks, (black and white), I dont know if it works with all bulls.
that sounds like a right load of bullocks to me.
Old 14-04-2009, 21:46   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I can assure you it does not....If the animal gets close enough for you to tell if it's a bull or a bullock.....you have got problems...black, white or sky blue pink, a normal bullock has had it's balls removed, a bull has not.
If you stand and wave in front of a bull you are more likely to try and claim compen for a horn up the arse or worse.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 21:46   #14
Resting in Peace

Had a similar experience on Saturday whilst walking over Barley with yer daughter Susie, this sheep had an unusual interest in us which was quite intimidating :-

barley 011.jpg

Until we realised she may have found a hairdressing soul mate ...

barley 014.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 11:07   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So it is illegal to put bulls in fields that have a public footpath - but it does happen
Thats funny Margaret I always thought farmers were a law unto themselves

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..