Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2013, 14:52   #16
God Member

Re: C.a.t.c.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Many do that yes but many peoples facebook friends are not real friends but old acquaintances, work colleagues etc. I only have a few people on my facebook that I have not actually met.
Same here Neil. I like it for the sharing of photos and keeping up with people I don't see very often -friends and family all scattered all over the world. I have a sister in NZ, parents in the Canaries, cousins in Thailand, Oz and Canada and I even have a cousin in Katmandu (wish it was Timbuktu!)

Oops forgot to mention I friends in Hyndburn too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2013, 15:01   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Many do that yes but many peoples facebook friends are not real friends but old acquaintances, work colleagues etc. I only have a few people on my facebook that I have not actually met.
Got to admit, I haven't many friends on there, but then I'm suspiscious about the two that I have got.

Are they that lonely they need me as a friend?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 17:49   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Got to admit, I haven't many friends on there, but then I'm suspiscious about the two that I have got.

Mr.Burke & Mr.Hare by any chance?
Old 25-07-2013, 17:57   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Mr.Burke & Mr.Hare by any chance?
Thought you had perhaps been down the Reeperbahn or Charlottenburg and the body snatchers had got you.
Old 25-07-2013, 19:26   #20

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyreferee View Post
Hi guys and gals. As a proud Accringtonian I'm starting a campaign to pressure for improvement in our Town Centre. We are a week old but gathering momentum at a fast pace. We have, twitter and Facebook pages and today I have launched a website. Catch Front Page content will be added shortly. I would appreciate it if you could spare a few minutes to peruse our pages to find out a little bit more about what we are trying to achieve. LET articles (today) and an Observer article next week are generating a buzz around the Town and I hope that more of you will Join us in lobbying,engaging and helping to raise standards and aspirations in the town. Thanks.
Good on you mate..hope you have better luck than we've had...plugging away, lobbying and engaging for almost 10 years and watching the town go from weakness to weakness, to a point where you couldn't tell the difference between Accrington and Beirut except for the weather conditions.

Councillors who speak when they want your votes, then vanish when they have their two years, MP's who are high profile until they actually become an MP then run to the hills posting 'look what I'm doing pictures' on twitter (without really doing anything but grabbing free lunches at local businesses)

We've pointed out ways to raise standards, posted photos of grotspots, some have even attended council meetings. We've argued policy, procedure, dog fouling, bench removal, pound shops, party political bickering, maundy, bus stations, pennine reach etc..etc.. and got absolutely nowhere!

We are jaded, cynical and mistrustful. I'm glad someone is there to pick up the banner because we've all carried it at one point and retired to the pub in abject defeat
Old 25-07-2013, 19:50   #21
I am Banned

Quote:

Thats a needless question. They must be really hard up for friends.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-07-2013 at 19:53.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 20:17   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Thats a needless question. They must be really hard up for friends.
At least he knows his name and doesn't have to reverse engineer one
Old 25-07-2013, 21:37   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
At least he knows his name and doesn't have to reverse engineer one
Who's lit your wick.Ysirrom Lien.
I've always used and written my name like that since before you or your dad was born.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-07-2013 at 21:40.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 22:50   #24
God Member

they prefer facebook because they have total control over what they allow people to see

disagree and point out a serious flaw or lie and bang that post gets deleted and you get blocked

dont like something said on here they have to cry to a mod or admin and hope they are sympathetic

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 00:27   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
MP's who are high profile until they actually become an MP then run to the hills posting 'look what I'm doing pictures' on twitter (without really doing anything but grabbing free lunches at local businesses)
Read our MP's column in the Observer today - a waste of my time I know, but nothing better to do for a few minutes.

Over 3/4 (75%) of it, rambled on about what the other lot were doing wrong and that we should remain in the EU. The remainder was his Bill, which on the face of it will improve the living conditions of some tenants - no percentage given, perhaps his standard 75%, but unlikely. He does not appear to understand that increase in costs to a landlord will inevitably mean an increase in rents. Perhaps Labour will increase Housing Benefit.

At no point does he spell out what Labour will do if they get into power - will they reduce taxes, increase benefits, increase immigration, scrap the bedroom tax, increase Local Government, NHS, Fire Service, Police funding. One thing they will not do is take us out of the EU - the public do not understand why we should remain in the EU

It makes me sick to hear such pompous drivel from someone whose view of the population of Hyndburn is that they are knowledgeable enough to elect him, but totally unable to make a decision on what we consider is best for us - particularly regarding EU Membership.
Bagpuss, Guinness, cashman and 1 others like this.
Old 26-07-2013, 09:38   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Over 3/4 (75%) of it, rambled on about what the other lot were doing wrong
so basically been a MP is doing the exact same crap you did as a councilor but with better pay and a pension

one day the secretary who does all teh leg work will get some credit for the good done for the people of hyndburn and not the pillock whos name gets rubber stamped on the letter you get saying he has sorted things out

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 26-07-2013 at 09:41.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:48   #27
Senior Member+

I note that there has not been any further posts by the originator of this thread - wonder why?
Old 26-07-2013, 10:07   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I note that there has not been any further posts by the originator of this thread - wonder why?
Either:-

a) Busy with the thousands of applications to join the scheme.

OR

b) Awaiting further orders from 'top men' as to how to proceed with those cynical sods on AccyWeb.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 13:27   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Either:-

a) Busy with the thousands of applications to join the scheme.

OR

b) Awaiting further orders from 'top men' as to how to proceed with those cynical sods on AccyWeb.

I think option two is very near the mark Less
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 13:40   #30
Junior Member+

Smile Re: C.a.t.c.h

Oh you are a Cynical bunch ! Fellas, ladies, I am a mere mortal ( a very internet literate, savvy one) with one thing... massive amounts of passion,drive and energy; which before you say it....won't get knocked out of me, I can assure you of that. I'm an Accringtonian born and bred and believe in this town. The problem I have is that apathy has gripped everyone including Town Hall,we feel like its the end of the road and we can't do anything about it. Well I'm here to preach the gospel of people power, the more people imvolved the more change will happen. I seek no financial or political gain from this campaign just to have some pride and satisfaction that I'm getting off my arse to do something about it instead of sitting around moaning about it ! If anyone would like to help us spread the gospel then join us.....remember Apathy is relaxing it doesn't take any energy ;-)
Mr Farrer, hang your head in shame.....we know each other, message me and I will reveal all. If you want to get in touch good or bad I'm all ears. [email protected]. Front Page
accyreferee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..