Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GEaston
  • 1 Post By wadey
  • 1 Post By wadey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 20:24   #1

Can Anybody Help ?

I have received this letter today, any ideas ?

"Hello Robert, I hope that this request is not a bother to you! I am writing a Family History about my Deakin family and am trying to find a photo of 23 St. James St. Accrington where one of my people was living at the time of her death in 1917. I see on Geograph that you have some photos of St. James St - would you know if one of them shows #23? Google maps shows the Gothic House as being #23 but I find it hard to believe that this is where the relative was living unless it was some kind of a "home" in those days.
I know from past experience that Geograph people are "good people" and always most helpful! Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Gill Gaiser, Kamloops, BC, Canada"

Thanks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2013, 00:20   #2

Re: Can Anybody Help ?

23 is not "Gothic House" - the odd numbers are on the opposite side of the street. There is a row 15 to 23 between Cannon Street and Paradise Street - these are now divided into flats - social housing. So 23 is at the junction of St. James' Street and Paradise Street. The row is between St. James' Church and the site of the Old Baths (now a car park).
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40   #3

This is where Google Streetview is priceless.

Go to Google Maps https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl and enter 23 St James Street, Accrington and then drag the yellow man from the left of the screen onto the A marker. You'll then be dropped onto the street and can walk up and down it. 23 is the property with a Green Renault car parked outside.
Judith Addison likes this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24   #4

Many thanks, I said you (Accrington Web Members) would know, I have to say when I walk round the area it always looks lovely, will pass on this info

St James' Street-Cannon Street,Accrington | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
ossy kid likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:26   #5

"Hi Wadey,

Incredible! Thank you so much for your help – and the help of the Accrington Web members. And isn’t Google Street view wonderful? I have already obtained other photos of the area where the family lived in Accrington for my FH. I love the colour of the stones that is used for so many of the houses – it does make the area look so attractive…. and so much warmer than the bricks used in the Midlands [Staffordshire] where I grew up.

I really do appreciate your help, thanks again!

Gill"

Thanks again
mobertol likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..