Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2013, 08:05   #1

Canal at Rishton

Does anyone know when the canal at Rishton will be open again. It says on the penninewaterways web site that the canal will be open again on 21st November but it wasn't. Then I rang them up and the girl told me it was opening last Saturday, but it didn't open. I cycled to the site on Sunday afternoon and it seemed there was still a lot of work to do. I rang again on Monday morning and they told me it was going to open on Monday lunchtime but it wasn't open. I cycled home (Great Harwood to Church) on Monday tea time and went to the site at Rishton. I climbed over a gate and found a seurity guy who new nothing but he thought it could be at least two more weeks but he wasn't sure. This stretch of the canal is used by hundreds of people every week and we need to know when it will open.
alsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2013, 18:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Canal at Rishton

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteph View Post
Does anyone know when the canal at Rishton will be open again. It says on the penninewaterways web site that the canal will be open again on 21st November but it wasn't. Then I rang them up and the girl told me it was opening last Saturday, but it didn't open. I cycled to the site on Sunday afternoon and it seemed there was still a lot of work to do. I rang again on Monday morning and they told me it was going to open on Monday lunchtime but it wasn't open. I cycled home (Great Harwood to Church) on Monday tea time and went to the site at Rishton. I climbed over a gate and found a seurity guy who new nothing but he thought it could be at least two more weeks but he wasn't sure. This stretch of the canal is used by hundreds of people every week and we need to know when it will open.
When its safe to do so would be my guess
Old 26-11-2013, 23:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When its safe to do so would be my guess
Spot on, John. I don't know why he thinks we would know when the engineers and workmen don't seem to know. We are not privy to inside information!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:33   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

2 stupid answers to a perfectly sensible question.
Why comment if you can't help the thread starter.

If you follow this link it takes you to the Canal And Rivers Trust website Northwest Waterways page North West Waterways

There are updates on the repair work at Rishton and others.

Here is a link to the latest update as of 27th November 03:33 http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4892.pdf
If you read it they are late with the update they mention in that one.
Old 27-11-2013, 03:39   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

If you open all the updates 1 to 6 so far they have adding pictures of the works and the damage they are repairing.
Old 27-11-2013, 15:32   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Here is a link to the latest update as of 27th November 03:33 http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4892.pdf
'The culvert liner has been designed and fabricated in Germany'!

A culvert liner? We have to go to Germany for one? The cost of shipping it here?

Isn't our technology up to making a culvert liner now? Is there anything left that we can design and make in this country? Is running corrupt banks all we're good at?

The answers are obviously No, No and Yes.
Eric and Gremlin like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 16:00   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Thats what I said last night when I read it. I can only assume they can make it to the correct quality and price they couldn't find locally.
Old 27-11-2013, 18:03   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
2 stupid answers to a perfectly sensible question.
Why comment if you can't help the thread starter.

If you follow this link it takes you to the Canal And Rivers Trust website Northwest Waterways page North West Waterways

There are updates on the repair work at Rishton and others.

If you read it they are late with the update they mention in that one.
Having a bad day at work again Neil
Old 27-11-2013, 21:43   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

No I helped with his question instead of just making a pointless post.

The canal is open as a waterway but the man I asked tonight said as of Monday the towpath was still closed but the original plan was for completion by the end of November
Old 28-11-2013, 11:23   #10

Quote:
No I helped with his question instead of just making a pointless post.

The canal is open as a waterway but the man I asked tonight said as of Monday the towpath was still closed but the original plan was for completion by the end of November
It's a pity the thread starter hasn't been back on site since 8.06am 26 November to read your sensible post.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 13:52   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:

So alsteph needs to buy a boat?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 15:54   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
It's a pity the thread starter hasn't been back on site since 8.06am 26 November to read your sensible post.
He may or may not have been on but I answered his question anyway.
Old 28-11-2013, 16:20   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Is there anything left that we can design and make in this country?

Black puddings
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 21:08   #14

I wasn't just asking the question for myself. I usually cycle along the towpath as it's a lot safer than cycling along Dunkenhalgh Way with all the traffic. I see several people walking to work along the towpath who are also trying to find a different route into Rishton. I usually see a guy walking to Rishton who comes from the centre of Accrington and when he asks me when the towpath will reopen I try to give him a proper answer.
Old 30-11-2013, 15:31   #15

Just to let people know, the canal tow path at Rishton is now open
gpick24 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..