Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 18:27   #1
Senior Member+

Car Immobilizers

Is it possible to have an immobilizer removed from a car. Ours has caused us nothing but problems. We could still lock the car doors without it and dont really care if we didnt have one. Is there anywhere that will do it?
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2009, 18:52   #2
God Member

Re: Car Immobilizers

West end autos.
Do you mean the immobiliser or the whole system?
Theres 3 things that happen with the key fob, lock doors, set alarm and activate the immobiliser, disabling one is sometimes possible but often they rely on each other.
Whats been your problem?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 19:24   #3

u need to check with ur insurance to see if your premiums go up with the immobiliser removed.
Old 28-02-2009, 19:30   #4
Senior Member+

Been having problems for months, but had the batteries changed today and that has completely knackered it. The immobilizer wont de-activate at all. I've had a goofle and you can get a code to temporarily disable it, but you have to enter this code every time so you can start the car, and doesnt necessarily work. We just want the immobilizer completely removed now. It seems to be a big problem with Renaults from what i've read on various forums. GRRRR!!!
Old 28-02-2009, 19:54   #5
God Member

Thing to be aware of is when changing the battery in the key fob you need to work pretty fast, if you leave the battery out for too long it will need re-programming for the car, you can usually find details of how to do it on the internet, otherwise its a trip to the dealers for them to re-program it.

www.ubuntu.com

Old 28-02-2009, 19:55   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
u need to check with ur insurance to see if your premiums go up with the immobiliser removed.
I'd certainly check as you say but don't think it will make much difference, if their not Thatcham Cat 1 nowadays they don't want to know

www.ubuntu.com

Old 28-02-2009, 20:58   #7

very true but when they ask u all those question when u take the policy and they say "factory fitted immobiliser" if u remove it and it gets stolen then it could be a problem
Old 28-02-2009, 20:58   #8
Senior Member+

Not a chance i'm going to the dealers, daylight robbery!! Its about £130 for the code and for them to do it. I can get an auto electrician to do it cheaper! A1 at Church changed the battery obviously not fast enough though. Theres nothing in the manual about having to do it quick and I would have thought they would have known.

Oh well will ring West End Auto on Monday and see what they say about getting it de-activated totally, because otherwise will have to put the emergency code in everytime the car needs starting.

We understand we will loose the central lock in feature, but at wits end with the immobilizer now so dont really care about that!
Old 28-02-2009, 22:11   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
you can get a code to temporarily disable it,
Misread this bit, thought you had got the emergency code, this should be available free of charge but prob need proof of ID, might even give you a number to ring in your manual, should be a 24/7 service. Get the code and follow the instructions I sent in the PM
From what I've read, to get the code generated you will need the vehicle ID/Chassis No. and a number that is inside your keyfob

www.ubuntu.com

Old 01-03-2009, 01:01   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Not a chance i'm going to the dealers, daylight robbery!! Its about £130 for the code and for them to do it. I can get an auto electrician to do it cheaper!

If West End can do it that is. The immobilizers on modern cars are not really immobilisers anymore. They are part of the engine management system and rely on reading the keycode as much as the key fitting the ignition lock.

Yours sounds like it might be an ad on if you have to press the button to turn it off. What car is it and what year and I will ask the question and how much to fix it for you?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:45   #11
God Member

its a renault and there built into the ecu. can be done by two methods depending on which type. one is just snipping some wires the other involves fitting a bypass module. read charges e around £130 ouch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22   #12
Senior Member+

Neil, its a Renault Megane E RT Sport, S Reg. Going to try the emergency code thing this afternoon. If it works then at least we can keep it going until we can get the immobilizer permanently diasabled. It will be a bit of a nuisance though as you have to put the code in everytime you start it.

The instructions seem quite complicated, will give it a go though. Thankyou for the instructions K.S.H. I have downloaded the code generator and found the number in the key fob, so thats half the battle!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45   #13
Senior Member+

It worked!!!!

Tried it 3 times and worked everytime, just have to do this everytime we start the car now!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56   #14
God Member

i did a bit of seaching and an administrator on this site seems to know a bit about your problem

you could join up and send him a message asking if he knows how to bypass the imobilizer as from what i have found so far it can be done i just havnt found out how yet

All I want is central Locking

im refering to th emoderator that replied called SpaRky

found a ecu repair/milage correction company that has a place in blackburn it may be worth ringing them to see if thay can bypass the system by reprograming the ECU

http://www.mileagecorrectionservices.co.uk/#

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-03-2009 at 13:04.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 13:09   #15
God Member

sorry the search results were misleading they are not based in blackburn but will come out to you , theres probably a nearer ECU repair place but if it coudl still be worth ringing them to see if they can do it because if they can then anyone else can, it should only involve somone turning up with a laptop and reprograming your ecu to bypass the imobilzer

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..