Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2013, 10:12   #16
Full Member+

Re: Car Insurance for young drivers

When our son passed his driving test he was offered to take a Pass Plus ( I think thats what it is called ) the instructor took him on the motorway etc etc, this reduced the insurance . It is also cheaper if you insure two cars but both have to be at same address, we did this too . He uses Aviva and believe me they have really looked after him. A couple of years ago when bad snow and ice hit us , he worked out of town and while taking care ( witness say ) skidded down a short hill and hit a 4x4 that was parked . Because of the conditions he only lost 1 yr no claims, he was provided with another car( free of charge) while his own was in garage . Not sure but think he was 23/24 at the time.When he moved away from home they even gave him some refund .
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2013, 15:03   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Put my youngest on my insurance until she hit 21, she also got the 3 years no claims when she went solo...not sure if the insurance companies still do it after the EU ruling but may be worth asking
Maybe I missed something here; but what does the EU have to do with automobile insurance
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:06   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Seriously illegal. If she'd ever had to claim and they found out she wouldn't have been covered. Invalid/no insurance-police involved as well.
The main name insured has to state that they are the main driver.
They might have had a job proving you're not but if they suspected it they could with-hold any settlement.
It certainly is illegal put both of my kids on the insurance, kept them on it daughter had a slight bump on her works car park insurance said, policy didn't cover for her to go to place of work.
A bit like life insurance you're covered until your relatives make a claim, it's just that the main witness can't comment.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:14   #19

The EU deemed it discriminatory that policyholders were charged more or less depending on their gender Eric.
If there was a way to regulate premiums so that actuarial calculations were hyper accurate, we'd all be a lot happier. I used to argue about how insurance companies came to make their premium calculations with my dad a lot; he was a broker in Ossy.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:19   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How can the EU decide it is discriminatory to charge based on gender but still allow us to be charged based on age and where we live?
Old 23-02-2013, 15:37   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
The EU deemed it discriminatory that policyholders were charged more or less depending on their gender Eric.
If there was a way to regulate premiums so that actuarial calculations were hyper accurate, we'd all be a lot happier. I used to argue about how insurance companies came to make their premium calculations with my dad a lot; he was a broker in Ossy.
Serious! Do those clowns really believe that by passing a law young men become less of a menace on the road, and that young women, who are a much lesser risk, become testostrone - fueled morons behind the wheel? It's not quite as dumb as trying to repeal the law of gravity; but it's gettin' there.
Old 23-02-2013, 15:47   #22

Neil, Eric you are both making a very serious and basic error! You are making a huge assumption that EU bureaucrats are in any way concerned with, or are in many cases even aware of reality and the impact their decisions have on Joe Public. Shame on you both!

Seriously though, do you wonder, as I do, whether there are ordinary folk all over Europe who scratch their heads as we do and think of the mandarins in Strasbourg as t@ss@rs too?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 16:10   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Neil, Eric you are both making a very serious and basic error! You are making a huge assumption that EU bureaucrats are in any way concerned with, or are in many cases even aware of reality and the impact their decisions have on Joe Public. Shame on you both!

Seriously though, do you wonder, as I do, whether there are ordinary folk all over Europe who scratch their heads as we do and think of the mandarins in Strasbourg as t@ss@rs too?
Seems like us folks out here in the colonies are behind the times on this equality thing ... we prefer to leave it up to actuaries. Over on this side of the pond, young, single males under 25 pay large for insurance. Married males pay less. And young women, even less. It ain't rocket science; it's actuarial science.
Old 23-02-2013, 22:39   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are we all invited to your 21st Dave
You are , but its a couple of years away yet.

The thing with comparison sites is that you only have to enter your details once, and they get quotes from all the different companies for you.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 23:03   #25

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seems like us folks out here in the colonies are behind the times on this equality thing ... we prefer to leave it up to actuaries. Over on this side of the pond, young, single males under 25 pay large for insurance. Married males pay less. And young women, even less. It ain't rocket science; it's actuarial science.
How terribly un-PC of you colonial types...next you'll be telling us that Canadians have to be able to swing an axe to become a 'lumberjack' as opposed to EU regulations that state you only need to wear a checked shirt and know the words of the lumberjack song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sZa26_esLBE

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..