Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2013, 12:39   #1

Car Insurance for young drivers

My youngest daughter is 18 and has bought a car as she has just started to learn to drive. She is searching for insurance that is affordable. Can anybody recommend a company that provides cheap (if such a thing exists) insurance

thanks in advance
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2013, 14:42   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Car Insurance for young drivers

I wish her luck. A friend of mine bought a lovely little VW for his grand daughter for £1000 as a present for when she passed her test. The cheapest insurance she could get was £3500. Needless to say they sold the car.
The EU equality ruling has ruined it for young women but not made it any cheaper for young men. The insurance companies must love it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:17   #3
Senior Member+

Best of luck with your quest.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:43   #4

Im afraid you will be looking at quotes £3000 upwards
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:51   #5

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Put my youngest on my insurance until she hit 21, she also got the 3 years no claims when she went solo...not sure if the insurance companies still do it after the EU ruling but may be worth asking
Old 22-02-2013, 18:24   #6
Resting in Peace

My Granddaughter is 24 and she pays an arm and a leg for insurance, not sure what it is this year but it was £1500 last term
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:50   #7
Senior Member+

A friend of mine has a daughter who is learning to drive at 17 years old, she intends to buy the daughter a car when she passes her test to travel to Westholme school and hopefully later to Uni.
The insurance company have told her that she could have some sort of black box fitted which restricts the hours she can drive, it would also monitors how she drives.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?
Old 22-02-2013, 19:53   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I wish her luck. A friend of mine bought a lovely little VW for his grand daughter for £1000 as a present for when she passed her test. The cheapest insurance she could get was £3500. Needless to say they sold the car.
The EU equality ruling has ruined it for young women but not made it any cheaper for young men. The insurance companies must love it.
Got round that. The car was registered in my name, insured by me, she was a named driver, I never drove it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:02   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Got round that. The car was registered in my name, insured by me, she was a named driver, I never drove it.
Seriously illegal. If she'd ever had to claim and they found out she wouldn't have been covered. Invalid/no insurance-police involved as well.
The main name insured has to state that they are the main driver.
They might have had a job proving you're not but if they suspected it they could with-hold any settlement.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:11   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The insurance company have told her that she could have some sort of black box fitted which restricts the hours she can drive, it would also monitors how she drives.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?
Aye Gremlin, have a read of this,

BBC News - The proliferation of the little black box
Old 22-02-2013, 22:25   #11
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Gremlin;1043359]A friend of mine has a daughter who is learning to drive at 17 years old, she intends to buy the daughter a car when she passes her test to travel to Westholme school and hopefully later to Uni.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?[/QU
I've heard of this little black box. My Step Grandson is waiting to take his test and when he passes he has been promised an Honda Jazz from his Grandad. He enquired about the Black Box and it didn't make his insurance that much less .he had been quoted about £3000 third party fire and theft and the Black Box would reduce it by about £400
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:53   #12

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Oddly enough Gary Lineker has just tweeted about this black box thing. Apparently it's called telematics.

Young Driver Car Insurance - ingenie® Black Box Insurance 17-25
Old 22-02-2013, 22:57   #13

Insured my lad with a company called young marmalade when he was learning but premiums rose sharply after he passed his test. Interesting philosophy they have tho.
Young Marmalade
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 23:25   #14
Senior Member+

I use moneysupermarket.com to trawl all the insurance companies on my behalf. I have always managed to get my policy at the same price or cheaper.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:58   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I use moneysupermarket.com to trawl all the insurance companies on my behalf. I have always managed to get my policy at the same price or cheaper.
Are we all invited to your 21st Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..