Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2011, 14:22   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Carpet Fitting?

Daughter is gonna get her living room carpeted, has a laminate floor at the moment, she has been told its £60 to have it lifted,plus a disposal fee also, my question is does it have to be removed? i fail to see the reason n suspect this may be a con, to get extra dosh outa her? anyone know the score wi this or what?
Old 18-10-2011, 15:45   #2
God Member

Re: Carpet Fitting?

Looks like many people have asked the same
laying carpet on a laminate floor - Google Search
...and a browse of their replies says it needn't be lifted.

PS If I was her I would get a BIG rug (doesn't need fitting)

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-10-2011 at 15:48.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 16:06   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Laminate is not fastened down, it floats on an underlay so it comes up really easy. Can she not remove the angle bits that stick on the skirting board and just lift up the laminate herself?

It is usually just a case of getting hold of the edge and folding it upwards at the long side join. If it does not want to lift up try at the opposite wall because you start at one side and slot it in and fold it down.

One problem with leaving it down is that after underlay and carpet the floor level will raise quite a bit and will need the bottom of the door cutting off.

I think its best to remove it personally.
Another thought is that the nails on the carpet gripper rails will pin the laminate to the floorboards, this will mean the laminate will no longer float and with expansion/ contraction you could end up with the laminate lifting in the middle of the room.

Why is she getting rid of it and going back to a carpet - just being nosey
Old 18-10-2011, 18:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Laminate is not fastened down, it floats on an underlay so it comes up really easy. Can she not remove the angle bits that stick on the skirting board and just lift up the laminate herself?

It is usually just a case of getting hold of the edge and folding it upwards at the long side join. If it does not want to lift up try at the opposite wall because you start at one side and slot it in and fold it down.

One problem with leaving it down is that after underlay and carpet the floor level will raise quite a bit and will need the bottom of the door cutting off.

I think its best to remove it personally.
Another thought is that the nails on the carpet gripper rails will pin the laminate to the floorboards, this will mean the laminate will no longer float and with expansion/ contraction you could end up with the laminate lifting in the middle of the room.

Why is she getting rid of it and going back to a carpet - just being nosey
Not really shes due in 4 weeks, getting rid fer kids plus comfort. though sod all to do wi you yeh nosey git.
Old 19-10-2011, 08:26   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I was only asking as I put it down in our dining room a few months ago. I had been resisting for years because I thought it would be cold and horrible to walk on with nothing on your feet. I was right it is cold and horrible but I do think it looks nice in here.

I am thinking of it for the kitchen next but am a little worried about it getting wet and how I will edge around the cupboards as we have some 'funny bits' that will be hard to cover.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..