Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 19:36   #1
Resting in Peace

Cctv

do you use cctv for your home... I am thinking of getting it set up because yet again I have had plants nicked and damage to my fence:

Are there any firms in Accrington/Blackburn that do this that you know of, or is it easy to do yourself:

Shame that we have to think like this...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2007, 19:59   #2
God Member

Re: Cctv

I have it because we used to get cars damaged on the street, I did get a "night" camera from Argos but the quality of the pics at night was naff so I took it back, bought a camera off Ebay and a rotator (car not always parked in same place) and thats good night pictures (black and white) has 72 Infra red LED's, range of about 30 feet in total darkness
Very easy to set up, just 1 plug to go into the AV socket on your TV or video (2 plugs if you get one that record sound) and 1 plug for the power

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 20:01   #3

Try yellow pages, there are quite a lot of firms do it these days. Just make sure you get one with decent picture quality(nothing worse then seeing it being done but not being to make out who did it). And as for doing it yourself from what i have been told its pretty straight forward if you know what your doing.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 20:02   #4
mez
God Member

i set one up a few years ago with the equipment from argos it wasnt too expensive either for the light & camera boy did it work, had it going into the video recorder on my telly that was in front bedroom the camera & light was on back bedroom window ledge outside.
Old 05-09-2007, 20:08   #5
God Member

One thing to take into account when looking for cameras is the better ones usually have BNC connectors rather than phono plugs, you just need an adaptor for a couple of quid to connect to your Tv/Video

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-09-2007, 20:16   #6
God Member

Another point to remember is be careful where you point it, its Ok on your property but if it goes as far as the pavement, road or neighbours garden you can be asked to remove it, anyone is also able to request a copy of the tape if you are recording.
I've only been asked once for the tape, that was a policewoman when a neighbours car got damaged by another car and the driver didn't stop, guess what, I wasn't recording

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-09-2007, 22:41   #7

Yes i think you do need something like that like this week some one put a small tack in to the key hole of my yale lock at my door and beleve me if i would of got them there hands would of be lost.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:10   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Another point to remember is be careful where you point it, its Ok on your property but if it goes as far as the pavement, road or neighbours garden you can be asked to remove it, anyone is also able to request a copy of the tape if you are recording.
I've only been asked once for the tape, that was a policewoman when a neighbours car got damaged by another car and the driver didn't stop, guess what, I wasn't recording

I'm confused. If you can only film your own garden how can the film (if there was one) help the police find who had damaged your neighbour's car? That wouldn't show on the film would it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:15   #9
Resting in Peace

I will film what I like... if I don't feel safe in my own home ( which I don't) I also have rights: I mean lets face it even if they catch them what will they do: that said it will help me to know who it is that's doing the damage... there is more than one way to skin a cat:
thanks for the advice given, I think I will get someone in to set it up ( I can't even record corrie let alone would be thugs...)
will let you know when its all set up: such a shame we have to do this kind of thing: still that's life:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:41   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You don't want to be using a video recorder to record. In fact you don't want to be using tape at all. You need a proper CCTV hard disc recorder. They are getting cheaper all the time. If you use tape you will forget to change it and you will not be recording all the time. With a hard disc cctv recorder (not the usual ones for recording TV) they record all the time. When they are full they save over the oldest video. This means they are always working. The cheap ones will usually record a week or two so if something happens you have that long to look back over the recording.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:08   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm confused. If you can only film your own garden how can the film (if there was one) help the police find who had damaged your neighbour's car? That wouldn't show on the film would it?
Lets say your only "supposed" to film your own property My camera points to my car, just never been told to remove it, that day might come though.

www.ubuntu.com

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..