Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 12:43   #16

Re: Cctv

That's OK Mez. I am not annoyed or anything, just simply replying.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2004, 12:46   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Are you absolutely sure it is the youth to blame? We grew up in the 50's & 60's with parents that TAUGHT us respect & discipline.

The youth of today are growing up with US for parents & from what I have observed we have caused this situation because we wiped our hands of the responsibility of caring about anything but our own little worlds.

We continue along this selfish vain by blaming them for something that we may well have caused.
Hang on a minute Less, don't fall into the trap of generalising here yourself. I am one of today's parents with responsibility of caring for my children and I do care for them. I do not accept that I have caused today's situation. I try to teach my children respect but the law says I am not allowed to teach discipline in the way I was disciplined - much as I would like to and for that I have been accused on these forums of child abuse because I said that I don't think that making smacking illegal is a good idea and admitting to having smacked my children when they were too young to understand a reasoned argument.

It brings to mind the recent news story of a father banned from contact with his family for six months because a police officer saw him smack his son in public - the son had been running out in front of cars and a smack was used as a last resort attempt to stop him doing that. It seems we are better thought of if we allow our toddlers to run into the path of oncoming vehicles and possibly get killed. Somehow that is considered kinder than a smack to prevent them doing so.

Quote:
Some of todays youth are not the type of people that you want to meet but they must be in a minority because there would be absolute terror on the streets if they were all like that.

I find that the majority of young people are just after the same thing we are a little bit of respect & not to be blamed for all that is wrong in a world which they have inherited from their parents.

Try talking to some of them, not just lumping them all together, maybe you will find it quite refreshing that their real aims in life are not too disimilar from your own!
It's easy to lump people together in groups like "youth of today" and "parents of today" but of course we all know we don't mean ALL youth and ALL parents. However, it does seem that we have far more lawlessness now than we've had in the past - or does every generation feel the same? That doesn't mean that all, or even the majority are to blame, but a large minority are a problem. Hence the necessity for the CCTV cameras. I remember years ago a friend of my mother's got mugged and it was sensational because muggings just didn't happen in Accy - since then they have become far too common. Let's just hope it doesn't become a greater minority so that we do end up with mayhem on the streets here - some places already have it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 19:45   #18

[I][B]hi there
i might be taking a pub over in the town. i was told it was or should i say used to be a social club? can anyone let me know about it as i am not sure what its called but would like to know all about it please
regards
kath xxxx
kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 19:53   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen
[I][B]hi there
i might be taking a pub over in the town. i was told it was or should i say used to be a social club? can anyone let me know about it as i am not sure what its called but would like to know all about it please
regards
kath xxxx
I might tell you about it, it could be the pub that was a club but isn't any-more it's very popular with people like me that only give a vague description of what is going on around them because reality is a thing of the past. From the description you give how-ever I am sure that myself & the rest of the occupants of this asylum will welcome you with open arms.

P.S. What sort of slate do you do?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 20:06   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

On a serious note it might help this lady if her question was moved to nightlife etc.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 06:45   #21
Resident Waffler

It might help if she could give us a clue whereabouts it is. I heard King St club is changing hands.

Old 17-12-2004, 12:51   #22

Hi There
Thanks for the reply. The only info i have on the pub is that it used to be a club and it is on JAMES ST
Old 17-12-2004, 12:51   #23

Thanks Once Again For The Reply
Old 17-12-2004, 13:11   #24
Resting in peace

Whether or not the youth of today are worse generally, CCTV has made life safer for a lot of people. Yobboes don't like being caught (although if Lord Woolf has his way, all they will get is a slap on the wrist and a nice holiday).

As to the Big Brother idea, yes, it is open to misuse, but so is everything else. Those who are law-abiding are far less worried - I do wonder about the Civil Rights lobby - as far as I can see, CCTV helps to protect MY rights not to be mugged or assaulted.

Hopefully the pendulum is swinging back - it is a ridiculous situation when if I hit a burglar who has broken into my home and threatened me over the head, I can be sent to prison. If it was open season on burglars, then there would be fewer of them willing to risk it.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 13:23   #25
Resident Waffler

Slap on the wrist? I don't think that's allowed these days.

We haven't got a James Street Kathleen but we do have a Saint James Street - named after the church. It sounds like you're talking about The Bees Knees aka The Derby or whatever it's called again now.

Old 17-12-2004, 13:24   #26
Resting in peace

Kathleen - If it is the Bees Knees, please don't let the bar staff play the music so loud. The only time we were there, it blew the wax out of my ears!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 14:27   #27
mez
God Member

are you sure its accy kathleen? theres a james st club up ossy, could that not be it?
Old 17-12-2004, 17:45   #28
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
After reading a lot of threads, I have come across mention of CCTV several times. Why does Accy need CCTV? If it does, what's happened to Accy that it needs it. Does the youth of Accy need a collective kick up the a*** or what? Or is it just general mayhem? If Accy needs CCTV then it seems to me there must be a lot of sick sods about. I know the world has changed but hell! to that extent?
Here we go then!i have a public house....ooops....sorry...an INN...This has got cameras all over inside and out,Why you ask?the reason is if anything happened to me my family or my customers it is all recorded and valuable information to the police!It also deters a..h....s who want to go out and offend the majority of good people who only wish for a pleasent night out with family or friends!THE ACCY WEBBERS calm down when they are out on the lash because i could transfer it onto live cam and show the world what party animals they are..he..heee.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 11:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Hopefully the pendulum is swinging back - it is a ridiculous situation when if I hit a burglar who has broken into my home and threatened me over the head, I can be sent to prison. If it was open season on burglars, then there would be fewer of them willing to risk it.
Second that Pendy. What a totally bloody barmy situation that is. Anyone should have the right to defend themselves in their own home if someone breaks in. And when I say "defend themselves", I mean to the ultimate extent. When someone breaks into your home, there is no way of knowing how far that person is prepared to go to get whatever it is they want. They could be there to kill, steal, rape who the hell knows? As victims, we have to assume that they are prepared to cause us bodily harm to achieve their aims, so if I have to kill them to ensure that they don't get what they want and/or harm my family, that should be my right. They shouldn't bloody-well be there in the first place. Shoot first and ask the questions afterwards!

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 14:27   #30
Senior Member+

I'm with you on this one JohnW.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..