Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 06:30   #1

Cctv

After reading a lot of threads, I have come across mention of CCTV several times. Why does Accy need CCTV? If it does, what's happened to Accy that it needs it. Does the youth of Accy need a collective kick up the a*** or what? Or is it just general mayhem? If Accy needs CCTV then it seems to me there must be a lot of sick sods about. I know the world has changed but hell! to that extent?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2004, 14:26   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Cctv

In my experience when a town is first kitted out with CCTV the crime rate drops dramatically. Everyone is aware of those cameras moving around and spontaneous muggings and theft will all but disappear in the town centre.

After a while, two things will happen. Crime and muggings will start to take place in areas outside of the cameras view especially on housing estates.... and there will also be the "idiots" that forget about the cameras completely and so the police will make more arrests as a result.

In my old town of Dunstable, cameras have been installed for a number of years and they have "witnessed" three murders that I can remember plus many serious incidents mostly outside nightclubs late at night.

They have been so effective that neighbouring towns have followed suite mostly by demand of the people that live in that area. They are expensive to operate but if a council can afford them, they are definitely beneficial and the feeling of "Big Brother watching us" is quickly lost.
Old 04-12-2004, 15:23   #3

Thank you very much busman for answering my question. I wasn't concerned about them from a 'decent citizens" point of view in the sense of 'big brother' I was concerned that Accy needs them i.e. is the crime rate that bad in Accy. When I was a young fella, one could walk about anywhere in Accy night or day and not be concerned at such things as e.g.muggings. In another post someone advised me that if I come back to Accy for a visit to bring some body armour I wondered why.

It seems a shame to me that the state of affairs in Accy warrants their introduction. I am a retired cop myself and totally ignorant generally of the crime rate in U.K. Still. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
I am quite sure of course that they would be of great help to Police.
Old 04-12-2004, 15:40   #4
Resting in Peace

I use to live on Rutland street , i told the wife i was just going to the shop
i went out my front door got to the side of the house and was shot at by kids with ( AS THE POLICE TOLD ME LATER) 1 of the most high powerd air guns you can get i was hit it the thigh and had to go to hospital to have it removed.
So accy is not that quiet now
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 15:42   #5
Resting in Peace

The same kids had fired at a wired glass window and the slug had gone right through and hit a guy inside.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 21:35   #6
Senior Member+

And I thought parts of my town were bad.

You were lucky not to have been more seriously hurt
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:02   #7

After having read all 125 posts started by lampman back in October in the thread 'Young people today' I have now got my answer to my question in this thread. The answer to lampmans Q. is yes. Todays youth are far worse than they were in the 50's and early 60's regardless of individual stories and the like from either era. It's a shameful fact but that's life. For those of you who have lived in Accy since those days this situation has crept up on you slowly until the present day. For me having read many a post on this forum, and having been away for 40 years, the difference is radical from then to present day. We loved our parents and they loved us despite the real discipline we received.(not to be confused with physical abuse) We respected our parents, teachers and Police. I know that a lot of the young today do the same but 'yobboism' is apparently a lot more prevalent than it was. They never had the same brand od discipline.

Yes I think you definitely need CCTV in Accy.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:20   #8

Red face Re: Cctv

We have CCTV in Doncaster and it does make you feel a bit safer when out and about at night, but when I lived in Accy I always felt safe and the states I used to fall out of the pubs in on a weekend this was defo a good thing...

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:26   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
The answer to lampmans Q. is yes. Todays youth are far worse than they were in the 50's and early 60's regardless of individual stories and the like from either era. It's a shameful fact but that's life.
Are you absolutely sure it is the youth to blame? We grew up in the 50's & 60's with parents that TAUGHT us respect & discipline.

The youth of today are growing up with US for parents & from what I have observed we have caused this situation because we wiped our hands of the responsibility of caring about anything but our own little worlds.

We continue along this selfish vain by blaming them for something that we may well have caused.

Some of todays youth are not the type of people that you want to meet but they must be in a minority because there would be absolute terror on the streets if they were all like that.

I find that the majority of young people are just after the same thing we are a little bit of respect & not to be blamed for all that is wrong in a world which they have inherited from their parents.

Try talking to some of them, not just lumping them all together, maybe you will find it quite refreshing that their real aims in life are not too disimilar from your own!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:00   #10
mez
God Member

hear, hear, less i agree totally with what youve just said. ive always said it was "my generation" the 50's 60's that decided that our children would be brought up different, look wot the result is, no ALL THE CHILDREN arnt bad, most are just misled, id like to be the first (on this thread ) to say chuck the telly away & get back to talking.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:02   #11

I wasn't aware that I had apportioned any blame. I am quite aware of what human beings are. I answered lampmans Q. According to all the posts in this forum, they are worse than in my era. End of story. Yesteryear. I or anyone else for that matter could walk around Accy night or day without any fear at all. Not so today. That's a fact. As to reasons why, read all the posts I mentioned in the above thread of lampmans. You won't find a definitive answer. But you can rest assured that discipline either given or not given is one of the answers.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:15   #12

I also suggest that you read my post more carefully...Quote. "We respected our parents, teachers and Police. I know that a lot of young people today do the same thing.."
Old 10-12-2004, 12:22   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Was it safe for people in the fifties when some (not all) 'Teddy Boys' carried cut throat razors? Was it safe in the sixties to go to the seaside IN BROAD DAYLIGHT when the mods & rockers had gone to meet for the day?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:31   #14
mez
God Member

sorry if you got the wrong impression terry, i for one & im sure less agrees we are not saying that you were apportioning blame on anyone, i was agreeing with you too , that things in accy have changed,& not always for the better, hence the cctv cameras!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:38   #15

Accy teddy boys didn't carry cut throat razors. There were a couple from Manchester who were caught one night during the late 50's with same. We didn't see those two again. Seaside in the sixties??? Accy isn't seaside. I have got no idea whatsoever what happened at seaside resorts in the 60's re rockers or anyone else. I am talking Accy. One single cop could walk amongst the Teddy boy youth that used to accumulate in front of the Town Hall on Saturday nights and be completely safe because he knew we had respect for the law and he would know that if anyone touched him we would all be on his side. Today.... nope.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..