Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2012, 07:46   #46
God Member

Re: Chaigley Manor Trust

I had one holiday there, My memories are of the freezing cold swimming pool, rubbing bread paper on the slide to make it faster( the wrappers used to be waxed!) sleeping in that room with all those other lads and the midnight feats of sweets you had bought in the tuck shop. I recall there was a snooker table but it took forever to wait for your turn to play. A lovely old house and great memories, shame its still not going.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2020, 09:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Further to previous questions about the future of Chaigley Trust, I spotted the following on the LET website:-

MAJOR changes have been announced by a Hyndburn charity which now plans to spend its legacy providing mountain biking and archery activites for children.
The Chaigley Manor Trust came under fire earlier this year over the spending of a £625,000 fund left for children in the borough.
The trustees have now changed the name of the charity to To Inspire, severing links to Chaigley Manor, which was a grand house in the Ribble Valley owned by the people of Hyndburn and used as a holiday home for deprived youngsters of the borough.
Trustee Nicole Cook said the new charity is days away from signing a deal to take over the lease at the Stephen Park Training and Activity Complex in Gisburn Forest and it should be open early in the New Year.
Officials said the project would see facilities for children including mountain bike tracks, archery, woodcraft workshops and den building available.
Mrs Cook said: “We had hoped that it would be up and running by now but there have been some delays.
“It will primarily be for the children of Hyndburn and will be free for those who cannot afford to go away on holidays.
“We also want to involve the schools in the borough.”
The lease will cost an initial £100,000 for the site, which is currently being managed by Knowsley CVS. The group will continue to work alongside To Inspire, Hyndburn & Ribble Valley CVS and the Forestry Commission to develop various projects for children.
She said residential facilities for 35 people would be available at the site and at least eight jobs will be created. There will also be facilities for day visitors.
Mrs Cook added: “It will operate in a very similar way to Chaigley Manor and I’m sure it will be popular.
“It will get children out of the towns and into the countryside having fun but also learning about nature. As soon as we sign the lease we will begin to take bookings.”
Chaigley Manor was sold in 2001 for £625,000 in 2001 and the fund was put into the care of the Chaigley Manor Trust.
A ruling was made that the interest - around £25,000 per year - should be spent on worthy causes annually.

I like the idea - Hyndburn kids have missed out since Chaigley Manor closed.
None of this ever happened!
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:31   #48

Strange that Knowsley BC have denied ever having any involvement in Stephen Park, and that the lease subsequently came directly from the Forestry Commission without any payment by way of premium. Perhaps Mrs Cook might like to comment.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..