Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12   #1
Resting in Peace

Christmas Dinner

Years ago I always went out for Christmas Dinner, places like the Dunk, Marthome Grange, and for a few years the Steak Bar in Ossy, it was my Brother-in-Laws place. Does anybody still do this and what are prices like today
Old 04-12-2008, 15:36   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Christmas Dinner

where was the steak bar in ossy ? I remember it but can't think where the hell it was:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 16:28   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
where was the steak bar in ossy ? I remember it but can't think where the hell it was:
It was next door to Owen and Ewing Insurance agents, which was midway between the Civic Theatre and Rhyddings Street, the premises is now part of that firm
Old 04-12-2008, 17:39   #4
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Its usually about 35-50 quid a head for xmas day

We have been out a number of years, this year its just julie siobhan and me so we are having a quiet one for just the 3 of us
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 17:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Repeating past threads on this, but back to the Balti Stan for dinner (not lunchtime .. gotta wait still stomach wakes up !). They are extremely friendly there, and the surroundings are cosy and welcoming and you can stay as long as you wish.

Good news is my daughter and grandaughter has decided to join us ... as daughter appears to have got over her aversion to the smell of Indian food (can have Turkey with trimmings). So just my small family of 5.

Last year could only get in at late notice for an English 'venue' at the Red Lion Whitebirk on Christmas Eve .. was very poor food, poor lighting and surroundings, and they hurried us out to prepare for Christmas Day. Maybe different this year though, so don't wish to slate them too much.

Would not even think about cooking now on Christmas day.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 18:31   #6
Resting in Peace

The usual tin of Ye Old Oak Ham Cut thin to last 4days!

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 18:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Would not even think about cooking now on Christmas day.
from what ya once told me kate, ya don't think about cooking much "ANY" day.
Old 04-12-2008, 19:38   #8
Senior Member+

I have lived up here for 7 years and apart from last year i have always eaten xmas dinner at lovely restaurants/hotels in the country usually, they have charged roughly £90 a head.
Now i have a little family of my own we eat at home (hubbys a fab cook!).

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 20:39   #9
God Member

well its always been xmas day at home for me, I used to love it with all the kids around, Ive always enjoyed cooking xmas dinner and watching the kids play with thier toys. (all grown up now) Sadly this year my three boys are all otherwise engaged, one familty commitments of his own and the other two are working
So its just hubby me and the three girls ...and to compensate ..yayyyy Our grandson. really looking foward to that. but might start thinking of spending future xmas days either out for a meal of on holiday. (we,ll see)
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
from what ya once told me kate, ya don't think about cooking much "ANY" day.
Thats a novel way of asking for a slap cashy
Old 05-12-2008, 17:57   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats a novel way of asking for a slap cashy
I would Jaysay, but is bordering on the truth.

I'm quite happy to cook plain food for myself now, but don't mind other people cooking something more exotic for me Food is just food to me to keep my body healthy. Really admire women (and men) who produce lovely exciting meals every day. Just find it surfeit to my requirements.
Old 05-12-2008, 18:40   #12
God Member

Quote:

I'm quite happy to cook plain food for myself now, but don't mind other people cooking something more exotic for me Food is just food to me to keep my body healthy. Really admire women (and men) who produce lovely exciting meals every day. Just find it surfeit to my requirements.
"Surfeit to my requirements" Do you always talk like this .... or are you smoking something that might interest me And if you like something exotic, may I suggest some Giant Condor; tastes a lot like Whooping Crane only a little saltier .......
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 21:17   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Surfeit to my requirements" Do you always talk like this .... or are you smoking something that might interest me And if you like something exotic, may I suggest some Giant Condor; tastes a lot like Whooping Crane only a little saltier .......
Yes, I do always speak like this ... got an issue with it ?

Am a salt addict, but not sure they sell Giant Condor on Accy market
Old 05-12-2008, 22:31   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Xmas dinner, in this house, will be salmon-en-croute (Sainsbury's) as my daughter and granddaughter, who live with me, are non-meat eaters. Daughter will prepare the vegetables and pudding will be the endless boxes of chocolates we seem to acquire every Xmas - washed down with port, brandy etc.

Boxing Day will see me and all my children and grandchildren at a local hostelry which has an excellent carvery and deliciously wicked puddings. Later, we will have a buffet (most of which is already in my freezers), an awful lot of champagne and other booze, and some very silly board games.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well it would be no good me saying come round for a meal kate, I'm worse than you, but I can grill a steak and do a fry up, so I won't starve

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..