Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 12:52   #16
God Member

Re: Christmas spendings?

Spend only what you can afford at Xmas! It's not celebrating your child's birthday. It's more celebrating festivity and family time, all of which don't have to incur extensive credit card charges. If you haven't got a lot, don't spend a lot. Concentrate on what's important. Time together
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 14:34   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with west ender, it never occured to me "how much" to spend on each child, peer pressure has much to answer for.to me its too easy to get in debt these days due to it. get what you can afford, without the debt, plenty of love n happyness n any child will have a great xmas.
Old 20-11-2007, 21:35   #18
Resting in Peace

The best gift you can give a child is your time....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 22:38   #19
Senior Member+

the thing is you can spend £100 on just 5 toys so when im spending £150/200 on each child and you think thats too much!! well its not when it only buys you a a main present and a few smaller presents, my kids dont have a huge pile of toys the money doesnt actually go that far
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 23:04   #20
God Member

My daughter is spending £150 each on her three which is a lot in my eyes. They also get loads of stuff off extended family, all in all I think kids today get far to much. It is time we got back to good old traditional values IMO.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:58   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

Too many people think they must spend serious money on children at Christmas or they will appear mean and unloving. Too many children, and their parents, feel they have to keep up with the Joneses with the latest "must have" items. What's good about a parent spending a small fortune, only to spend the rest of the following year worrying about paying off the credit card bill? It's not what Christmas, really, should be about.
Old 21-11-2007, 13:04   #22
Senior Member+

children are told that if they are good santa will fetch them what they want... this means that parents will over spend to make sure their children are not disapointed... i save all year and buy presents in the new year and summer sales to make sure my lad gets everything he asks for... sometimes if i get something he doesnt know he wants yet.. i mention it a few times, it usually ends up on the list...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 13:40   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter wants a wii and she's going to get one - with her birthday and Christmas money in the new year. She's asked relations for money and vouchers, in lieu of presents, and saved her birthday money from October (she was 8) so she can buy one. No particular reward for being good, she's expected to be good no matter what, and she's never disappointed because she doesn't expect to get everything she'd like.
Old 21-11-2007, 14:16   #24
God Member

Think it has gone to far in the direction of kids getting everything they want. They should be able to behave all the time otherwise you would spend all year buying treats as bribes.
Old 21-11-2007, 14:55   #25
Passed away 25-11-09

Too true, Bernadette. The only "bribe" I ever used with my kids was the threat, if there was an incidence of bad behaviour near Christmas, that they would get absolutely nothing if it happened again.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:00   #26
God Member

That was the way I was thinking rather than you can have everything you want if you are good, You will lose a present if you are bad.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:35   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

I suppose you and I would be accused of being "negative" by today's forward thinkers. You haven't to punish bad behaviour, you have to use "positive reinforcement". I accept it works quite well when training dogs but kids just won't perform well for a biscuit.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:40   #28
Senior Member+

positive reinforcment means rewarding the child with a treat,or a smile and attention when they are good and ignoring the bad behaviour.. this works very well with attention seeking behaviour...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 16:03   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I suppose you and I would be accused of being "negative" by today's forward thinkers. You haven't to punish bad behaviour, you have to use "positive reinforcement". I accept it works quite well when training dogs but kids just won't perform well for a biscuit.
A biscuit they want a computer game if they are good these days
Old 21-11-2007, 16:56   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
positive reinforcment means rewarding the child with a treat,or a smile and attention when they are good and ignoring the bad behaviour.. this works very well with attention seeking behaviour...
Thats my eldest on permanent ignore then, at that 'orrible age where the completely deaf ears kick in & they know it all more than u stage, that absolutely drains the patience of a saint - even threats of having nowt [& its not empty threats either]

Someone just wants to be on santa's naughty list of having nowt

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..