Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2013, 17:29   #1
Full Member+

Clarence pub, Blackburn precinct 1970's

Does anyone remember the Clarence pub that used to be in the Blackburn shopping precinct in the 70's /80's.? I had my first underage drink in there, aged 14 after going to see the rock group Saxon at King Georges hall. Asking around, noone seems to know what I'm talking about. The precinct wasn't shut off at night in those days.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2013, 18:06   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Clarence pub, Blackburn precinct 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Does anyone remember the Clarence pub that used to be in the Blackburn shopping precinct in the 70's /80's.? I had my first underage drink in there, aged 14 after going to see the rock group Saxon at King Georges hall. Asking around, noone seems to know what I'm talking about. The precinct wasn't shut off at night in those days.
All the door staff at the Cav used to meet in the Clarence for a drink before going on duty, we weren't allowed to drink while working, officially that is, was quite busy form 7-30 to 8-15 every night
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 22:33   #3
Senior Member+

Was that the one on the way out of the Market - opposite end to Penny(?) Street, Jay?
Old 19-04-2013, 08:34   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Was that the one on the way out of the Market - opposite end to Penny(?) Street, Jay?
Faced onto Lords square Barrie, was the first on the right as you went into the precinct, Penny Street was further down, there was a pub there on Penny Street near Readies Music shop, can't think of the name, and I used to go every money when it was groups jamming night.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:53   #5
Super Moderator

I recall a pub which I think was called The Regent on the next block up from Reedys - it was a fairly modern building, but it's now gone. Used to go and see bands there on a Saturday night about thirty years ago. Can't remember the Clarence, but was it called St John's Tavern originally or is that a different pub?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 19-04-2013 at 10:02. Reason: Remembered name of pub!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 10:50   #6
Full Member+

I think st. John's Tavern was the one on Ainsworth st. Near the spiral stairway.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 11:35   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Naughty girl westendlass 14 is much too old to start underage drinking.
Eric likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 13:25   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I recall a pub which I think was called The Regent on the next block up from Reedys - it was a fairly modern building, but it's now gone. Used to go and see bands there on a Saturday night about thirty years ago. Can't remember the Clarence, but was it called St John's Tavern originally or is that a different pub?
That was the one that I remembered Wyn, the St. John's Tavern, just couldn't remember the name
Old 19-04-2013, 13:34   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I can remember the Clarence, though were exactly it was in centre i cannot recall, Think i went in it once when going cav to see Edwin Starr,
Old 19-04-2013, 14:17   #10
God Member

The Clarence was in the precinct overlooking Lord Square.
It closed when the Cav burnt down due to a dramatic fall in trade.
Both the Clarence and St John's Tavern where Thwaites managed houses.
The manager of the Clarence, Noel was a part time stocktaker at Thwaites.
Bill and Milly Dean were the managers of the Tavern.
I was working for Thwaites at the time.

The Original St John's Tavern was next to St John's Church, corner of Victoria St and Ainsworth St.
The original Clarence pub was on Lord St opposite the old Market Square. circa Thwaites Arcade.
cashman likes this.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 19-04-2013 at 14:26.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 14:21   #11
Full Member+

Waterloo was the pub on Penny St , then it changed it name to Underground. I do remember the Clarence,I always admired the bar there as there was a coil of rope decorating the front of it.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 14:24   #12

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I'm the same as Cashy, knew I'd drunk in there but couldn't for the life of me remember where it was or what it looked like...thank god for facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
cashman and Royboy39 like this.
Old 19-04-2013, 14:29   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Cheers guinness would never have remembered that,in a month of sundays.
Old 19-04-2013, 14:44   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Waterloo was the pub on Penny St , then it changed it name to Underground. I do remember the Clarence,I always admired the bar there as there was a coil of rope decorating the front of it.
No, the Waterloo, later Daniels was on the opposite side of the street from the pub where the bands used to appear that me and I reckon Jay are thinking about.
Old 19-04-2013, 14:52   #15
Full Member+

oops sorry , didn't read the other threads thorough.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..