Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 17:32   #1
Full Member+

Clarks of Broad Oak Farm

I am looking into my wife's family tree and I would like to pick the brains of local historians.

Her Grandma can be traced to Broad Oak Farm pre 1920 but I am not sure if the farm pre dates the building of the Broad Oak print works as the dates are a little confused.

It is early days in this thread of the research but any information or pointers would be gratefully received.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Clarks of Broad Oak Farm

A quick answer, Pat - the 'new' factory was built on farm land. The farm would most likely be there before the factory, and probably gave its name to the factory. Broad Oak gets several mentions in the index of 'Old Homesteads of Accrington' but I haven't time to look. In the library is an index/list of al of Accrington's farms. It was compiled by Retlaw, so we may be hearing from him soon
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 19:17   #3
Full Member+

Thanks Bob
We are aware of much of the history but we have a few specific questions to find the answers to, mostly to do with specific dates which don't correlate. I am told that the old pig sty of Broad Oak Farm is still visible, if you know where to look.

What is the truth about the book 'Old Homesteads', I have read that there are quite a few inaccuracies in there. Is this true or is there some sort of tit for tat game going on there.

We are in the process of putting names to faces of just under 1000 photos which were discovered in a loft in Rising Bridge. All family connected but some of the older ones are proving a problem to ID. We are in touch with several local forums and will make the photos public once we have scanned them all in. It would be much easier if we only had this to do but unfortunately, the day jobs get in the way.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 06-01-2014, 20:26   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A quick answer, Pat - the 'new' factory was built on farm land. The farm would most likely be there before the factory, and probably gave its name to the factory. Broad Oak gets several mentions in the index of 'Old Homesteads of Accrington' but I haven't time to look. In the library is an index/list of al of Accrington's farms. It was compiled by Retlaw, so we may be hearing from him soon
In the 1790 survey of New Accrington, Oak is valued at 35 pounds & 15 shillings, Broad Oak Works is not mentioned, how ever on the Broad Oak Works Estate Plan circa 1810, most of the names of the lands are the same as the 1790 Oak survey.
Broad Oak Farm was in existance for many many years and was known as a Fold, of which there were several in Accrington. A Fold is a small settlement which can be sealed of from invaders, in the olden days the Scots were regular visitors to Lancashire.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-01-2014 at 20:28. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
in the olden days the Scots were regular visitors to Lancashire.
And even now, have a wander round Blackpool in the Summer, Porridgemunchers everywhere!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And even now, have a wander round Blackpool in the Summer, Porridgemunchers everywhere!
I don't particularly like blackpool and never have done.
I think the people your refering to are also known as sheep sh***rs.
Old 07-01-2014, 15:04   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
[B]
I think the people your referring to are also known as sheep sh***rs.
Careful, Retlaw, or you'll offend any Welsh men on here. Being friendly with sheep is their birthright, they wouldn't like sharing their sheep with a Scotsman.

Anyway,the Scots have their own pastimes- getting drunk and playing with their haggis.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:10   #8
Senior Member+

Another mis-spelling from Retlaw.
Old 07-01-2014, 16:24   #9
Senior Member+

Unlike you, Bob, I was too polite to comment. I just corrected it.
Old 07-01-2014, 16:34   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Unlike you, Bob, I was too polite to comment. I just corrected it.
Both of you can get knotted
Gordon Booth likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 16:39   #11
Senior Member+

Retlaw, I felt it only fair to make allowances for a man who can't tell a 'sporterised .303' from an air rifle!

Just a small point- I don't think there's such a word as 'sporterised'. I could, of course, be wrong.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:49   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Retlaw, I felt it only fair to make allowances for a man who can't tell a 'sporterised .303' from an air rifle!

Just a small point- I don't think there's such a word as 'sporterised'. I could, of course, be wrong.
I'm sssoooo sorry for using words you don't know about, there must be several 1000's in the dictionary you don't know. I should probalby said converted for sport or game shooting, and that was no Air Rifle.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:49   #13
Full Member+

What is wrong with sheep shearers anyway?
They do a great job in poor working conditions and we tree hugging, wool wearing friends of newts are grateful to them. I have to say that out of all the variety of newt, I am drawn towards those pistazza ones.

I have been working my way through the maps on the lancashire.gov.uk website, is this the best source for maps or are there better resources out there? I am particularly interested in the area around Rising Bridge as our quest for family knowledge has led us there.
The area to the South of Holland's pies / Paragon Mill is of particular interest. From the maps, I see there is a building, Lower Mill Cottages, was there a Lower Mill?

Old 07-01-2014, 19:13   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm sssoooo sorry for using words you don't know about, there must be several 1000's in the dictionary you don't know. I should probalby said converted for sport or game shooting, and that was no Air Rifle.
You're probalby right on both counts, Retlaw
Old 07-01-2014, 22:17   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
You're probalby right on both counts, Retlaw
Booth, that's the worst possible thing to say - the old ****** will be crowing with satisfaction now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..