Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 10:34   #1

Clog Fighting

Does anyone recall any stories or tales of clog fighting in Clayton-Le-Moors ? This was a popular sport amongst colliers at the beginning of the 20th century. I once heard this was quite a regular event on a Sunday night in Barnes Square.
ChrissieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2007, 11:07   #2
God Member

Re: Clog Fighting

Not sure about the early 20th century but this was still going strong on Saturday nights in the 70's..just after last orders outside the chinese on Blackburn road!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22   #3

ROFL
ChrissieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07   #4
God Member

I have never heard of it before but found this
SKAB - Shin Kicking Association of Britain
Ps they were NAKED!!!

Last edited by MargaretR; 10-09-2007 at 12:09.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 13:03   #5

Thanks
Wasn't it just brutal !!!
I'm researching for family history reasons
Old 10-09-2007, 14:20   #6
Resident Waffler

That is so barbaric and completely mad.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 14:26   #7
God Member

And we wonder about people today, there have been crazy folk around since time began!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 18:22   #8
Yank in King Art's Court!

Gosh, I thought you had mistyped and meant dog fighting!

Now I've got to picture me Granddad, as a young lad, working his butt off in the Ashton mines. Then, as a brief respite, getting naked and kicking the crap out of another naked bloke! THIS IS NOT A PRETTY PICTURE!!! (no sonder he joined WW I and then shipped out to the States!)

Brian

PS - Shou;ld one hand out negative karma for someone making you feel all yucky inside?

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 19:14   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Not sure about the early 20th century but this was still going strong on Saturday nights in the 70's..just after last orders outside the chinese on Blackburn road!
sorry for being pedantic mancie but it was the "Royal" then, i used to do the friday night disco in them days.lol have heard tales from owd colliers long ago about clog fighting, but the memorys a bit hazy these days, though "Bare Knuckle Fighting" is still going strong,mainly in the gypsy community, a mate has some videos of em n they are not for the faint hearted. theres "Big Money" involved in them occasions.
Old 11-09-2007, 18:10   #10
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
sorry for being pedantic mancie but it was the "Royal" then, i used to do the friday night disco in them days.lol have heard tales from owd colliers long ago about clog fighting, but the memorys a bit hazy these days, though "Bare Knuckle Fighting" is still going strong,mainly in the gypsy community, a mate has some videos of em n they are not for the faint hearted. theres "Big Money" involved in them occasions.
Thanks for that Cashy. I will erase the pic of me Granddad "clog fighting" and place him in the Bare Knuckles ring. Much better vision!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 17:33   #11
God Member

Quite often when I am reading posts on Accy Web, things come to the edge of my memory, I'm not quite sure they are correct, but they are there. I do believe I remember the term "porrin matches"; I may be wrong, but I think it was a term for clog fighting. But I do clearly remember wearing clogs, and what a weopon they would make!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..