Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2009, 02:24   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Con club

Here is a lovely reminder for those who went to the Con. The stage is different than I remember it, so maybe this photo is ....late 50's, very early 60's????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conclub60s.jpg (242.6 KB, 27 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2009, 04:32   #32

The stage was higher as I remember, seemed like shoulder hight, dont remember those entry doors on each side, they look fairly modern. there were seats around the sides but no tables.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:27   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
The stage was higher as I remember, seemed like shoulder hight, dont remember those entry doors on each side, they look fairly modern. there were seats around the sides but no tables.
I agree with all of that - my memories are from late 50s.
.....and the ceiling wasn't painted in garish colours either

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 08:55   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
'56 onwards the stage was definitely as you describe it Alan - cannot comment on the ceiling, even though I stared at it a couple of times, it must have been too dark to see the decor
Old 21-12-2009, 09:03   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yep from my day 63 stage was higher, also can't see the spinning ball in centre of ceiling on that pic, obviously did the room up fer my arrival.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:19   #36
Super Moderator

Yep, stage was higher and there were seats fixed around the walls. There were no tables and chairs there, as it would've got in the way of the "strollers" who walked round and round the outer perimeter of the dancefloor in an anti-clockwise direction (a strange custom, although I did the same at the time).

I reckon that photo must be from a more modern era.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:22   #37
Resting in Peace

That picture is taken after refurbishment in the 80s before it was sold, I actually watched them do it, I could even climb stairs in those days
Old 21-12-2009, 09:24   #38
Resting in Peace

Endorse everyone's memory as above ... was just two exits at either side of the stage to get to the bar, which ran along the back.

Never been in when it looked like this ... think last time I was there was probably around 73, and original higher stage was still there then.

Christmas and New Year's Eve were great nights ... you had to make sure you got tickets in advance or no go.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:52   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Endorse everyone's memory as above ... was just two exits at either side of the stage to get to the bar, which ran along the back.

Never been in when it looked like this ... think last time I was there was probably around 73, and original higher stage was still there then.

Christmas and New Year's Eve were great nights ... you had to make sure you got tickets in advance or no go.
The ticket were very expensive too kate, half-a-crown when I first bought mine, and how we complained when they put them up to three=and-six
Old 21-12-2009, 09:54   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That picture is taken after refurbishment in the 80s before it was sold, I actually watched them do it, I could even climb stairs in those days
Forgot to say the stage is at the other end of the room and the doors on each side of the stage are the emergency exits
Old 21-12-2009, 10:13   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The ticket were very expensive too kate, half-a-crown when I first bought mine, and how we complained when they put them up to three=and-six
Well .. 40% increase ... crikey ! Was that during Tory reign ...

Quote:
Forgot to say the stage is at the other end of the room and the doors on each side of the stage are the emergency exits

Really Jaysay, never picked up on that. ??
Old 21-12-2009, 11:10   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well .. 40% increase ... crikey ! Was that during Tory reign ...

Really Jaysay, never picked up on that. ??
Tory reign kate not at all, was during the Wilson Government
Old 21-12-2009, 11:10   #43
Senior Member+

it would've got in the way of the "strollers" who walked round and round the outer perimeter of the dancefloor in an anti-clockwise direction (a strange custom, although I did the same at the time).

We used to call this "The Accy Walk" - a fab excuse to walk round the dancers, eyeing up the talent. Tee hee. Arrgh, all us lasses would be dancing around our bags, then we too would do "the walk"! Hey, it wasnt just the guys who did the Accy Walk, eyeing up the woman!!!!!

Last edited by Atarah; 21-12-2009 at 11:13.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 11:15   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

We used to call this "The Accy Walk" - a fab excuse to walk round the dancers, eyeing up the talent. Tee hee. Arrgh, all us lasses would be dancing around our bags, then we too would do "the walk"! Hey, it wasnt just the guys who did the Accy Walk, eyeing up the woman!!!!!

LOL Atarah, but if you were clever you walked in a clockwise direction ... good excuse for bumping into the talent.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:18   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
LOL Atarah, but if you were clever you walked in a clockwise direction ... good excuse for bumping into the talent.
I've always said that women are far worse than fellas

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..