Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2014, 09:48   #1

Coppice gates cordoned off

Does anyone know what's been happening at the coppice? The gates are sealed off with police tape.
Jb x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2014, 09:53   #2
God Member

Re: Coppice gates cordoned off

Police called to reports of sexual assault at popular town park - Accrington Observer
Old 16-12-2014, 14:52   #3

It wasn't me!
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 15:08   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
It wasn't me!
Is that supposed to be funny?
kestrelx likes this.
Old 16-12-2014, 16:40   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It was meant in a light-hearted way, Neil. Nothing to do with the gravity of the occurrence.
Eric and Barrie Yates like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 17:27   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It was meant in a light-hearted way, Neil. Nothing to do with the gravity of the occurrence.
I never found it amusing either. A teenage girl was sexually assaulted. Nothing light-hearted about it. But hey that's just me
Sara, nicola68 and maxthecollie like this.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:43   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No doubt, "yes" ... Maybe some find it insensitive, like that N(eed) A(nother) S(even) A(stronauts) one ... but one shouldn't assume that because someone seems to make light of a serious event he is making light of violence against women. To infer that is a form of pc-ism. Just put it down to "Yorkshire humor." ... and let's get on with our lives in this screwed-up world.

As an afterthought; here's one from '67: "Hey; they found Donald Campbell. He came out of a tap in Manchester."
cashman and MargaretR like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:07   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I'm sure the girl and her parents will be much happier knowing that.
I can only assume he has never experienced the effect of such an incident on a girl of any age. Maybe you haven't either defending his insensitive comment.
Old 17-12-2014, 15:38   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No doubt, "yes" ... Maybe some find it insensitive, like that N(eed) A(nother) S(even) A(stronauts) one ... but one shouldn't assume that because someone seems to make light of a serious event he is making light of violence against women. To infer that is a form of pc-ism. Just put it down to "Yorkshire humor." ... and let's get on with our lives in this screwed-up world.

As an afterthought; here's one from '67: "Hey; they found Donald Campbell. He came out of a tap in Manchester."
The examples you give are original and witty Eric, irreverent and black humour too, I am struggling to see any of that in Jim's post?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 17:05   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The examples you give are original and witty Eric, irreverent and black humour too, I am struggling to see any of that in Jim's post?
Maybe ... but Neil's question was, "Is that supposed to be funny?" I believe humor was intended ... but the "Intentional Fallacy" kicks in. Jim "intended" humor, and failed ... well, in my opinion anyway. Just because he failed to mouth the appropriate platitudes of shock and outrage doesn't mean that he believes sexual assault is "funny".

Come to think of it, violence against women is endemic in all societies ... yes, even in our enlightened ones. In some cultures, those where women are not considered "human", let alone "equal", women face FGM, forced marriage, and not being allowed to drive. Here in the Great White North, aboriginal women are sexually abused and murdered, just because they are merely "squaws". Women are "imported" and forced into the sex trade. In the U. S. of Eh., prominent members of the Tea Party believe that a woman impregnated during a rape should be forced to carry the fetus to term. ... I suppose I could go on for much longer, but I hope I have made a point.

Rather than wringing our hands, and mouthing appropriate outrage and other synonyms of that word, maybe we should actually be doing something to address a problem that stubbornly refuses to go away, even in our enlightened times.

By the by, I remember another one from '67: "Campbell's have come out with a new soup. The call it Cream of Coniston." Now, that one I don't find all that funny ... just me I guess.
steve2qec likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 17:36   #11
Senior Member+

Jim isn't an everyday accywebber so to come on and make a random comment in such a thread... nah.
Old 17-12-2014, 20:51   #12
Senior Member+

For the record,I can see Jims comment as a 'form of humour'.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 17-12-2014 at 20:54.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 22:34   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
why does that not surprise me
Old 17-12-2014, 23:22   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
What's funny about somebody denying they have taped off access through the Coppice gates?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 00:08   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
why does that not surprise me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
What's funny about somebody denying they have taped off access through the Coppice gates?
The idea of censoring someone's humour, even on subjects (like this) which may well make folk uncomfortable is not the answer (imo).
Freedom of expression is a part of who we are.Jim's comment (assuming he meant he didn't commit the assault ) may of been a little distasteful.
Folk with that sort of (dark) humour should be allowed to express it just like those who find it unpleasant should be allowed to say how they feel about it.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..