Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44   #16
Full Member+

Re: Corned Beef Hash

I always chop potatoes and onion and a large carrot and boil them in a pan with a couple of bay leaves. Then when they cooked put cubed corn beef from a large tin and cook a little longer. I like a couple of teaspoons of Bisto powder to help thicken it slightly. Sometimes I add a suet crust and cover with a lid. My Granny called that 'pan pie'. All that is needed then is some beetroot to accompany it. Delicious !!
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2013, 11:38   #17
Senior Member+

So what happens with water from the potatoes ? Do you pour it down the drain?
I'm looking to make it like a pie kind of mix which is exactly what Margaret's will probably look like. Margret if not gravy granuals , then beef stock? And how much?

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02   #18

Mind you, if ya have Garlic in yer Hash, it will keep the vampires away whilst yer on yer way to the pub!
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17   #19
Beacon of light

I don't put a stock cube in...but if you must then use one of the good ones(not OXO - yes it is a good cube for a meat pie or a hot drink, but tater hash shouldn't have brown juice) use a Knorr stockpot and cook the potatoes and onion in it.......it is up to you how much of the cooking liquor you leave in the mix...but it shouldn't be too 'soupy'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, No No Jay...this the way you do it.
one large potato for each person you are serving....cubed.
1 large or two medium sized onions finely chopped.
Place these ingredients into a large pan of slightly salted water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes begin to 'fall' slightly(this means that they look a bit frayed around the edges)........drain a little of the water off the potatoes.......then chuck into the mix 4oz(or 100grms) of corned beef for each person being served...give it a good stir untill all the corned beef is mixed with the spuds and onions........you could eat it at this point, but I would strongly suggest that you add about a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and leave to cook for a further five or ten minutes.......taste, and add any seasoning to personal taste.

If you want to turn this into spud pie.....put it into an ovenproof dish and put a shortcrust pasty lid on it(bought pastry is Ok for this - but I like to make my own) Bake on gas mark 7 for 25 minutes or untill the pastry is golden brown.
Serve with mushy peas, pickled beetroot or red cabbage.

That's how I do it, and I have never had anyone complain...or for that matter leave a scorrick.
Yummmmmm! Reminds me of my Mum's Meat & Potatoe Pie.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:24   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No, No No Jay...this the way you do it.
one large potato for each person you are serving....cubed.
1 large or two medium sized onions finely chopped.
Place these ingredients into a large pan of slightly salted water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes begin to 'fall' slightly(this means that they look a bit frayed around the edges)........drain a little of the water off the potatoes.......then chuck into the mix 4oz(or 100grms) of corned beef for each person being served...give it a good stir untill all the corned beef is mixed with the spuds and onions........you could eat it at this point, but I would strongly suggest that you add about a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and leave to cook for a further five or ten minutes.......taste, and add any seasoning to personal taste.

If you want to turn this into spud pie.....put it into an ovenproof dish and put a shortcrust pasty lid on it(bought pastry is Ok for this - but I like to make my own) Bake on gas mark 7 for 25 minutes or untill the pastry is golden brown.
Serve with mushy peas, pickled beetroot or red cabbage.

That's how I do it, and I have never had anyone complain...or for that matter leave a scorrick.
Neither have I Margaret, I've even been known to warm it up three days on the trot
Old 08-10-2013, 17:25   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Margaret! how could you slam Garlic
Garlic its like living next door to a ****
Old 08-10-2013, 18:48   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Neither have I Margaret, I've even been known to warm it up three days on the trot
And when you do that each plateful is better than the last......it is always better for 'standing'...shame that in our house, it doesn't get the chance.
Old 08-10-2013, 19:51   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
And when you do that each plateful is better than the last......it is always better for 'standing'...shame that in our house, it doesn't get the chance.
How true that is, Just had some 3 day old Lamb Stew fer Tea n Loverly.
Old 09-10-2013, 17:34   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ah in my house there's only me and anybody trying to get my hash is liable to get their fingers chopped off
Old 10-10-2013, 03:23   #26
Full Member+

I am with you Margaret no garlic in the corn beef hash

Last edited by US Angel; 10-10-2013 at 03:24. Reason: :
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Corned beef hash is n old northern dish simple as, So NO garlic.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17   #28
Beacon of light

I am just in the process of using up the bum end of a joint of beef that we had for Sunday tea......it was put into a casserole with carrots red onions and chopped portobello mushrooms for Tuesday nights tea(served with steamed cauliflower, carrots and green beans) there was a dish of the casserole left...mainly lots of thick gravy with a few lumps of meat in it.....today I have chopped two carrots, two spuds a leek..these have been quickly fried and then sotened with some stock(home made)...the remains ot eh casserole have been tossed into the mis along with a cup of frozen peas and a handful of broad beans.
This will make a filling lunch for Ma, Nicola and me...and there is not a scrap of the beef joint left.

OK...tater hash it ain't but it is good, nourishing, tasty grub at not much cost.
Turtle likes this.
Old 10-10-2013, 17:37   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Corned beef hash is n old northern dish simple as, So NO garlic.
If I'd have mentioned garlic in Hash the old fella would have done his nut
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34   #30
Junior Member+

If you are going to put a crust on has to be suet pastry
essexshar is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..