Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 20:31   #1

Council services - good service?

Public Services are always an easy target for criticism however I would welcome feedback on any positive experiences from members were they have received good service and from which department within local govt either Hyndburn BC or Lancs CC.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2007, 21:17   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Council services - good service?

may i ask why? folk that ask for only 1 response always make me suspicious.
Old 01-09-2007, 21:19   #3

I recently worked for hyndburn borough council. I was only there temporary but i can tell you that its not as easy as what everyone thinks. I was part of the recycling team, everyday we started at 7.30am, you never knew what job you were going to get put on, whilst i was working there i did everything from litter picking to trade waste to collecting unwanted fridges and waste that had been tipped illegally. It was a very demanding job with very few people giving any respect to you, but i must say some of the service we provided was really good, one lady in baxenden phoned in to have a fridge collected she was told on the phone it would be collected in between 2-3 weeks, but she was pleasantly suprised when we showed up to take it the same day. Sorry if this post is a little long but i just thought id let people know how difficult a job some people at the council have.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 21:22   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

speedy mate i think people know most of the "workers" work hard n are ok, its the descision- makers that worry folk.
Old 01-09-2007, 21:38   #5

It was prompted because I was listening to a radio phone in about public services and the responses were often negative and it's sometimes the easy option to blame the Government or the Council. I work in the public sector and like in any workplace there are a whole range of employees some offering really exceptional service and others whose performance is questionable. I don't have a problem if members want to identify were they don't feel they get good service but alot of the threads on the site tend to already focus on poor experiences rather than positive ones and I was hoping for members to redress the balance
Old 01-09-2007, 21:48   #6
God Member

I haven't had many dealings but, like the lady that Speedy referred to, I have found their collection service to be very good. I have used it on 4 occasions and been told the goods would be moved within 2 weeks. I have never waited that long though. They've always collected within 3 or 4 days.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 21:57   #7

Yeah the people who make the lowest wage and have the hardest jobs are the ones working the hardest. There are people working for the council and their job is basically to drive round in a car and look for areas that look untidy and send someone to clean it (easy job and they get paid twice as much as what the REAL workers do).
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 22:05   #8
Give, give, give member

I don't really have a lot of contact with our council, however on the few occasions when I have, this is my experience.

Council Tax. When I've needed to telephone, 50% of those times I've been told to call back as 'the computers are down'. The people in the actual office, front of house, have been professional, friendly, and on one occasion extremely kind and filled in some forms, something I can no longer do.

Recycling. Telephoned relevant number when I first bought my house and requested sacks and boxes. Telephoned again six months later telling them they hadn't arrived. Sixteen months after first calling, received recycling sacks/boxes.

Road sweeper who I see weekly in Oswaldtwistle, first rate.

Staff in Tourist Information office in the Town Hall, very friendly and helpful.

Arts in the borough, abysmal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 22:15   #9

Lily

when you say you haen't used many of the services I wasn't just thinking about the services that you request but services that operate every day ie playing fields, social services, schools, street lighting, refuse collection, collection of council tax etc
Old 01-09-2007, 22:18   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Lily

when you say you haen't used many of the services I wasn't just thinking about the services that you request but services that operate every day ie playing fields, social services, schools, street lighting, refuse collection, collection of council tax etc
A very wide question then . I can't say I've got a particular problem where I live with any of the things you've mentioned. Quite a happy bunny, thanks.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 22:21   #11

glad to hear that
Old 01-09-2007, 22:29   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Yeah the people who make the lowest wage and have the hardest jobs are the ones working the hardest. There are people working for the council and their job is basically to drive round in a car and look for areas that look untidy and send someone to clean it (easy job and they get paid twice as much as what the REAL workers do).
My daughter was putting some stuff out(think it was a suite) and was told by two people in a car that she could be done for fly tipping, she had requested collection but they didn't know that and who in their right mind would fly tip outside their own back gate? Anyway these two people then dropped a pile of leaflets on the back alley, seems they thought they were above getting prosecuted because they were working for the council!!
Old 01-09-2007, 22:46   #13

when we moved house I requested a collection but was informed that the collection was limited to a maximum of 6 namec items and would be collected within the next 2 -3 weeks which I thought was a long time. I was reluctant to leave my back gate unlocked for that period of time and also informed them on the previous occaision they had collected items that had managed to break the hinges on the backgate however i would neatly store the items in the recess of the back street to which I was informed I could be prosecuted!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 23:35   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

agree hedman about leaving the back gate 2/3 weeks is ridiculous, have used the service myself, and asked if we could be phoned the day they are collecting the items, and was told sorry cannot be done. must be too difficult a task i think. for the service i can say the collection was in less than 1 week, wonder how you would stand though,if you were unfortunate enough to be burgaled n told yer insurance my back gate was unlocked??
Old 02-09-2007, 15:37   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Arts in the borough, abysmal.
I couldn't agree more.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..