Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2007, 08:22   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: council tax bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
They didn't come to empty the bins 3x as ofeten and I'm sorry Neil but emptying a half full or full bin takes the same time/effort.
More people, more rubbish. It is not just the empting cost, its the cost of disposal as well.

Quote:
In honesty, we probably need as usual some form of compromise system. A basic 'charge per person' to cover stuff that you would be individually responsible for and a charge per property to cover ammenities provided to that property.
That does sound like a more fair and sensible idea.

Quote:
In that way people with multiple household pay for all their properties and have a charge agaisnt what the themselves utilise.
It was the houses with many adults that were hit most and complained the most. Shared housing for students etc was a way of cheating the rates system IMHO.
Old 13-03-2007, 11:46   #17
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I would much rather that every individual paid for what they use and think that it is a much fairer system. We contribute through tax and NI to cover most national services and fair enough, we may all need to use them someday but the system that we have is unfair.

As an example, my contributions will help to fund education for children, fair enough but......many of us don't or can't have children but still continue to fund other people's children. However, when I did a degree, I had to pay for it myself as well as paying through my contributions for other people's children to be educated... Do you see what I'm getting at?

They have a system in New Zealand whereby you pay for what you use. For example, many areas over there have councils which sell official bin bags in the supermarkets. These bin bags are more expensive than your normal bag but it covers the cost of removal of the rubbish. Therefore, the more bags you fill with rubbish, the more expensive it becomes for you, so you pay for what you use. Sounds much fairer to me and seems to be catching on in more areas over there now.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 12:03   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
since when has fairness ever entered any government's head

as long as they get their overinflated salaries they continue to believe that we can all afford everything they can

so what appears to them to be a small amount to pay for the service that we don't get to you and me means an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances thus causing interest rates to rise due to increased spending thus in turn leading to an ever increasing overdraft constant loans and expanding credit card balances

hmmm i see a pattern emerging here
Sounds about right to me.
Old 14-03-2007, 09:35   #19

My council tax bill turned up on Monday. Obviously I'd rather not be having to pay it, but to be fair the cost per month wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Always plenty of things in life we don't like, we just have get on with it!
Old 14-03-2007, 19:07   #20
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i would say £100+ would be alot better in my pocket than the councils, they dont do half the jobs that need doing, why should we pay for it?!!
years ago when i was younger and before poll tax, there was no such thing as having to pay it and they managed, so why now?, they just a bunch of over paid ****
Old 14-03-2007, 19:54   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
years ago when i was younger and before poll tax, there was no such thing as having to pay it and they managed, so why now?
I thought you paid rates before the poll tax. Did that not go to the Council?
Old 15-03-2007, 10:42   #22
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

dont know, but it wasnt as bad a council tax!!
the cost is just bloody ridiculous!
thatcher started all this with the poll tax!
Old 18-03-2007, 13:15   #23
God Member

Got mine yesterday, gone up £49.70 from last year, I was expecting it to be more than that

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:26   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Bring back the Poll Tax.
What could be fairer than everybody paying the same?
Why should someone in a small house pay less than someone in a big house? They create the same amount of rubbish each, have roads and lights outside. Both can use public services like the library. Both are protected (allegedly) by the Police. Both get the same cover from Fire Service, NHS etc etc etc.
Got to admit Neil in theory that sounds good.Every working person in a household paying the same.Thats basically what the poll tax thing was.But I think the initial amount for each person to pay was to high in the 80's.
Old 18-03-2007, 13:30   #25
God Member

Trouble is they would work it out on the takings they are getting now, if Joe Bloggs pays £5000 for his castle and I pay £1000 their getting £6000, even it out and we'll pay £3000 each, Mr rich guy will be happy but I certainly won't be

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:38   #26
Senior Member+

No the way I meant it KSH was say £500 per person.If a couple live in a house with 2 kids thats £1000.If 4 adults live in a house thats £2000 etc etc.
Old 19-03-2007, 14:27   #27
Resident Waffler

The Council Tax bill arrived this morning and I think I've accidentally shredded it!

Fortunately we pay by Direct Debit!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 14:40   #28
God Member

got mine on Sat as well. Ouch!

I'm just glad we haven't been rebanded yet. (I wonder if I can pay 10 years in advance at a price fixed now )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 14:47   #29
God Member

Ours has just arrived complete rip off, weren't keen on poll tax either, think the old rates were more realistic, certainly dont get value for money now.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 16:47   #30
white rabbits

mine came this morning

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..