Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 13:50   #1
I am Band

Question DAB Radio.

Does anyone on Accyweb own a Digital Audio Broadcast radio.

I am looking to buy a DAB radio, and would like peoples opinions of them before splashing the cash. I listen to 6Music on the BBC website when I am on my laptop and also 5Live Sports Extra occaisionally. I want to listen to a choice of radio stations without listening to the cooling fans on the computer.

I have heard that the sound quality is not as good as Fm transmission, so I don't know how it would sound listening via a pair of headphones.

Having done a search to acertain which radio stations we are able to receive in the Accrington area, it seems there are more stations to listen via to DAB, that suffer from poor reception on the Fm and Am wavebands.

Can anyone help me with advice, or voice their experiences.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2004, 15:47   #2
God Member

Re: DAB Radio.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it beats FM hands down, going back to FM could be likened to going back to dial-up after using broadband for a while. I was so impressed with mine I bought a second (cheaper) one to take to work. They have them in Comet at Whitebirk where you can have a play and listen to them. If you go on the BBC website there's a facility to enter your postcode which gives you an idea of which channels can be received at your location.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 16:27   #3

Also how much do they cost???
Old 04-12-2004, 17:20   #4
God Member

You can buy a cheap one for approx £40. Sky's the limit after that.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 17:27   #5
God Member

Technically it is no where near the quality of FM broadcast. Plus they are squeezing even more stations into the same bandwidth so it is only going to get worse as they increase the compression on the audio stream . For general listening it will be fine. If you are an audiophile you will hate it.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 21:37   #6
Senior Member+

Is there no way of increasing the bandwidth then? I am not particularly knowledgable about the technical side of things, so forgive me if this seems like a stupid question!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 14:46   #7
I am Banned

we were gonna get one but dont think there avaliable in barnoldswick unless anybody knows different?
accystankev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 22:48   #8

so what does everyone think are they worth getting or sticking to the FM
Old 07-12-2004, 07:37   #9
God Member

Depends what you want. There is a lot of stations on DAB that are not available on FM. For the car or just listening whilst in the kitchen/doing something else or you have a specific station that is DAB only then yes I would say they are worth it. If you want to sit and listen to music as a hobby then no.

It sort of equates to the same situation with stored music. We spent years with vinyl then CD came along and we were all told how much better it was. In the whole it is however a top vinyl system will easily blow away a cheap CD system. Then the world went MP3 mad. Sound quality of the vast majority of MP3s is far poorer than CD but because we can now have music collections a size that would be unheard of 10 years ago we put up with it.

At the end of the day you pays your money........
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15   #10
Senior Member+

Or you download it...
Old 07-12-2004, 11:36   #11
God Member

I wasn't referring to the MP3s )
Old 07-12-2004, 12:24   #12
Senior Member+

I agree entwisi... I remember when cd's first came out and compared to vinyl on a linn record deck there was no contest..... And I have yet to be conviced that any cd system can top the best in vinyl....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49   #13
God Member

A good CD player within a good setup( read same sort of cost that you would consider spending on a Linn with decent cartridge/arm/amp/etc) will give it a very close run. Personally I prefer the CD setup as you don't need to be buying first pressings etc. In a blind test I think you would tend to prefer the CD although there is the 'gut feeling' that using vinyl gives. However we are talking silly amounts of money and at that level the human ear is probably the weakest link in the chain. I used to sell quality kit and it really is a case of listening and deciding if you can hear a difference and if that difference is worth the cost to upgrade. As with most things as you move up the chain it is an ever decreasing return for your investment.

PS If you are interested I have a set of Quad Electrostatics for sale
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I agree entwisi... I remember when cd's first came out and compared to vinyl on a linn record deck there was no contest..... And I have yet to be conviced that any cd system can top the best in vinyl....
That may well be the case Simon, but you can't beat CD or MP3 for versatility. How many people do you know with a record deck in the car?

There is also the problem of buying new stereo systems with a record deck. For myself I will always have a turntable as I have some 300 albums, singles, etc that are just not available to either buy or download (legally or otherwise).

Besides, its nice to sit by the record player sometimes and play a few.

But if you want convenience, it has to be a CD. MP3 is fast catching up, and will be the ultimate in these terms, but not just yet.
Old 07-12-2004, 13:22   #15
Senior Member+

Entwisi the problem is once you have heard a REALLY nice full and rich sound, You compare everything else to it And I probably am using slightly rose coloured glasses through my memory I remember changing from cassette to cd in my car, I had a fully active system in my car seven pheonix amps alpine controls and head unit, Just under 1000 watts rms. And there was more feeling and emotion from a metal tape recorded from vinyl than a CD, but cd was easier cheaper.

I want to hear what the mike hears in the studio when I am listening to music, Fussy ****** I hear you say.. can't help it

But I have just a little denon setup with celestion speakers and NO record deck at home, Neighbours limit me

So yes I have been dragged along with "advancements" but am not sure they are "better" Easier for sure..

Vorlon........ My record deck in my car was a cassette deck with a good tape recorded from a good vinyl system.. But yes am on CD's because of cost, ease etc (but not ultimate sound for me)..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..