Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 17:37   #1

Dehumidifier parts??????

Hi all,
Right we have been given a dehumidifier but it doesnt work!
After careful inspection by my husbands brother found that the fan will not run but all other parts works.
He found that the main board had some melted chips/relays.

The dehumidifier is made by Challenge and was originally bought from Argos.
Serial number... 0500 311
Appliance number415/9029

Right so we have searched the web to try and find this part but havnt been successful upto now (we have tried CPC and Maplin and they said NO ) , so im asking if there is anyone out there who knows where to get these parts.
The part number is.... 833H-1c-c24v-DC c0446
I have added some pics of the actual chip(not a good pic sorry) and the closest one to it we could find.

Any info would be greatly appreciated
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2009, 17:49   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Dehumidifier parts??????

can you post what all the writing on the relay is please? It looks like a standard 24V dc relay. How many pins are on the bottom. I would guess at 4 or 5. You naff picture looks like there are 2 of them mounted next to each other, is that correct.

What is melted, the relay? Are there any copper track burnt off on the bottom of the circuit board. You might find the fan is faulty and caused the damage on the circuit board.

On the new relay picture there is a contact drawing, second line from the bottom after the VAC. Does the old one have the same drawing on it? Do the position of the pins on both old and new relay match?
Old 03-12-2009, 17:50   #3
God Member

I would try the shop at the bottom of Oak Street (where the job centre is), he sells all sorts of parts maybe he could order it for you.
Old 03-12-2009, 18:23   #4

I think the main issue is that the dehumidifier has been running constantly on HIGH for all of it's life, and never been physically turned down
The part is best described on the board and wiring diagram as a speed / temperature controller.
There is mild signs of overheating on the underside of the board, but a physical hole in the side of one of the relays that the fan runs through.
The fan itself has not been tested but still has a reading on a circuit tester.
The Fridge unit still runs, which leads me to believe everything should be ok.
There is a fuse on the board that has not blown, which suggests to me that if the motor has shorted out, then because the motor runs on 240v I would hope that the fuse would have also?
I am not a tech, nor am I qualified, but if I get sommat given, I would like to get it workin to dry my blooming bathroom out.
During the winter there is more water inside than out.
Many thanks, and any suggestions are appreciated
"Er Usband"
Old 03-12-2009, 18:44   #5
God Member

You can reduce the condensation/mould problem by painting the walls and ceiling with a paint additive-
Thermilate.
Thermilate Insulating Paint Additive
The contact between the warm air and the cold wall is dramatically reduced once Thermilate Additive is applied. Therefore the production of water droplets and condensation is dramatically reduced if not totally eliminated.
The room air moisture condenses on a cold surface.
With this paint additive there is a barrier between the air in the room and the cold in the brickwork.
It will reduce condensation.

I have used it on all exterior walls and ceilings.
The walk in cupboard in my kitchen is used to hang dry my laundry. Coated on all sides with this additive, and no ventilation other than the door ajar - no mould.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:04   #6

Hi Margaret,
We could paint the ceiling with it but unfortunatly the bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling and this is where almost all the water collects!
Old 03-12-2009, 20:55   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You can reduce the condensation/mould problem by painting the walls and ceiling with a paint additive-
Thermilate.
Thermilate Insulating Paint Additive
The contact between the warm air and the cold wall is dramatically reduced once Thermilate Additive is applied. Therefore the production of water droplets and condensation is dramatically reduced if not totally eliminated.
The room air moisture condenses on a cold surface.
With this paint additive there is a barrier between the air in the room and the cold in the brickwork.
It will reduce condensation.

I have used it on all exterior walls and ceilings.
The walk in cupboard in my kitchen is used to hang dry my laundry. Coated on all sides with this additive, and no ventilation other than the door ajar - no mould.

Is this additive expensive? I have a serious problem upstairs with what i have been told is condensation and this might help
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 22:18   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Is this additive expensive? I have a serious problem upstairs with what i have been told is condensation and this might help
Paints Direct : Insulating Paint Additive 3 for 2 [ipa3for2] - £39.90
To do all the upstairs of a house you will need 3 packs at least.
I bought on line direct from Thermalite - explore this link page to order

Old 04-12-2009, 05:08   #9
Resting in Peace

Thermalite is also used in explosives mainly for fuses
so is it a good idea to paint your house in it ??
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You only answered some of my questions

Quote:
can you post what all the writing on the relay is please? It looks like a standard 24V dc relay. How many pins are on the bottom. I would guess at 4 or 5. Your naff picture looks like there are 2 of them mounted next to each other, is that correct.

Quote:
On the new relay picture there is a contact drawing, second line from the bottom after the VAC. Does the old one have the same drawing on it? Do the position of the pins on both old and new relay match?
Personally I would have tested the fan itself still works as there is little point changing the relay if the fan is faulty.

Also if whoever is looking at this unit is competent to repair it safely they would know what a simple relay is and if the new one will be suitable.

Last edited by Neil; 04-12-2009 at 07:38.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thermalite is also used in explosives mainly for fuses
so is it a good idea to paint your house in it ??
My mispelling misleads Thermilate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..