Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: would you allow you loss of civil liberties to crush crime
yes 6 60.00%
no 2 20.00%
unsure 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55   #31
Resting in peace

Re: did orwell have a point ?

I do not think we have any choice in the matter, what the 'powers' that be want us they usually get. I have not read any of Orwells works in any depth, but I have allways admired forward thinkers of like him and H G wells, Where did they get the inspiration to write these book's?. Most of what has come to pass.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38   #32
Senior Member+

i believe we would sit back and accept
anything and everything that any ministerial government
assured us was for our benefit
like lambs to the slaughter

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:09   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i believe we would sit back and accept
anything and everything that any ministerial government
assured us was for our benefit
like lambs to the slaughter
agree many would,cashy accepts buggar all he dont agree with though.
Old 08-08-2007, 13:37   #34
Senior Member+

i agree that anything the government wanted to do we would just allow them to steamroller over us, but my original point i was trying to get accross, was would we happily trade some of our "freedoms" for the irradication of crime, or is the price of that same freedom the crime rate that we have to endure today? and if so is it worth it?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:42   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would trade some freedoms, AFTER they reviewed the sentencing and made it more to fit the crime,cos until that is done its pointless loosing any more of our freedoms.
Old 08-08-2007, 13:50   #36
Senior Member+

there aint going to be any trading
when the ministry decides
we will go along
dont make any difference if we are happy about
it or not

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 21:27   #37
God Member

Give up freedoms for the promise of a crime free state ... I don't think so. Give up something millions have died for for a piece of Pie in the Sky ... or to put it another way: selling your birthright for a mess of pottage. I think that your American cousins are way ahead of you guys on this one. Many Americans, particularly the ones in power, would like to see the end of the ACLU, but they are a great conscience. Sure people could argue that safeguards will be in place, but who guards the guardians?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 22:44   #38
Senior Member+

evryone has made valid points, but what i am saying is, IF crime WAS irradicated, would you see it as a fair swap, not the whole "they only do it it for ulteria motives" thing
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52   #39
Yank in King Art's Court!

First, no matter what you do, crime will never be erradicated. There will always be evil folks who perpetrate their ways.

Second, my dear Eric, if you love the ACLU so much, please take them off our hands. The US would be a MUCH better nation without the left-leaning liberal crap they attempt to constantly force feed down our thoats. Our founding Fathers wouldn't have put up with an inkling of the way they misread and misrepresent our Constitution. What a huge bunch of disgusting maggots! (oh . . . to quantify . . . IMHO)

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21   #40
God Member

Eventually there will be a form of living akin to Mega City 1 in the 2000 AD comic with Judge Dredd style police dispencing instant justice. Then there will be complaints galore but as we seem to be weak kneed when it comes to crime this is a possibility for the future.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 00:47   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
First, no matter what you do, crime will never be erradicated. There will always be evil folks who perpetrate their ways.

Second, my dear Eric, if you love the ACLU so much, please take them off our hands. The US would be a MUCH better nation without the left-leaning liberal crap they attempt to constantly force feed down our thoats. Our founding Fathers wouldn't have put up with an inkling of the way they misread and misrepresent our Constitution. What a huge bunch of disgusting maggots! (oh . . . to quantify . . . IMHO)

Brian
I don't love them, nor agree with all they do, but I do think that some such group is necessary. As your Supreme Court shows, and the cases brought before it, there are different ways of reading the constitution. In the decision it brought down on the abortion issue (Roe vs Wade???) their interpretation of the 14th and the 9th ammendments would not be accepted by even a mild right to lifer. And I do remember that some southerners who killed blacks and were acquitted by all white juries, were later tried, not for murder, but for violating the civil rights or their victims. And I do hope that you are not suggesting that your reading of the constitution is right, and that the reading of a group whom you do not support is wrong. I think that I mentioned somewhere else that right wing Americans, some of them anyway, would be prepared to toss out the first ammendment in order to prevent people from burning the flag!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..