Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: would you allow you loss of civil liberties to crush crime
yes 6 60.00%
no 2 20.00%
unsure 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 21:33   #1
Senior Member+

did orwell have a point ?

because of the posts in another thread, it got me thinking, at what price would we surrender our liberty?
to elaborate a little further, if a government said they were about to introduce measures that would irradicate most crime but with a considerable loss of civil liberty, would you accept it ?

i am not talking about the issue that we have at the moment with id cards, but things that reach much further,ie tracking devices on everyone, cameras in your own home, abolition of cash, real extreme stuff, but a gaurantee that most "serious crime" would be gone from our lives
what would you do
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2007, 21:39   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: did orwell have a point ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
because of the posts in another thread, it got me thinking, at what price would we surrender our liberty?
to elaborate a little further, if a government said they were about to introduce measures that would irradicate most crime but with a considerable loss of civil liberty, would you accept it ?

i am not talking about the issue that we have at the moment with id cards, but things that reach much further,ie tracking devices on everyone, cameras in your own home, abolition of cash, real extreme stuff, but a gaurantee that most "serious crime" would be gone from our lives
what would you do
Orwell had a lot of points he spent most of the thirties trying to live and explain to his own social class the problems of the so called 'working class'. the points he was trying to make, no doubt are the reason why he ended up dying from T.B. instead of living to a 'grand old age' like most of the middle class.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:41   #3
Senior Member+

the title of the thread wasnt really what i was trying to discuss, it was more of a teaser question regarding 1984 and the manipulation of the masses
Old 07-08-2007, 21:47   #4

Quote:
the title of the thread wasnt really what i was trying to discuss, it was more of a teaser question regarding 1984 and the manipulation of the masses
Then start your threads as you mean to go on, with a correct title! banker
Old 07-08-2007, 21:51   #5
Senior Member+

so sorry that i credited the users of this forum with the abillity to read posts, rather than see a title and post just for the sake of posting!!!!!!

as far the insulting someone straight off may i suggest beta blockers, i have heard they work wonders for jumped up half wits as yourself
Old 07-08-2007, 21:55   #6

Quote:
so sorry that i credited the users of this forum with the abillity to read posts, rather than see a title and post just for the sake of posting!!!!!!

as far the insulting someone straight off may i suggest beta blockers, i have heard they work wonders for jumped up half wits as yourself
Oh for goodness sake you admitted you titled it wrong now your blaming me for your own mistakes, please attempt a reasonable thread before you get upset with others!
Old 07-08-2007, 22:04   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh for goodness sake you admitted you titled it wrong now your blaming me for your own mistakes, please attempt a reasonable thread before you get upset with others!
1) where did i admit i titled it wrong, i explained my use of the title, not an admission of using an incorrect one
2)upset with others?, i took exception to your use of the term banker, wich you obviously didnt intend as a referance to my profession, i presume it was more concerned with my pastimes?, i felt it uncalled for
3)i havent ever read any rules on this forum that state the title must describe exactly what you wish to discuss
4)thanks for totally hijacking the thread and turning it into an detracted arguement about the titles of threads
Old 07-08-2007, 22:26   #8

Quote:

what would you do
It depends on the amount of liberty you would lose. E.G. phone tapping, cctv, monitoring of web searches do not affect your lifestyle, and are currently used
A) As a deterrent
B) As a method to catch criminals,

We know these are used and in general do not affect liberty per se. However searching of blogs, diaries, thoughts, etc are out of order without just cause.

All laws impinge on liberty by their very nature, however what liberty is prohibited is up for question. The liberty to commit murder is obviously repugnant and therefore banned.
However the liberty to say what one thinks and believes is a freedom that should never be curtailed.

Therfore I cannot answer the poll.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:31   #9
Give, give, give member

I might be taken away at any minute if the Thought Police work out what I'm thinking right now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:35   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
However the liberty to say what one thinks and believes is a freedom that should never be curtailed.
to some degree we have lost that anyway have we not, in todays society we are not allowed to use sexist or racist language, in the days of politcal correctness, people with these views have lost the right to express them, i think we only have a liberty of freedom of speech if the majority agrees
on our opinions
Old 07-08-2007, 22:36   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I might be taken away at any minute if the Thought Police work out what I'm thinking right now.
the boys are on their way round lol
Old 07-08-2007, 22:40   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i,m unsure, many have died for our liberty, erradicating crime is great in principle,but very unsure at what costi personally think as a starting point DNA samples at birth would go a fair way towards solving crimes n that i would go for.
Old 07-08-2007, 22:44   #13
Give, give, give member

In reality you've got to create a balance between respecting civil liberties, and the need for secure law and order.

I've no problem with the amount of CCTV we currently have, or the much anticipated i-d cards, if they ever materialise.

I'm always amazed when there's talk of Big Brother. If we were all to have our every move monitored, and phone calls recorded etc, who on earth is going to listen and watch it all, and who will be watching and listening to them?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:45   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i,m unsure, many have died for our liberty, erradicating crime is great in principle,but very unsure at what costi personally think as a starting point DNA samples at birth would go a fair way towards solving crimes n that i would go for.
hitler/ reborn
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:47   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwendosser View Post
hitler/ reborn
sod off ya ugly git he was me uncle.pmsl

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..