Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2009, 13:43   #1
Caz
God Member

Diesel spillage

Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to remove diesel from tarmac.
Ta

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2009, 13:44   #2
God Member

Re: Diesel spillage

sand? isnt that what the police use when that happens on motorways?
Old 17-05-2009, 13:46   #3
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Like Flashy says Sand,it is all fuel stations put on any spillage, then sweep it up after a few hours.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 13:46   #4
Caz
God Member

It's not a recent spillage Flashy, nowt much to soak up. Had a leak under the car, so now the tarmac is discolouring. Was wondering what's best thing to scrub it with.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-05-2009, 16:02   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have used hot water and strong mix of clothes detergent to clear up spilt oil. It works very well. The problem you have is that diesel makes tarmac soft, it almost eats it away.
Old 17-05-2009, 16:15   #6
Resting in Peace

Had to laugh Caz, on one forum they were suggesting Cola ... soak it in a rag first and lay on the patch ... one lady swore by it ! Never know, might work ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 18:03   #7
God Member

cat litter works well on oilo spills

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 18:09   #8
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Had to laugh Caz, on one forum they were suggesting Cola ... soak it in a rag first and lay on the patch ... one lady swore by it ! Never know, might work ..
I spotted that too Kate! Will go for the washing powder, hot water and a stiff brush..if the rain keeps away long enough!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-05-2009, 18:23   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
I spotted that too Kate! Will go for the washing powder, hot water and a stiff brush..if the rain keeps away long enough!
Make sure is a biological powder ... contains enzymes which break down a stain. Grease is the hardest though unfortunately. Get scrubbing gal .. LOL.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:34   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Does biological power break down mineral oil and diesel though?
I am not sure but I know you will be making bubbles when you hose it down for ages afterwards
It works for me though. Other things like Gunk and Jizer you can use to clean off engine oil will melt your tarmac unless you rinse them away soonish. Diesel melts tarmac but petrol is not too bad. I think Petrol evaporates before it does much damage but diesel does not evaporate as for ages as it is more of an oil.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:43   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Does biological power break down mineral oil and diesel though?
I am not sure but I know you will be making bubbles when you hose it down for ages afterwards
It works for me though. Other things like Gunk and Jizer you can use to clean off engine oil will melt your tarmac unless you rinse them away soonish. Diesel melts tarmac but petrol is not too bad. I think Petrol evaporates before it does much damage but diesel does not evaporate as for ages as it is more of an oil.
Well, most launderers use other products for grease stains, so may not lift too well. Talking about textiles here though.

Tarmac is covered with a protective layer though, and if where I think she has spilled it, is fairly new, so the diesel may not have been able to get through the surface.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:56   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
sand? isnt that what the police use when that happens on motorways?
Sand is only used to stop others skidding on it, it still leaves a stain. Either washing soda or in the extreme Caustic soda, there are oter products like Stone cleaner.

Diesel will act as a solvent on tarmac, you might find tat if you used a power washer of a really stiff brush, you may end up with holes in it.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 19:03   #13
Caz
God Member

[QUOTE][and if where I think she has spilled it, is fairly new, so the diesel may not have been able to get through the surface./QUOTE]

Yes it is Katex, lol

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-05-2009, 20:52   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sand is only used to stop others skidding on it, it still leaves a stain. Either washing soda or in the extreme Caustic soda, there are oter products like Stone cleaner.
Most stone cleaners are acid, I don't think that would not clean tarmac

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..