Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2015, 16:29   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Do you wear one and if so why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jason, the best thing you could do is bow out of this thread as you still do not get it.

The men who fought in those conflicts you mention were not given a choice. They were conscripted men.

If you are unsure of the impiications of this, then I suggest you look it up and find out what happened to those men who did not present themselves to the appropriate service centre at the required time.

These men did NOT fight because war was honourable...but because their country was, and it required this of them.
They fought for the freedoms we have today......now, from what you have written it appears that you cannot see this.......and I fear that it doesn't matter how many times it is explained, or how it is explained, you will not get it.......that is really sad because if you don't get it how can we expect the youngsters growing up to respect the sacrifices made by young men for their freedom?
Sorry Margaret but I must point out that not all were conscripts, many were regulars who volunteered and since June 1960 (think that is the correct date), all who have been involved have been regular or reserve volunteer servicemen and women - no conscripts.
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2015, 17:24   #47
Senior Member+

Another thing I'd like to mention (before I bow from the thread ) is that It seems, increasingly, that there is a pressure on folk to wear a poppy especially if their in politics or on tv....can folk not respect all those poor souls who have fallen etc without wearing of a poppy?
In my eyes any sort of pressure that's put on folk surely takes away from the gesture and it becomes near on meaningless.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:31   #48
Junior Member+

I wear a poppy to respect our service men and women, my Grandad and father were servicemen. East Lancashire Regiment.
Jack1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 18:42   #49
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Sorry Margaret but I must point out that not all were conscripts, many were regulars who volunteered and since June 1960 (think that is the correct date), all who have been involved have been regular or reserve volunteer servicemen and women - no conscripts.
Barrie, thank you for your information.
I know that there has not been conscription since either the late fifties or early sixties(although I do remember some young men doing National Service).
The conscripted men were mainly in the first and second world wars.....though I know that Armistice day and the wearing of the poppy signifies respect for the fallen of all conflicts.
My father and my Uncle were both called up...though my uncle chose to stay in the services once the war was over...he was a Brylcreem Boy.

A lot of young men joined up before they were called up because they thought it was the right thing to do.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 18:47   #50
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Another thing I'd like to mention (before I bow from the thread ) is that It seems, increasingly, that there is a pressure on folk to wear a poppy especially if their in politics or on tv....can folk not respect all those poor souls who have fallen etc without wearing of a poppy?
In my eyes any sort of pressure that's put on folk surely takes away from the gesture and it becomes near on meaningless.
That is quite wrong. If people are not happy to wear a poppy(for whatever their reasons) then that should be their choice.

I would prefer folk wore their poppy because they want to demonstrate their respect...rather than because they think it is expected of them.
I do not think any less of someone who does not wear a poppy....if it means nothing to them then it is hypocritical to wear one......but then the media and politics is a hotbed of hypocrisy anyway, so nothing new there.
Old 13-11-2015, 22:54   #51

Quote:
I wonder how many of those who fought in WW1 & WW2 would do so if they knew that what they was fighting for wasn't freedom and helping to keep folk safe but for elite greed and power.
Do you really think that the people who went to war one hundred years ago were thinking about the business and political environment we find ourselves in today?

Interesting.

I always thought they were protecting their loved ones from the relentless march of a foreign power that was happening at that very time.

It seems to me that you're equally as guilty as our media and politicians of using the bravery and sacrifice of previous generations to try and manipulate people's emotions.

As far as I can tell (and I have no evidence to support this other than my own observations), people who give money to the Royal British Legion do so to provide support to surviving members of the armed forces, and support to the families of those that didn't return, and for no other reason.

If you think our time is blighted with "elite greed and power" - get off your arse and do something about it. It was not their intention at the time, but the by-product of their sacrifice was that you - yes you - have the freedom of choice to accept the "elite", do something about it, vote for it, sit at your laptop griping about it or simply ignore it and hope someone else makes it go away. Do not sully their memory by claiming that the politicians have let them down, because you put those politicians in power, not the people who died in the world wars.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 16:30   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Do you really think that the people who went to war one hundred years ago were thinking about the business and political environment we find ourselves in today?

Interesting.

I always thought they were protecting their loved ones from the relentless march of a foreign power that was happening at that very time.

It seems to me that you're equally as guilty as our media and politicians of using the bravery and sacrifice of previous generations to try and manipulate people's emotions.

As far as I can tell (and I have no evidence to support this other than my own observations), people who give money to the Royal British Legion do so to provide support to surviving members of the armed forces, and support to the families of those that didn't return, and for no other reason.

If you think our time is blighted with "elite greed and power" - get off your arse and do something about it. It was not their intention at the time, but the by-product of their sacrifice was that you - yes you - have the freedom of choice to accept the "elite", do something about it, vote for it, sit at your laptop griping about it or simply ignore it and hope someone else makes it go away. Do not sully their memory by claiming that the politicians have let them down, because you put those politicians in power, not the people who died in the world wars.
This deserves far more than just a like, glad that someone else thinks that the dipstick should stay in the sump.
cashman likes this.
Old 16-11-2015, 12:51   #53

I am not wearing one.

Not through disrespect etc but because I have not been approached by nor seen a poppy seller. I have stayed away from the news this past week (I didnt know about the Paris killings until last night) and did not know it was remembrance day until the accy cannon was sounded the 2nd time.

I'll gladly donate if I know that my donation actually does something for the cause.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:11   #54
Beacon of light

I have never ever been approached by a poppy seller.
Poppies have been on sale at various outlets.....Asda had members of the British Legion in their store on the run up to Armistice Day.
There were sellers in front of the town Hall, but they didn't approach people.
I always seek out the opportunity to donate to this appeal above others.....because the money goes to help ex servicemen, veterans of all conflicts.
To me, that is more important than Red Nose Day, children in Need and all the others put together.
Old 16-11-2015, 20:42   #55
Senior Member+

Old 16-11-2015, 21:29   #56
Beacon of light

Quote:
[url]
I thought you said you were bowing out of this thread.
Old 16-11-2015, 21:56   #57

An interesting speech in the video, but what has that to do with wearing a poppy to remember the fallen?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 22:01   #58
Senior Member+

ah the drivel continues.... Glad I have taken hiatus from reading this forum... now back to it!
Old 17-11-2015, 08:12   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
An interesting speech in the video, but what has that to do with wearing a poppy to remember the fallen?
Sod all,bless you for getting the thread back on track

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Old 17-11-2015, 10:43   #60
Beacon of light

so bowing out was not a serious intention then?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..