Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2012, 10:07   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Does anyone remember Snowy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I remember a lad called snowy ( due to his very light hair) quite a tall lad who used to hang around Accrington. I seem to remember he went to either Accy grammar or St. Christopher's. He would be in his earlier sixties now
That's the Snowy I remember, Susan, who I reckon is a different person to the one being discussed here. The Snowy we recall was/is a folk singer/guitarist. He comes up the Stanley sometimes and lives in Congleton these days.
Old 19-05-2012, 10:55   #17
I am Banned

nah,there only one snowy,dodgy raincoat,big alsation dog and wild hair,always hung round the market and talked to the kids,cant do that today can we,a local character,same as dancing billy,who used to stand outside the bee,s knee,s and the railway and would dance for the price of a bottle, ah happy days
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 11:27   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That's the Snowy I remember, Susan, who I reckon is a different person to the one being discussed here. The Snowy we recall was/is a folk singer/guitarist. He comes up the Stanley sometimes and lives in Congleton these days.
Yes I remember him too.
Old 19-05-2012, 12:42   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
nah,there only one snowy,dodgy raincoat,big alsation dog and wild hair,always hung round the market and talked to the kids,cant do that today can we,a local character,same as dancing billy,who used to stand outside the bee,s knee,s and the railway and would dance for the price of a bottle, ah happy days
That's the one, he must have been around 30 then in the mid 70's. He used to hang around with kids round Ardenhall and buy alcohol for them - he had dodgy motives!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 20:21   #20
Senior Member+

Is that why the council removed the swings from Arden Hall?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 06:31   #21
Senior Member+

hmmm can i use alcohol as an excuse for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Yes Restless, you already said
Old 21-05-2012, 20:16   #22

If its the same one he was always around ossy with the dog but he never did any harm to any one
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:51   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Is that why the council removed the swings from Arden Hall?
In those days we used to always hang round in Ardenhall and listen to the Sunday chart rundown on a transistor radio.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:06   #24

Ardenhall was my haunt around 59/61
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 21:25   #25

As a kid I used to play up Oak Hill Park a lot, someone would shout Snowy's coming & we'd all leg it, we were all frightened of him but we never did see him!
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 00:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
As a kid I used to play up Oak Hill Park a lot, someone would shout Snowy's coming & we'd all leg it, we were all frightened of him but we never did see him!
dont feel bad about it he was hard to spot especially in winter

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 18:27   #27
Senior Member+

I know who you lot mean, and yes, deffo still alive and kicking, saw him last Sat on Broadway in Acc. Used to hang around Oakhill Park too, same era as Wallop is referring to.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:33   #28

Snowy used to walk his dog through Rhyddings Park in the 70s. The dude with the felt tips was known as Captain Rainbow, I believe. I think he has epilepsy and remember his death being reported in the Observer in the 80s or early 90s.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 20:02   #29
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Back in early to mid 70's there was a bloke who's nick name was Snowy. Aged about 30ish and he had an alsation and he used to hang around with minors in the Ardenhall area and other areas - he also used to buy alcohol for us as a gang - anyone remember him? Got any details on him. Cheers
Snowy was a well-known genuine pedophile who hung out with kids on every estate he could get to. He used to come around to Milnshaw estate too. He's always had German Shepards.
Bagpuss likes this.
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 20:53   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
Snowy was a well-known genuine pedophile who hung out with kids on every estate he could get to. He used to come around to Milnshaw estate too. He's always had German Shepards.
Did he ever get convicted? I remember the rumours and was warned about him when I was a kid (I lived in the same area) but if he didn`t get convicted then it`s probably not right to put that on here.
cashman and Big Dave like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..