Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2013, 22:38   #1

Donald Beswick Readings

Hello. I hope this is the right place to post this. I received a cassette made by the late Donald Beswick, originally from Swinton, in which he reads four selections in Lancashire dialect. I have digitized the cassette and would like to give his readings to a dialect society or perhaps post them somewhere where they would be appreciated. Suggestions, please? I am in Tucson. Many thanks. James Owens.
wigalois is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2013, 05:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Donald Beswick Readings

James. I was secretary of The Lancashire Dialect Society until it folded, maybe 20yrs ago now. It has been succeeded by The Lancashire Society ( Google their website) There is also The Lancashire Authors Association - Google theirs. I suggest also sending one to the North West Sound Archive, which is based at Clitheroe Castle I will PM you. I am wondering why you chose to send this to an Accrington site rather than a Swinton one. I am prepared to come out to collect the item if you will meet my expenses.
maxthecollie likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:10   #3

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. Now I know why I received no response from the Dialect Society.

I will check for the Lancashire Society, the Lancashire Authors Society and also the North West Sound Archive. All of these sound promising.

As for not posting on a Swinton site, I did not know there was one. Maybe I can find it.

Or I could just send them to you as a CD. My email is [email protected] if you want to send me your address.

And we would be happy indeed to receive you here but I fear you must use your own airline miles. And you should wait until the local Indians do their rain dance on the feast of San Juan--that will bring on our spectacular monsoons about the first of July.
wigalois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 06:43   #4
Senior Member+

I forgot to PM you. I will email. We still don't know why you chose an Accrington site - are you an Accy lad? Let's be knowing. You might have old pals on here. We have year-round monsoons.
Old 26-05-2013, 20:32   #5
Senior Member+

Wigalois has been in touch following me emailing him. I have put him in touch with the Lancashire Society. He is wanting to find who wrote 2 poems which his deceased pal, a Lancashire lad, wrote. I have told him who wrote one of them. Let's hear more from Wiigalois to see if anyone on here can identify the poem. It will help if he gives us the first line. I will then check it in an index

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..