Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2008, 21:14   #46

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Hi Robyn/Barnsie, Thanks for your response. My GGF's name was Henry Franklin and he was lodging with a James and Isabella Dobson. He wasn't there for long and it was during the early/mid 1870s and so in between censuses. David.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2008, 21:43   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I used to visit Dyke Nook evey six months back in the early 90s when I was on the LCC Social Services Liaison Committee, its a magnificent building and Im so pleased its being brought back to its original splender. I actually thought that John Stubbs, who owned Accrington Brush Works once lived there, but I may be wrong.
What did you do at dyke nook ? and were you based in accrington ?
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:02   #48

I have a friend boarding with me at the moment and he was telling me about when he and his wife looked after the children in the Dyke Nook childrens home. He was telling me about the house, the architect etc etc and I said I would take a look on the internet cos he was wondering what had happened to the home (by the way, I live in Durban, South Africa) so word has travelled!! Anything else that would interest me (knowing nothing about this place at all) would be greatly appreciated, thanks
joybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:19   #49

I have a friend boarding with me at the moment and he was telling me about when he and his wife looked after the children in the Dyke Nook childrens home. He was telling me about the house, the architect etc etc and I said I would take a look on the internet cos he was wondering what had happened to the home (by the way, I live in Durban, South Africa) so word has travelled!! Anything else that would interest me (knowing nothing about this place at all) would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by joybell; 18-03-2008 at 10:20. Reason: sent in twice
Old 18-03-2008, 10:22   #50

Hi Joybell,
If you look at the previous pages on this site it will tell you the history of Dyke Nook, the Children's home and the current owner's renovations.
My Barnes ancestors lived in the previous Dyke Nook House I believe (19th century), which was demolished later to make way for the present one......

Cheers,
Barnsie
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 09:38   #51

Hey Barnsie
Thanks so much - I printed this all and took it home - had a good evening chatting. Are there any photos at all please. I went on to Google earth but would really like a photo from ground level as it was and is now if possible. Can you advise me at all? thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 19:11   #52
God Member

Has this project moved on in recent months, I have noticed the gardens being cleaned up, and one or two vans about, but the place still appears to be boarded up!
Old 14-07-2008, 10:30   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
What did you do at dyke nook ? and were you based in accrington ?
I've only just picked up on this, jackyalex. It was my job to see that everything ran smoothly, such a cleaning food ect, I was ad stll am based in Ossy
Old 16-09-2008, 21:42   #54

Hi Darren,

I was interested to come across your name (Rigg). I think your Father is my half brother. I have not seen him since your Grandad's funeral 30 odd years ago. I believe your Dad also has a brother called Terry. I have a sister called Yvonne.
If it is the same David Rigg, then please pass on my regards to him. It's been too many years and I figured it was about time to get in touch and say hello.
My email address is [email protected] . If he would like to get in touch or just pass my regards on to Terry as well then that would be great.

Regards,
Anthony Jackson (Rigg)
anthony jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 18:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary Tourist View Post
Walking along the 1891 Census there are several houses in Dykenook then Hirstwood then Whin Side then Crown Inn then Lane Side on Census 1891 RG12/3359 Folio 109 page 29. (Not sure if Crown Inn still exists today)

my friend used to live in Whinside house - it is next door to the Crown inn. They lived there in the late 60´s to early 80´s and then it was sold and became a retirement home. I believe it has now been sold again and is back to a residencial unit again. Nice old house....
Old 21-03-2009, 11:17   #56
Full Member+

It is being done up, each room ensuite,I know this as the decorator who is working in Dyke Nook is a friend of mine.
Diane.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 12:43   #57

Hi ATARAH, I am interested in the Parker roots. I am researching the old American west
hero Butch Casidy and would like to have all your information that you can offer on this subject. Thanks a lot
Archie
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 13:19   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Hi ATARAH, I am interested in the Parker roots. I am researching the old American west
hero Butch Casidy and would like to have all your information that you can offer on this subject. Thanks a lot
Archie
Your in the wrong place. The Parker family when they lived in Accrington, did'nt live at Dyke Nook. They were at Water Flats.
I like your method of research,
and would like to have all your information.
Not a please or may I.

Retlaw.

I have already reseached the Parker Family both here and in America for a friend.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 13:20   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Archie
My (now deceased ) 2nd ex husband used to say that Hetta Place was his great aunt who had emigrated from Blackburn.
He was a lying toadie, and when I tried to research it, I found that she had been too

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 18:21   #60

My husband and myself now live in Dyke Nook Lodge any info regarding the history would be very interesting for us if it is no trouble to you, e-mail [email protected]

Thank You
Margaret Rigg
mmbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..