Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2013, 05:49   #106

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

OR perhaps this: From Old Homesteads
WOOLHURST BANK, "The old home of the Haworths was afterwards occupied by James Barnes (1767-1852) and family. The Barnes' afterwards removed to Daisy Hill in Manchester Rd.
Jonathan Barnes, who also lived in Accrington House after the Peels left, was of this family. An old tradesman's diary mentions Jonathan Barnes mowing grass in the meadows behind Abbey Street. It was from HIM that BARNES STREET takes its name."
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2013, 08:26   #107
Senior Member+

Whether it is named after a family or an individual, I feel it is most likely that the Peels had some influence in the naming. Without researching it , I think it may be that the Peels owned the land and the Barnes family farmed it as tenants.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:20   #108

Could have been, but in any case, it is known that the occupants of Accrington House at various times in the 19th century were of the same Barnes family, so I expect Barnes St., was indeed named after that particular family.
Certainly early on in 1828 it is known that Woolhurst Bank Farm was tenanted by James Barnes...thereafter some of the other Barnes families were seen in the Industrial scene as Manufacturers etc., so their influence in town affairs would have been considerable.

Cheers,
Robyn
Old 14-05-2013, 11:41   #109
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsie View Post
Could have been, but in any case, it is known that the occupants of Accrington House at various times in the 19th century were of the same Barnes family, so I expect Barnes St., was indeed named after that particular family.
Certainly early on in 1828 it is known that Woolhurst Bank Farm was tenanted by James Barnes...thereafter some of the other Barnes families were seen in the Industrial scene as Manufacturers etc., so their influence in town affairs would have been considerable.

Cheers,
Robyn
James Barnes was indeed the tenant of part of Woolhurst Bank
Acres 6 Roods 3 Perches 35,
the ratable value of which was 20-19s-1 1/2p
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 00:26   #110

Thanks for the detail Retlaw.....much appreciated.

Robyn
Old 15-05-2013, 15:36   #111
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsie View Post
I have in my possession a copy of the Accrington Jubilee Souvenir 1878 to 1928........within it shows two plans of the area 1849 and 1928.

In the 1849 plan Barnes St. is not shown. It appears to have been perhaps a laneway leading off Abbey Street, opposite Blackburn Road/Street.
So as it is definitely there in 1928, I would guess that perhaps Barnes Street was named after William Barnes, who lived in Accrington House and died in 1864. The 1849 plan shows this estate as entering from what was Whalley Road, near Abbey Street.
"A man of some prominence was Mr. William Barnes. Engaged in cotton, he and his partner, Mr. Lang Bridge, built Park Mill about 1861 and there carried on the manufacture of fancy dress materials.
Mr. Barnes was an active member of the New Church, holding many important offices. He was a member of the Local Board of Health and also a member of the Burial Board during the formation of the Cemetery. He was a strong advocate for a cemetery and, strange to relate, he was the first to be interred there October 10, 1864."

So Bob, if you can find something else, which seems to fit the bill more clearly, please let me know........
As well, I would dearly love to make contact with any of my Barnes descendants, so far, very few seem to be around or at least, interested in Family History.
Cheers,
Robyn
Would that be the Mr Lang Bridge who started the engineering works at Exchange Street Spring Hill, where did he live in Accrington do we know much about him.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 15:44   #112
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Would that be the Mr Lang Bridge who started the engineering works at Exchange Street Spring Hill, where did he live in Accrington do we know much about him.
Sorry just looked in the search box loads on Lang Bridge (should have done that first)
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:12   #113

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier - I haven't read the whole thread, but according to the Phone Books Sir William Wiggins Cocker lived at Dyke Nook between 1952 and 1964.

He moved there from Glen Wold on Queens Road.
Old 14-11-2013, 11:47   #114

hay you use to live there im looking for an old friend that live there when it was a childrens home just woundering if you can help me?
andreachadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:33   #115
Senior Member+

DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Can you give a name. I had a mate at school who lived there. Hope it's not him cos he's now in nick.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:48   #116
Junior Member+

Hi
Could anyone tell me where the records went regarding the childrens home at DykeNook and the children who lived there anyone help thanks kind regards....Angela Cameron
Angela 1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:52   #117

I live at Dyke Nook Childrens Home from 1980 till i left school in 1986
acave24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:53   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreachadwick View Post
hay you use to live there im looking for an old friend that live there when it was a childrens home just woundering if you can help me?

What year?
acave24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..