Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2008, 22:51   #46

Re: East lancs regiment?

My Grandad was in the Bantams Retlaw, would I find his records in with the Lancs Fusiliers do you think?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2008, 23:16   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
My Grandad was in the Bantams Retlaw, would I find his records in with the Lancs Fusiliers do you think?
It depends where you look and what information you already have.
I was at Wellington Barracks last week, and you will get no help there for some time, the place is closed to the public, they are opening a new museum in the center of Bury in March next year.

First I would search the medal cards, to see if he was still in the Bury Bantams at the end of the war, then try the burnt and unburnt records.
If his records survive, they should tell if and when he was ever wounded, who his next of kin were, if he was wounded, then a search of the local newspapers might reveal even more info.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 21:45   #48

Thanks Retlaw,
I've got an inkling that he may have been part of a joint Lancs/Cheshire unit, would they still be listed under Bury Bantams?
Old 15-12-2008, 22:27   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Thanks Retlaw,
I've got an inkling that he may have been part of a joint Lancs/Cheshire unit, would they still be listed under Bury Bantams?
The battalion know as the Bury Bantams, was one of the Lancs Fusilier battalions.
I have no record of there ever having been, a Lancs/Cheshire unit.
London Scottish, Liverpool Irish, York & Lancs, Notts & Derby, yes,
but never a Lancs/Cheshire unit.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 21:40   #50

Thanks again. Another webber pm'd me to point out that the 15th or 16th Cheshires formed part of the 35th division as did the Accrington & Burnley Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. This would tally with what my dad used to say about his dad's WWI experience.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..