Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 17:32   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

East lancs regiment?

Does anyone know what the uniform was like for WW1, i have a pic of a my great grandad in his uniform, but no hat and havent a clue which regiment he was from. I presume its the east lancs, as im sure he lived in lancashire, but i may be wrong
Old 05-11-2008, 17:34   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: East lancs regiment?

If you post it I bet Retlaw will be able to tell you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:43   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Tried to but it wont show ....stupid red cross appears
Old 05-11-2008, 17:45   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

great grandad.JPG

done it
Old 06-11-2008, 10:15   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Doubt if you'll be able to tell from that photo panther, my granddad was in the first world war and he lived in Ossy, but I'm sure he wasn't in the East Lances Reg. My Dad served in WW2 lived in Ossy and was in the Lancashire Fusiliers
Old 06-11-2008, 10:22   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Does anyone know what the uniform was like for WW1, i have a pic of a my great grandad in his uniform, but no hat and havent a clue which regiment he was from. I presume its the east lancs, as im sure he lived in lancashire, but i may be wrong
Most WW1 army uniforms were very similar amongst all regiments, on his left shoulder epaulette, there is a flash can you make out what it is. It is very early in the war, as the belt he is wearing is an early pattern.

If you send his name, I will look in the East Lancs records.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39   #7
Member.

Hi Panther,

Proud looking Man, hope you find his regiment, if you have is name and the area he lived in I’ll be happy to look on Ancestry for you for he Military Records although I think Retlaw will beat me to it.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:48   #8
Member.

Retlaw, can you identify these collar badges for me, it’s most likely Service Corp of the West Yorkshire regiment, the gent wearing them is my great uncle, Harold Whitaker, a Shipley (North Brieley) man who died of wounds in 1922 at the age of 26.

I can't seem to find any other information myself so any help will be a blessing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collar Badges.jpg (17.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Harold Whitaker, him Mother Annie and Morris his Brother.jpg (127.7 KB, 22 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2008, 13:26   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Retlaw, can you identify these collar badges for me, it’s most likely Service Corp of the West Yorkshire regiment, the gent wearing them is my great uncle, Harold Whitaker, a Shipley (North Brieley) man who died of wounds in 1922 at the age of 26.

I can't seem to find any other information myself so any help will be a blessing.
Doug.
Thats a new one on me, that collar badge, can't find it in my books, but putting the two together It looks like Pioneer, Rifle Brigade.
Have you tried the newspapers where he died, there may be an obituary in the local papers which may give a hint to his war service.
You won't find his Service papers on ancestry, W's have'nt been done yet,
the medal cards show several Harold Whitakers in Yorkshire Reiments, and one as Pte. DM2/118264. A.S.C.

Retlaw.
Old 06-11-2008, 13:37   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Panther, I've had a closer look at that badge on his shoulder, not sure what it is but its definitely not East Lancs.
Whats his name, where did he live.

This is an East Lancs Badge.
E.L. Badge.jpg
Old 06-11-2008, 14:11   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Doubt if you'll be able to tell from that photo panther, my granddad was in the first world war and he lived in Ossy, but I'm sure he wasn't in the East Lances Reg. My Dad served in WW2 lived in Ossy and was in the Lancashire Fusiliers
Who was your Granddad who served in WW1, and lived in Ossy.

Retlaw.
Old 06-11-2008, 14:15   #12
Member.

Cheer’s Retlaw, Yes I’ve seen the four or five possible on Ancestry but without indentifying the collar badges I can’t him down to a regiment but thank you for having a look, I’ll try one of the WW1 forums and see if anything comes back. I’m pleased that the W’s haven’t been done yet as it gives me something to look forward too, I’m also hoping to get over to Shipley at sometime to search local records.

I wanted to put his service number and Regiment on a wooden remembrance cross for Sunday, we have three to place this year, one each for the first and the second world war and one more recent event in Afghanistan…

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2008, 14:30   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
One of my Grandads was definitely in the Lancashire Fusiliers (on his shoulder in this pic there is the lettering LF) - the other Grandad was in the Air Force I think.

But that was WW2 so probably not much help to you Panther.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Francis Hunt1.jpg (252.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Frank Highton1.jpg (488.9 KB, 15 views)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 15:24   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Cheer’s Retlaw, Yes I’ve seen the four or five possible on Ancestry but without indentifying the collar badges I can’t him down to a regiment but thank you for having a look, I’ll try one of the WW1 forums and see if anything comes back. I’m pleased that the W’s haven’t been done yet as it gives me something to look forward too, I’m also hoping to get over to Shipley at sometime to search local records.

I wanted to put his service number and Regiment on a wooden remembrance cross for Sunday, we have three to place this year, one each for the first and the second world war and one more recent event in Afghanistan…
Try this site, if they can't help no one can.
The Western Front Association Front Forum: discussing The Great War 1914-18 • Index page

When the W's come on line remeber there are two sets of records.
The British Army Service Records.
The British Army Pension Records.
As he died in 1922, presumably from war wounds he may have been in receipt of a pension.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-11-2008 at 15:28.
Old 06-11-2008, 16:30   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Who was your Granddad who served in WW1, and lived in Ossy.

Retlaw.
Retlaw, he was called John James Farrer, after the war he had a property repairs business, his workshop was where the car park is now on Lord Street Ossy, next to the civic theatre, he was also a fireman, there is a photo of him with the other men in the service at the time, in the civic societies place opposite the civic theater. he died in 1934 he never really recovered from being gassed during the war

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..