Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2009, 21:51   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Eastgate Roundabout Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
i was always taught - by several people including my advanced driving instructor at the time, that if you come up to a roundabout and want to turn left (or any other turning up to and including the one at a 12 oclock position) then you use the left lane - but anything after the 12 oclock position relative to where you are (and at the eastgate roundabout asda exit is actually at about the 1 oclock position)then you use the right lane and indicate and move left immediately after passing the exit before - which i believe is marked originally as your 'red lane'? the highway code book which someone showed the illustration from earlier is correct for a road that goes straight on from your relative position - whereas the asda turn off isnt in this case. I always go to the inside lane and then the left lane and most people around me seem to as well

Of course Lynn, your advice was correct, however this turn off is not beyond 12 o'clock. Ok. I used geometry of under 180 degrees to explain this point ... same difference .. but get out your set square and tell me that this is not under 180 degrees or before 12 o'clock.

Viaduct roundabout.jpg

What your advisors failed to tell you was that there are many busy marked roundabouts around the UK that are exceptions to this rule due to consideration of, heavy or not, inflowing traffic from the left.

Last edited by katex; 18-10-2009 at 21:55.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2009, 23:09   #62
Senior Member+

I see this is a close call.

I like in the picture, orgional and Katex's (Same pic) there are 3 cars all in the right hand lane, wonder how many where going onto hyndburn road.
Old 18-10-2009, 23:26   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I see this is a close call.

I like in the picture, orgional and Katex's (Same pic) there are 3 cars all in the right hand lane, wonder how many where going onto hyndburn road.
That will have to be another thread for one of your wonderful mysteries Mr D Just like where are the 3 cars in the right hand lane you mention.. oh hek, been spirited away by aliens LOL. Sorry .. just a bit of fun.. honest. x

Last edited by katex; 18-10-2009 at 23:31.
Old 18-10-2009, 23:58   #64
God Member

That big red mark in the sky over Accrington is giving me the heebie jeebies

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 00:09   #65
Resting in Peace

Ok ... changed it to Pink just for you ...not that I really see you as a pink person though :-

Viaduct roundabout.jpg
Old 19-10-2009, 12:20   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That will have to be another thread for one of your wonderful mysteries Mr D Just like where are the 3 cars in the right hand lane you mention.. oh hek, been spirited away by aliens LOL. Sorry .. just a bit of fun.. honest. x
Im glad you enjoy my mystery threds.

3 Cars in the right hand lane on the roundabout.
Old 19-10-2009, 12:42   #67
God Member

It's the red line that you should be following on - because the rule of left hand lane for the first and possibly second exit is right, right hand for everything else. It's clearly the third exit off the roundabout so you should use right.

If you're going the opposite way you should be in the lane that you are going into i.e. left if you're going into the left lane beyond the roundabout and right if you're going in the right lane beyond the roundabout. If the roundabout wasn't there you are basically staying in the lane that you need to be in. This applies when the road is the direct continuation of the road you are on (only with a roundabout obstructing it).

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 17:49   #68
Full Member+

This one could run and run as all drivers seem to approach any particular hazard differently. I believe that the best way of dealing with a roundabout is to treat it like the face of a clock, the approach road always being 6-o-clock. Any junction prior to 12-o-clock should be approached from the left or nearside lane, any junction beyond 12-0-clock, the right or offside lane. Always works for me.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 19:01   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It's clearly the third exit off the roundabout so you should use right.
Is it

Arndale Car Park = 1
Union St = 2
King St = 3
Hyndburn Rd = 4

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 19:42   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Is it

Arndale Car Park = 1
Union St = 2
King St = 3
Hyndburn Rd = 4

Even more reason for it to be the right lane then!

I was thinking of King St being one way but you're right it does go both ways.

Old 19-10-2009, 19:53   #71
God Member

The red line on the map should IMHO switch from right lane to left lane as you are going under the viaduct

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 20:47   #72

Consider if the roundabout was not there, youd be going straight on to asda.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 11:13   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post

The red line on the map should IMHO switch from right lane to left lane as you are going under the viaduct
Very true.
Old 20-10-2009, 13:30   #74
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am a right hand lane user for this one. I had an old aquaintance who was an advanced police driving instructor who always used the right hand lane here. My reasoning is that you are going more than 2 junctions round the roundabout. Before the roundabout was there, it was always a right turn onto Hyndburn Rd. Widening the approach, calling it Eastgate and plonking a big roundabout there does not make it any less of a right turn...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 13:35   #75
God Member

My big roundabout bug bear is the one near the Dunkenhalgh. If you're coming from Accrington and going across to the traffic lights you should get into the lane that you want to be in at the other side of the roundabout. It's a continuation of a road.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..