Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2009, 13:14   #1
Senior Member+

Eastgate Roundabout Annoyance

As most of you will be aware of the roundabout in question and probably drive on it at some point.

I would like to see if most people know how it should be used.

The sinario (SP) is you are coming from eastgate and you wish to go to the ASDA.

The question is which lane should you be in. As 70% of people seem to get it wrong (IMO Wrong). I have had to take the incorrect lane as you know the car in front has it all wrong to avoid and possible collision.

Here is some Pics of what I mean.

Now IMO you should take the red line, Most seem to take the black line.

So which are you? and would you argee the red line is the correct line to take heading on to hyndburn road? Or have I got it wrong?
Old 13-10-2009, 13:19   #2
God Member

Re: Eastgate Roundabout Annoyance

I'm with you on the red one, seen people on the black one and they've gone right round and up Milnshaw lane!
I was taught, unless road markings state otherwise, if your coming off the first exit get in the left lane, for any other exit get in right lane and move to the left once you have past the junction before the one you want to exit from.
But if theres no road markings there they aint doing anything illegal, you can use both
One that really annoys me is the M60/M66 junction, its all colour coded and they still get in the wrong lane

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 13-10-2009 at 13:21.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:25   #3
God Member

Red for me also..............i`ve been undercut there many a time......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:33   #4
God Member

if you are turning left or going straight ahead it is the left lane you shoud be in , if coming down eastgate and going to asda you are turning right and should be in the right hand lane

unfortunatly county councils are unaware of the highway code and have marked many roundabouts out incorrectly and against the highway code so when somone is tought to the highway code and encounters these wrongly marked roundabouts it causes confusion, accy center roundabout isnt marked out but take the roundabouts between the willows pub and queens park hospital for example where the roundabouts have arrows indicating which lane to use they mark out the right hand lane for going straight ahead which is totally wrong and against what is taught by driving instructors so its no wonder people get confused when they approach an unmarked roundabout beause thanx to these morons who plan road markings everyone is been directed to incorrectly use a roundabout

bare in mind %90 of the morons on the roads today dont even bother to indicate their intention or even bother to indicate that they are going to exit a roundabout its pretty much a guessing game on where is safe to put yourself on the bloody things these days

is it any wonder theres such a high rate of collisions on accy center roundabout

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:47   #5
Resting in Peace

LOL .. have had fun with this one before Mr D. Still have not changed my opinion .. left lane ..

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...out-35050.html
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL .. have had fun with this one before Mr D. Still have not changed my opinion .. left lane ..

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...out-35050.html
then your wrong twice lol

speaking of that exit does anyone else get blinded at night by boy racer morons parked up with their headlights on shining directly into the traffic on the roundabout ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-10-2009 at 13:56.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 14:10   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
As most of you will be aware of the roundabout in question and probably drive on it at some point.

I would like to see if most people know how it should be used.

The sinario (SP) is you are coming from eastgate and you wish to go to the ASDA.

The question is which lane should you be in. As 70% of people seem to get it wrong (IMO Wrong). I have had to take the incorrect lane as you know the car in front has it all wrong to avoid and possible collision.

Here is some Pics of what I mean.

Now IMO you should take the red line, Most seem to take the black line.

So which are you? and would you argee the red line is the correct line to take heading on to hyndburn road? Or have I got it wrong?
If your going to Asda you should be in the Black Lane, if our going to Aldi then you should be in the Red Lane and start indicating left as soon as you pass Hyndburn Rd.

If every one used the correct lanes and their indicators, there should'nt be any accidents.
Its the selfish drivers that want to get there first that cause the problems, you usually pull up behind them at the next traffic lights and they are drumming their hands on the sterring wheel waiting for the light to change.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 14:27   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

take the roundabouts between the willows pub and queens park hospital for example where the roundabouts have arrows indicating which lane to use they mark out the right hand lane for going straight ahead which is totally wrong and against what is taught by driving instructors so its no wonder people get confused when they approach an unmarked roundabout beause thanx to these morons who plan road markings everyone is been directed to incorrectly use a roundabout
Is this the one Accyman ? :

Roundabout.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 14:30   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
speaking of that exit does anyone else get blinded at night by boy racer morons parked up with their headlights on shining directly into the traffic on the roundabout ?
Yes I have had this problem to. I also get this from cars that fit them HID Kits (Think its these) from ebay to incorrect lights and the beam patton is all over the place.

Seems we have a mixed bag hear on which lane, lets see which is the most popular then I will try to find a independant proffessionals thoughts.

So far I get 3 for Red & 2 for Black.
Old 13-10-2009, 15:12   #10
JFT96

Highway code, Rule 186

Signals and position.
When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

I have marked the rules regarding this cock up in bold

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 18:26   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Right hand lane for me but it should be marked up. If you look at the roundabout from a traffic point of view it should be right lane.

If you used the left then the right lane would only be used by people going to Homebase/Garage and Aldi/the houses in that area. Most of the cars coming down Eastgate are going to either Blackburn Road (left lane) or Hyndburn Road (right lane).

By using the lanes like above you make the best use of both lanes and the roundabout and reduce the tail back up Eastgate.

Its time LCC put some paint on it to show us which lane to use. Then again they would probably get it wrong.
Old 13-10-2009, 18:51   #12

Left hand lane.

The highway code is a bit flimsy when it gets to straight on (which this is).

While it may be more practical to you in the right hand lane, if there was to be a collision then the person in the left hand lane would be thought of as being in the correct lane by the police & insurance companies.
link

Last edited by mattylad; 13-10-2009 at 18:55.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 21:19   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Which is fine when there is even traffic exiting at all lanes. The roundabout in question would not have many cars using the right lane if the above picture was followed.

When there are lightly used exits after half way round like the one we are talking about the lanes should be marked so people with small brains ( and those from outside the area ) know which lane to use.
Old 13-10-2009, 22:14   #14

To be honest I use it every day and would say black lane..

I was under the impression it was left lane for first 2 junctions and right for others after that, given there is more than 4 exits on this one I assume that the first 3 would be black and the remainder red.... although as a rule, assumption is the mother of all ****up's !!!

Also, if the traffic is busy which it usually is then I use the red lane and nip out in front, for which a lot of you will probably want to shoot me for but when i'm driving 74 miles a day to lytham and back i need to crack on....

Cheers
Lee
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 23:10   #15

left lane is correct ive seen so many near misses with idiots trying to barge through from right lane!!!

armani is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..