Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 20:09   #1

Eating fish and chips later????

Anyone know if or how you can buy fish and chips from the chippy and keep them from going soggy when you want to eat them a couple of hours later?????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2012, 20:16   #2
God Member

Re: Eating fish and chips later????

A fish kept warm so long doesn't sound a good idea to me.

To stop batter going soggy as you carry them home, don't have vinegar on it until you want to eat it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 20:35   #3
God Member

Know a Geordie lad that went out on the lash and end of night bought fish n chips wrapped and went home.. at home he can't find his fish n chips and searches around for ages can't find em and goes to bed... next day he goes out the front door ..fish n chips are on his doorstep..he must have put em down to open his door.lol

Last edited by Mancie; 06-08-2012 at 20:38.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32   #4
I am Banned

stick em in the freezer compartment,then micro wave when you want to eat them
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:46   #5
God Member

I don't own a microwave*, but recall that when I did, it made some foods 'soggy' e.g. pastry.

*(I don't 'nuke' my food)

Old 07-08-2012, 12:23   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't own a microwave*, but recall that when I did, it made some foods 'soggy' e.g. pastry.

*(I don't 'nuke' my food)
You're right Margaret, I find that too,yuk. I keep bread in the freezer defrost in the microwave and it goes soft so i put it in a hot oven for a few minutes to revive it and crisp it up.

As to fish and chips I would suggest putting it in a metal tray on a piece of kitchen roll to absorb grease. Separate out the fish and the chips so they aren't piled up on top of each other and then put in the center of a hot oven for 5-10 minutes to heat up -should be relatively crispy that way.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27   #7
God Member

Best not use a microwave for defrosting either.

The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking :: Health-Science.Com ::

Old 07-08-2012, 12:31   #8
God Member

Quote:

I rarely use it at all - at the moment it's so hot here that the bread defrosts in the blink of an eye anyway. (I don't eat it anyway -just feed it to my dearly beloved)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I rarely use it at all - at the moment it's so hot here that the bread defrosts in the blink of an eye anyway. (I don't eat it anyway -just feed it to my dearly beloved)
Are Widows Pensions in Italy better than we have in UK?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:45   #10
God Member

Quote:
Are Widows Pensions in Italy better than we have in UK?
Will look into it now -thanks for the suggestion

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-08-2012, 16:43   #11
Junior Member+

Best idea i have is get fish and chips, eat them and if still hungry in a few hours go back for additional fish and chips. Another top tip is have a go yourself only easy and tastes yummy.
Matt Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:10   #12

Quote:

It's very easy to make porridge in the microwave, in a pyrex jug, only takes a couple of minutes and no messy pan!
As for the fish and chips, Mobertol's idea sounds the best to me.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:27   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
It's very easy to make porridge in the microwave, in a pyrex jug, only takes a couple of minutes and no messy pan!
As for the fish and chips, Mobertol's idea sounds the best to me.
I know it's easy but what's the point of eating it when it isn't going to nourish you.

" Production of unnatural molecules is inevitable. Naturally occurring amino acids have been observed to undergo isomeric changes (changes in shape morphing) as well as transformation into toxic forms, under the impact of microwaves produced in ovens. One short-term study found significant and disturbing changes in the blood of individuals consuming microwaved milk and vegetables."

Last edited by MargaretR; 07-08-2012 at 18:29.
Old 07-08-2012, 18:46   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I know it's easy but what's the point of eating it when it isn't going to nourish you.

" Production of unnatural molecules is inevitable. Naturally occurring amino acids have been observed to undergo isomeric changes (changes in shape morphing) as well as transformation into toxic forms, under the impact of microwaves produced in ovens. One short-term study found significant and disturbing changes in the blood of individuals consuming microwaved milk and vegetables."
On the other hand...

Microwave Cooking – Is It Safe?

Having spent some time today reading around this subject I find that most of Google's hits contain exactly the same article cut and pasted ad infinitum, from which Margaret's quote comes. I got very bored...
Old 07-08-2012, 19:20   #15
God Member

my new signature was done early today - very apt.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..