Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 14:15   #1

Elite snooker

Ha Ha. Sorry all , but I think I am going to be asking lots of question about Accy now I've found this site. I've got 40 years or thereabouts to catch up on. I've also got to read all the posts on here as well . Todays question is :- is the 'Elite' snooker place still in existence? I still have my 50's memberships cards. When did it close down and what is it now please?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 14:32   #2

Smile Re: Elite snooker

The Elite Snooker Club is on Grange Lane In Accy, I don't know if it's still open. My brother used to go to the old elite, I think it was at the bottom of Ormerod St at that time.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 17:44   #3

Re: Elite snooker

the elite is near where central car sales started out accross from the police station the one on ormerod st was rileys . the elite is still open but from what i hear not a place id wanna go anymore i used to go a lot but thats over ten years ago a lad i work with went down with one of his mates just over a year ago and was walking out round midnight and got jumped by a group of asian lads for no reason and they made quite a mess of him
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 18:53   #4
Senior Member+

I think the Elite would have been opposite the yorkshire Bank back then terry, would i be right?
Old 01-12-2004, 22:34   #5

I go to Elite on a regular basis and although some of the tables are showing wear and tear its still a good alround place, plus the beer is cheapish! I always walk around by the police station not down on to Black Abbey as its quite dark down there and the risk of getting jumped is higher. The area overall has gone down with Nuttall St area being a hole. The club that was at the bottom of Ormerod St was Riley's, its now council offices. Used to go there years ago before they pulled Platts down.

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:50   #6

Janet. It was upstairs above shops or stores(can't recall) along Blackburn Rd but I can't place it accurately. I can see it in my minds eye but that's all
Old 03-12-2004, 08:10   #7

Janet. Another flash of memory. Directly opposite the Town Hall Entrance via the side St. opposite Avenue pde. but don't hold me to that please
Old 03-12-2004, 08:50   #8
Super Moderator

Terry, the entrance was on the lefthand side of St James Street as you go up. It was between the side of Redmans (as it was then) and the Derby. I was a member in the late 60's.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:11   #9

Ah yes the Derby. Another memory into place. It had a big lounge area as I recall. Now I am remembering. Well I think I am. Is St James st the one that went up to the baths?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:56   #10
Super Moderator

That's the one, Terry.
Old 03-12-2004, 14:28   #11
Senior Member+

Wynonie remember when a young Alex Higgins used to take everyones money in the Elite ?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:46   #12
I am Band

In the early eighties, the Elite used to be in the old Ambulance Drill Hall, at the end of Hyndburn Road underneath the viaduct. I used to go in with a few mates from school, on Friday nights. We normally only had enough money to play on the 8' table in the back right-hand corner of the snooker hall.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:55   #13
Super Moderator

Yeah, I remember him, Bazf. An unknown Irish lad, but his skill certainly showed through, even then!
Old 03-12-2004, 15:58   #14

When I was a young teenager I played a fellow called Derek Plinston in the final of a comp up there. He was a bit on the heavy side was Derek but he beat me anyway. I played him on number 8 table because it had the tightest pockets. Ha Ha but it didn't do me any good. Nearly got him though if it hadn't been for a fluke of his. I think he used to play in the Observer cup every year against a fellow called Todd???? and a bloke called Joe Thornton. I think Thornton always came second from memory. He could never win it
Old 03-12-2004, 16:03   #15

Wasn't the Ambulance drill hall where the Accy pipe band did their practice. And I remember the military or brass band practicing upstairs at the Castle in Whalley Rd.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..