Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2008, 20:03   #16
God Member

Re: Emergency Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I made that call a year ago..........still waiting

Give them another ring, they might go about it differently now, not sure

I gave them my details, they passed it onto someone and I got a letter direct from them
Old 27-05-2008, 20:04   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I made that call a year ago..........still waiting
I did, but it seems that when they updated there systems some time back a bit (or probably all) of information was lost, or so they told me, so they put me back on the waiting list, that was only a few month ago, i would ring them back if you are still in need of a dentist and tell them you have been waiting years, i did and now have a dentist
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 21:15   #18
g78

I must have struck lucky - I had to go to the dentist a few months back as I broke a tooth. He said I should get on a waiting list as soon as possible as they can take a while, then a month later I got a letter from the NHS saying they had passed on my details to a dentist and they would be contacting me soon. A week later I got a call from Oak House and am now with them - ironic thing is I didn't even put my name on the list. So from going to see the original dentist to getting taken on, it took about 3 months.
Old 27-05-2008, 21:21   #19

It’s a poor do when a three month wait is considered reasonable, it’s just not good enough in my opinion.
Old 27-05-2008, 21:35   #20
g78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
It’s a poor do when a three month wait is considered reasonable, it’s just not good enough in my opinion.
But that is the thing though, technically I wasn't waiting - I never actually put my name down for any list, was just told I should do it. The NHS did it for me.
But I do get what you mean, at the end of the day you shouldn't have to wait for dental care - it should be much more readily accessible.
Old 27-05-2008, 21:55   #21
God Member

I have just been reading about this new place, Oak House Academy.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/mo...e_shortage.php

It says in the article that they are dental therapists, they are not qualified dentists but should be able to cope with the dental work that most people round here require.

I don't like the sound of that.

NHS dentistry is on its knees.

I suppose somewhere like that is ok for tiny fillings, scale and polish etc.

However I am in the middle of root canal treatment and I shudder to think what they'd make of that!

What are you supposed to do if you're registered there and need major endodontic/orthodontic work?
Old 27-05-2008, 22:07   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I have just been reading about this new place, Oak House Academy.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/mo...e_shortage.php

It says in the article that they are dental therapists, they are not qualified dentists but should be able to cope with the dental work that most people round here require.

I don't like the sound of that.

NHS dentistry is on its knees.

I suppose somewhere like that is ok for tiny fillings, scale and polish etc.

However I am in the middle of root canal treatment and I shudder to think what they'd make of that!

What are you supposed to do if you're registered there and need major endodontic/orthodontic work?

Erm............. I need route canal treatment. You've got me slightly worried now
Old 27-05-2008, 22:11   #23
God Member

Quote:
I would hope that if they cannot perform something like this then they would have the sense to refer you some where else
Old 27-05-2008, 22:18   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Erm............. I need route canal treatment. You've got me slightly worried now
I have had the first part of my root canal treatment and am going back later this week for the second part.

It is very intricate work.....surely these dental therapists will not attempt this.

I think that maybe I misinterpreted the newspaper article.

Perhaps it meant that the trainees will be ok on their own for minor work but that there will be qualified dentists on hand for major skilled work.....that must be it.

They cannot let students attempt root canal, they just can't.
Old 27-05-2008, 22:19   #25

Nothing short of a shambles
Old 27-05-2008, 22:21   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have had the first part of my root canal treatment and am going back later this week for the second part.

It is very intricate work.....surely these dental therapists will not attempt this.

I think that maybe I misinterpreted the newspaper article.

Perhaps it meant that the trainees will be ok on their own for minor work but that there will be qualified dentists on hand for major skilled work.....that must be it.

They cannot let students attempt root canal, they just can't.

The letter i received came accross to me as some work may be carried out by students so am hoping anything major will be by someone suitably qualified
Old 27-05-2008, 22:24   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
The letter i received came accross to me as some work may be carried out by students so am hoping anything major will be by someone suitably qualified
Yes, that must be the case.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 27-05-2008, 22:25   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, that must be the case.

Let us know how you get on.
Will do dont worry, but if it all goes pear shaped then might need the help of some accywebbers in fundraising for false teeth for me lol
Old 27-05-2008, 23:30   #29
God Member

I had a dentist who i believe left to join this practice and the emergency dental service, she is called parminder and she is fab, she has the patience of a saint and was great with my son who was really scared after a bad experience with another dentist, he now no longer fears going to the dentist at all

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 16:44   #30
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have seen 2 different lady dentists at this practice (formerly Accy Vic). They have both been excellent and I have had a lot of work done. You have to bear in mind that students have to train somewhere, the NHS is full of students training and dentistry is no different. I wouldn't think twice about having a student perform my treatment either in hospital or at the dentist. Students tend to give better care and are very closely supervised by qualified staff, I have always had good experiences with NHS students.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..