Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 22:31   #16

Re: Enfield Cricket team 1951

Yea he was, but what a gentleman. like most of the west Indian players.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2012, 23:03   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Yea he was, but what a gentleman. like most of the west Indian players.
Sure were, Wes Hall was a top geezer when he was accys Pro.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51   #18
Resting in Peace

Must agree with both Alan and Cashy, Chester Watson who played for Church in the early sixties was a real gent and great with the young cricketers, spent two nights a week in the nets with the youngsters and sometimes pop in to watch them play on a Monday Night
Old 04-04-2012, 10:11   #19

Dont know when my dad played for Enfield , before my time , Bert Townsend , spin bowler / captain

edit , just found a stats page .. 1939 / 1963

Last edited by Gary Townsend; 04-04-2012 at 10:18.
Gary Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:33   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not much into cricket any more, although the sport is growing in Canada as more and more new Canadians come from the Sub-Continent. But I do remember Wes Hall. And I seem to remember that one year, probably early 60s', Hall was pro at Accy and his partner Charlie Griffith, equally devastating, was pro at Burnley. What an opening pair! Right up there with the best of all time.

I remember watching Enfield as a kid, but remember few details.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:36   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamriley View Post
Hi. I dont surpose you have managed to find any photos have you. My grandfather was Jack Riley. He had a scrap book of newspaper cuttings and photos of his cricket days. I constantly search for photos of him, and havent managed to find any. I would very much appreciate anything you come across.
Pam - Jack Riley was my great Uncle, our parents our cousins! The family lost track of Jack after his brother (my grandad) died. Would it be possible to talk to you privately, I always love finding lost family. There is a book called Garth Dawson's Accrington which has two pictures of your grandad in. If you have a place to send, I can get a copy to you or just email the pictures etc. Unfortunately I don't have any other pictures as I only stumbled on the book on Thursday, until then we had no pictures of Jack.
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:42   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Its over 5 years since she posted that Krissy n dont come on here at all, yeh would be much better sending her a P.M. n crossing yer fingers.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:07   #23
Junior Member+

I have private messaged too since Pam posted a message on my Jack Riley post in March here but I didn't realise until now. Ah, can't believe it!
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:23   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy View Post
I have private messaged too since Pam posted a message on my Jack Riley post in March here but I didn't realise until now. Ah, can't believe it!
Ah wasn't aware of the other, still those are the only 2 posts shes made in all that time, so a pm has got to be yer best chance, hope yeh find what yer after.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wes Hall was preceded by a bowler who was considered to be one of the finest Fast Bowlers ever - Roy Gilchrist. Unfortunately he didn't like his bowling to be hit other wise the next bowl either was at your head or the family jewels, which on all accounts even with wearing a protector.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..