Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2008, 11:45   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: eubank accrington

The company was Entwistle and Kenyon. They made the Ewbank carpet sweeper. It was always known as "Ewbank works" even when it was taken over by Prestige. My mother worked there for a while. Tony Anderson (brother of Jon Anderson of "Yes") worked there too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2008, 11:59   #17
Resident Waffler

I don't know if this is any help to you but it now seems that they are part of the Earlex Group.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:38   #18
Give, give, give member

Ewbank Carpet Sweeper
c.1889
This carpet sweeper from the Museum collection is featured in Virtual Victorians where its production was wrongly credited to Thomas Ewbank.
This prompted an email from the great-grandson of its true manufacturer, R.W.Kenyon, who also supplied this fascinating history. ".... My idea was that if carpet sweepers could be a necessity in the States, they could also become a necessity here in England. One good friend sneered at the idea of ever making a success of such a carpet sweeper, and others doubted; but I felt that the scheme was a sound one and worth going on with.It was finally decided to proceed with preparations; and so, on 1st May 1889, the first carpet sweeper was produced for sale and sent out. I believe it was supplied to Hiram Waddington, Joiner and Builder, of Accrington.... "

Object of the Month - Winter 2002/03

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:48   #19
God Member

used to play in teh grounds of this place and many a child from back then could confirm there was loads of asbestos simply dumped all over teh grounds smashed up infact we used to make dens out of it

seems ewbank were pretty flamboyant about dumping teh stuff willy nilly but i dont think the dangers were known back in teh 80's

after it was demolished there was asbestos all over the place it was i the streets and i dare say quite a bit of asbestos dust was blown around the place by teh wind as it lay there in teh rubble for months before they started building asda

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:06   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The company was Entwistle and Kenyon. They made the Ewbank carpet sweeper. It was always known as "Ewbank works" even when it was taken over by Prestige. My mother worked there for a while. Tony Anderson (brother of Jon Anderson of "Yes") worked there too.
Tony Anderson was me gaffer in my time yon. that was the bottom department which ran from asda traffic lights to electricity st.
Old 29-01-2010, 08:34   #21
Senior Member+

Ewbank was bought out by Prestige Group - Burnley (Platers & Stampers) on Colne Rd, Crewe. Derby and various other locations - they also bought out Pal Razor Blades all because the other companies were in competition in some way. This all took place in the late '50s.
The parent company was ECKO Corporation of USA, owned by Edward Katzinger I believe.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:51   #22
Senior Member+

Ewbank was the trade name for Entwisle (no 't') & Kenyon. Their first manufactring base was in St James Street/Cannon Street and the building was called Ewbank. Possibly something to do with a yew tree. They moved from there to Milnshaw Works on Hyndburn Rd. Recently I read something about a very early legal battle involving the Kenyon family 'of Milnshaw', which leads me to think that they perhaps still owned the land on which their factory was built, this after several hundred years.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:33   #23

Would the building be Ewbank House, that now houses Quadra Solutions and before that the bus company ?

Nice to know a little of the history of the building - its quite grand.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:49   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Would the building be Ewbank House, that now houses Quadra Solutions and before that the bus company ?

Nice to know a little of the history of the building - its quite grand.
Dunno, but if yer talking Burnley, twas on the left hand side, goin from Town centre towards the owd Bank Hall Pit.
Old 25-09-2010, 16:37   #25

No - not the old Prestige building - the Accrington Cannon st Ewbank House building.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 16:45   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Dunno, but if yer talking Burnley, twas on the left hand side, goin from Town centre towards the owd Bank Hall Pit.
The Platers & Stampers building on Colne Rd was pretty impressive even before the extension. Served my apprenticeship there - happy days
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep was Prestige, but thats long gone at burnley, just thinking wasn't Ewbank - Entwistle @Kenyon? or has senility set in?
It was Cashey, but was always known as Ewbank in our day. Harold Kenyon was managing directer, he lived in a big house on Whalley Rd. just up from the Crown pub. Incidentally Stanleys ground today was owned by Ewbank and was their sports ground for many years. I am not sure the year when Prestige took over Ewbank but it was Prestige when we left for Oz 38years ago. Maybe the sports ground was sold when Prestige took over, because Stanley started up again before we left.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
It was Cashey, but was always known as Ewbank in our day. Harold Kenyon was managing directer, he lived in a big house on Whalley Rd. just up from the Crown pub. Incidentally Stanleys ground today was owned by Ewbank and was their sports ground for many years. I am not sure the year when Prestige took over Ewbank but it was Prestige when we left for Oz 38years ago. Maybe the sports ground was sold when Prestige took over, because Stanley started up again before we left.
Prestige took over Ewbank in the late '50s. I was an apprentice then at Prestige and one morning had to go to Ewbank to strip out a 3hp motor and take it to Burnley. If memory is still good the reason for the buyout was that Ewbank started to produce a "Minit Mop" - direct competition for the Prestige model.
Ewbank continued on after the buy out, in fact my wife worked evening shift there when I was posted to Borneo for a year, Dec 63 - Jan 65
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Prestige took over Ewbank in the late '50s. I was an apprentice then at Prestige and one morning had to go to Ewbank to strip out a 3hp motor and take it to Burnley. If memory is still good the reason for the buyout was that Ewbank started to produce a "Minit Mop" - direct competition for the Prestige model.
Ewbank continued on after the buy out, in fact my wife worked evening shift there when I was posted to Borneo for a year, Dec 63 - Jan 65
Barrie, i am thinking then you may have known a friend of ours, Fred Hilton.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 14:30   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Barrie, i am thinking then you may have known a friend of ours, Fred Hilton.
Doesn't ring any bells Irene. Served my apprenticeship at Prestige - still had the "Platers & Stampers" sign up when I started. Spent most of my free time on my motor bike and girls from Burnley and then Haslingden. Joined the RAF in '61 and didn't come back to Accrington until 2010.

Tags
asbestos, compensation, eubank, prestige

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..