Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2003, 23:08   #1
Senior Member+

Post Ewbank carpet sweepers

Hi everyone. Yesterday I was looking through a catalogue which was pushed through my door (dare I say it... "Betterware&quot and I was rather surprised to see they were advertising a carpet sweeper called a "Ewbank".  
Now you younger end may not know, but we had a very famous firm here in Accrington who made sweepers with the name "Ewbank".  The firm was approximately where ASDA now is.
I thought the name would have died out with the firm.  Does anyone know who "bought" the brand name?

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2003, 23:38   #2
Resting In Peace

Post Re: Ewbank carpet sweepers

Ewbank Products Limited
Billington Road, Burnley, Lancashire, England. BB11 5ED

And there's a website too www.ewbank.co.uk

Hope this has helped!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:37   #3
Senior Member+

I worked at Ewbank for 12 years, untill it closed down the accrington branch. Some people transfered to the burnley branch but i took the money and another job.It was a great firm to work for.I have made thousands of carpet sweepers over the years all good ones. ( i hope ) I think an american firm bought out  Prestige but dont quote me on it.
Old 02-12-2003, 13:07   #4
God Member

I think it's a British guy....they're still manufacturing on a small scale in Burnley, but my understanding is that alot of the stuff is coming from Thailand/China and is simply being rebadged there.

I did 2 summers working at Prestige back in the early '70's..that was in the days when we made quality stuff in Accy...these days we make very little but instead go out and spend our money in £1 tat stores in Accy....is their any connection, I wonder...?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 13:14   #5
Senior Member+

I was there in the early seventies tealeaf. I may know you then. ;D
Old 02-12-2003, 14:03   #6
God Member

Probably....I was the 6ft dark-haired hunky student...these days I'm just 6ft & hunky
Old 02-12-2003, 14:19   #7
Jo

Actually another quality product are our tablecloths. I worked as a not so hunky but never-the-less dark-haired student in the 1990s at the Hameldon Mill (is that what it's callesd? Bottom of Royds avenue.)
I used to burn the corners off the sewn tablecloths on a 1 inch line of metal white heat. Very boring.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, the tablecloths they make can be found all over the world, it's amazing, _They have a sort of rose pattern on them, they are really good quality.
Just thought I'd let you know that there are some other good quality products come from Accy.

oh yeah, and Karrimor too are big in the Alps area. Only prob they recently lost their distributor. I'm waiting for them to make me an offer, maybe I can help them out!!   ;D
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 14:45   #8
God Member

What happened to their distributor? Did they have a fall out? did the distributor go bust? there could be an opportunity for you there Jo.....you need to get on their website & find out what's going on....maybe you could get a pair of size 11 hiking boots for the Christmas Draw....
Old 02-12-2003, 14:54   #9
Jo

Their diostributor decided to dump the brand and distribute Salewa instead. Appently the margins are higher with Salewa but I know loads of people who are disspaointed that they can't get hold of Karrimor anymore. I'd certianly be interested in working for them as a sort of area sales and marketing manager for the Alps region, I could sort out some new distributors for them. And then I could get you some free size 11 boots!
Old 02-12-2003, 14:58   #10
Jo

ps there site is only available with flash 5 - I don't have it so I can't get in.
Another reason why they need a good marketing person in the company!!  ;D
Old 02-12-2003, 15:04   #11
God Member

I've not even heard of Salewa....what is it? Japanese?

There must be lots of disgruntled people around the Southern Tyroll.....Maybe we should start a new theme up here KARRIMOR SOUTH TYROLL...I'm sure (short of phoning them up) someone can get access into their site
Old 02-12-2003, 15:35   #12

my uncle worked for  sweeper place   thats where the asda is now right ?
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 15:37   #13
Senior Member+

Yep.
Old 02-12-2003, 15:42   #14
God Member

Yeah, thats right.....but they also made lots of other household utensils....dish drainers, kebab skewers...all sorts of things.

It was a big factory complex....they had one building where the air conditioning "system" was a World War 1 aircraft propeller in a hole high up in the wall....and the maintainance men worked from wooden sheds in the middle of the factory - they'd once been used by injured soldiers from WW1...they also had their own firebrigade (a land-rover was the fire engine).

Aye, we made things then...
Old 02-12-2003, 15:49   #15
Senior Member+

They also used to make washing machines too. But that was well before my time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..