Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 19:09   #31
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: exams and college - what did you study?

there are a lot of divs posting on ere, do they think we would really click on the links??

silly sods
Old 15-06-2007, 20:27   #32
God Member

just click teh report button mods will delete them fast enough

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 17:26   #33
Resident Waffler

I'm glad I was ill when the mocks were done or I'm sure it would have affected my real exams. If I'd done well I'd probably have become blasé and then failed miserably. If I'd done badly I'd probably have swotted myself silly, got into a panic and failed miserably. As it was I never took the mocks, sailed through the real things and actually enjoyed them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 17:32   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm glad I was ill when the mocks were done or I'm sure it would have affected my real exams. If I'd done well I'd probably have become blasé and then failed miserably. If I'd done badly I'd probably have swotted myself silly, got into a panic and failed miserably. As it was I never took the mocks, sailed through the real things and actually enjoyed them.
I quite enjoy exams myself but I must admit that these ones im going through now have been pretty stressful because they count for so much.
Im not as stressed as some people get though, just slightly nervous.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:46   #35
God Member

The question that seems to pleading for an answer is not "What did you study?", but "Why did you study?" ... other than to clear a meaningless hurdle.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:54   #36

Good look to you blazey i hope you have done well with your exam,s and you pass with good grade,s
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:54   #37
Resident Waffler

You have a point there Eric and the idea seems to be prevalent at the moment that the longer someone stays in school the more worthy they will be in society which is not necessarily the case.

Education doesn't automatically lead to more sense and higher intelligence.

Old 21-06-2007, 20:56   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The question that seems to pleading for an answer is not "What did you study?", but "Why did you study?" ... other than to clear a meaningless hurdle.
You can make another thread on that if you like, thats a bit deep and doesnt answer my question lol in a simple enough way for me to just find out about people and what they're interested (or in some cases not interested) in.

I study because I enjoy learning. I could probably study anything and enjoy it to some extent. But I made the thread to see what other people study or have studied. Knowing what the chose to study helps you know a bit more about them without having to pry too deep.
Old 21-06-2007, 20:57   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
Good look to you blazey i hope you have done well with your exam,s and you pass with good grade,s
And thanks I think ive done alright. Just one left to do now on wednesday.

Oh and another reason I enjoy studying is the variation of people you meet. I enjoy that the most I think. I hate to be leaving college now.
Old 21-06-2007, 21:08   #40
Resident Waffler

I used to go to a German class which was great fun. It was for people who already had a decent smattering of German (I took it at 'A' level) and we all had a great time but unfortunately it was scrapped. Maybe the powers that be thought we knew enough!

I love learning. It keeps your brain alive.

Old 21-06-2007, 21:10   #41
God Member

One thing I learned whilst I was taking my o'levels (GCSE's by another name) was that the teachers and head teacher wasn't allowed to look at your paper unless you left the room before the end of the exam - apparently that gave them the right to look.

I discovered this because I was taking my history exam which I hated with a vengeance - I rarely look back - anyway, I hadn't studied, wasn't interested and couldn't be bothered. After about an hour of jotting down daft answers - the best one that I remember was that a Manifesto was the name of the Roxy Music LP, absolutely nothing to do with the industrial revolution - I decided to leave the exam room. Cue, headteacher hauling me into her office and reading out some of my answers to me - I think she thought I'd lost my mind.

I did get 10 o'levels though so didn't do too badly - just hated history!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 21:14   #42
Resident Waffler

Oooh Gayle you little rebel you!

Old 21-06-2007, 21:43   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
One thing I learned whilst I was taking my o'levels (GCSE's by another name) was that the teachers and head teacher wasn't allowed to look at your paper unless you left the room before the end of the exam - apparently that gave them the right to look.

I discovered this because I was taking my history exam which I hated with a vengeance - I rarely look back - anyway, I hadn't studied, wasn't interested and couldn't be bothered. After about an hour of jotting down daft answers - the best one that I remember was that a Manifesto was the name of the Roxy Music LP, absolutely nothing to do with the industrial revolution - I decided to leave the exam room. Cue, headteacher hauling me into her office and reading out some of my answers to me - I think she thought I'd lost my mind.

I did get 10 o'levels though so didn't do too badly - just hated history!
I never had an interest in history and took it at A level. Havent had the results back yet but lets just say I made up my own version of Tariff Reform. I expect a nice smiley U.
Old 22-06-2007, 01:26   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You can make another thread on that if you like, thats a bit deep and doesnt answer my question lol in a simple enough way for me to just find out about people and what they're interested (or in some cases not interested) in.

I study because I enjoy learning. I could probably study anything and enjoy it to some extent. But I made the thread to see what other people study or have studied. Knowing what the chose to study helps you know a bit more about them without having to pry too deep.
I do believe that the two questions are inseperable. It's a "medium is the message" thing
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 04:31   #45

Things are different again in AUS... we dont have "A" or "O" levels and neither do we have SATs. You can leave high school after passing grade 10 with a year 10 certificate, and this is enough to get you into some kinds of colleges.. known as TAFE (Technical and Further Education) they offer a wide variety of courses. If you plan to go to University then you stay in school and finish grade 12. your chances of acceptance to Uni and the options available to study once there depend on how well you do in your final exams (here in New South Wales known as HSCs).

I quit school after year 10, got a job as a dental nurse and went to TAFE to gain the technical qualifications associated with the job. Did that for a number years, then married, had children etc.

After my children were grown up I went back to TAFE and did a course in Business Management, (helped me gain a management position when getting back in the workforce) then just for the fun of it.. to do something for me, I studied, Beauty Therapy, Make up Artistry and Massage Therapy. I work in retail, but have a few home based clients for beauty and massage.. and I do make up for weddings on a regular basis. The Beauty, massage and makeup is not like work to me though... its a great stress relief after a busy week at work.

There you go.. my education and work history in 2 paragraphs... pretty much the what and why!
eggstoocool is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..