Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2007, 08:14   #46
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: exams and college - what did you study?

I left school with 8 'O' Levels and have to admit to a rather minimalistic approach when it came to revision.. My dad bugged me to go to college, so I told him that I'd applied. I had to admit at the end of August that I hadn't applied, I couldn't get out of school quick enough and was damned if I was going to college..

I had a couple of shop and office jobs for a couple of years and did voluntary work with elderly mentally ill patients at Accy Vic. I started my nurse training at 19 and sailed through. I did no revision and was up the Peppermint Place the night before the finals. I figured that I had found something that I was interested in and that if I didn't know it by the finals, I never would.

A Midwifery Diploma came next, I swotted like mad for this one, it was an extremely difficult course to do in just 18 months with greater attention to detail on Anatomy, Physiology and autonomous practice.

I have done clinical teaching qualifications and a BSc since. I went to Uni as a mature student and hated every minute of it, but I have to admit that I learned a lot.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2007, 08:15   #47
Resident Waffler

Revision? What's that then?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 08:35   #48
God Member

I must say it'd be hard to study law without going over the cases because theres too much to always keep in your head.

Other subjects there isnt actually time to get through the full syllabus and be taught it properly, u get told it then your expected to learn it yourself, which gives you the choice of alot of homework during the year or a few days revision before an exam

My friend wants to be a midwife, she's been rejected from every uni she's applied to. Apparently they've tightened it up quite alot. She wanted to be a vet at first but wasnt getting the grades, so she thought being a midwife would be easier to achieve. Clearly not though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 09:59   #49
Resident Waffler

The thing with exams is they prove that at a certain point in time you could remember certain bits of information. There's no guarantee that you can even remember them the next day. In fact I have a tendency to immediately forget something once I've written about it. It's as if my brain thinks it only needs to store the information until such time a it can be downloaded elsewhere and then it no longer sees a need for it.

Revising was counter productive with me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 11:32   #50
God Member

There is no need to remember all the things you have remembered for a law exam because by the time your qualified you'll have text books and paperwork for guidance anyway.
Old 23-06-2007, 01:05   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
There is no need to remember all the things you have remembered for a law exam because by the time your qualified you'll have text books and paperwork for guidance anyway.
And a secretary .... but my lawyer (who is also my daughter) tells me that all the little things that you poudned into your memory in law school help you think on your feet in a trial.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 01:16   #52
Accy Goddess

I had to leave school as soon as I was 15 Mum and Dad wouldnt let me stay till I was 16. Had to go out an earn a living.
My only qualification I have is my N.V.Q 3 in care.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 02:37   #53
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
I had to leave school as soon as I was 15 Mum and Dad wouldnt let me stay till I was 16. Had to go out an earn a living.
My only qualification I have is my N.V.Q 3 in care.
Dag Anne, you've lived with Mick for how long? I believe that's gotta qualify you for something substantial. But seriously, managing a house and children and other work . . . I hate to think that some folks don't think that counts for much.

Like's been said, a degree in life, through real life struggles and challenges blows the water out of most degrees (IMHO). Cindy chose to help out with her family's bakery instead of going to college. I believe so much of at least American society puts too much emphasis on what degree you have or where is it from. I'm sure she feels that she missed out on getting a college degree but she has more than made up for that with life experiences and her current job as office manager.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 08:23   #54
mez
God Member

i too left school at 15yrs old, no college then for me straight out to work .........& qualified in life's expeireinces.
Old 23-06-2007, 19:46   #55
Junior Member+

I studied City and guilds Performing arts for a year (dance,music,drama,production techniques,arts administration,media studies and english) I had loads of fun, the class originally had 30 people on it,but through money/family troubles,folk realising it wasn't a doss after all,etc etc it got whittled down to 10 people! we got a lot more done,I made great friends,and I came out with a credit mark,so good times.
blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 19:52   #56

Blackburn College for me - 1 year doing art, second year media studies, then went to Sheffield Hallam Uni. Dropped out after about 8 months. Then spent a couple of years gaining life experience. Then went back to Uni at Salford studying media production.

Best years were spent doing media at Blackburn College. Great days
Old 23-06-2007, 22:41   #57
God Member

I'm definatly going to be doing law now, I don't know why I had an urge to change. The thing about art is, if I fail at law, I can still always do art. You dont get to fail at art and then do law. Once you've took that gap after college its too late to go back to law.
Old 24-06-2007, 22:27   #58
Accy Goddess

Well Brian my mum in-law reckons I deserve a bloomin medal for putting up with him for all these years lol.
Old 24-06-2007, 22:44   #59
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
Well Brian my mum in-law reckons I deserve a bloomin medal for putting up with him for all these years lol.
Aye Anne, you should write the Queen and get a Victorious Cross! LOL(as Cindy should get the Congressional Medal of Honor for having to deal with me these past 30 years!)

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 21:13   #60
Accy Goddess

Feeling rather pleased with My-self. Got to work yesterday and got my certificate for passing my level two in dementia.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..