Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2011, 18:57   #1

Question Fern Gore cottages??

I was talking to my brother today about family etc. He told me our granddad was born in Fern Gore cottages. I've Googled but can't find out where they were or are. Does anyone know where Fern Gore cottages are please?
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2011, 19:57   #2
JCB

Re: Fern Gore cottages??

There is Rose Place , a few terraced houses at the far end of Bullough Park , just past the bowling green .

Then the are some houses and bungalows on Park Crescent . One of them is called Higher Antley Hall , part of which dates back to the 1550s . Another is called Higher Antley Cottage . You gain access to the hall and cottage on the road that leads to the park from Willows Lane . The first house you come to is a relatively new one , and is the vicarage for St Peter's Church . The cottage and hall are just next to the vicarage .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 20:09   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The first house you come to is a relatively new one , and is the vicarage for St Peter's Church . The cottage and hall are just next to the vicarage .
What happened to the former vicarage - the substantial stone-built house right next to the church on Willows Lane/Perth Street?
Old 22-09-2011, 20:13   #4

I will have to ask my brother where a bouts they were. He seems to think there were 4 cottages and they've all become one house over time
Old 22-09-2011, 20:21   #5
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What happened to the former vicarage - the substantial stone-built house right next to the church on Willows Lane/Perth Street?
It was extended to be made into a residential care home , Arnside House . As far as I know it's a private residence now .

The vicar moved into one of the semis on Willows Lane just past Miller Fold .
Then the new vicarage was built .
Old 22-09-2011, 20:39   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was extended to be made into a residential care home , Arnside House . As far as I know it's a private residence now .

The vicar moved into one of the semis on Willows Lane just past Miller Fold .
Then the new vicarage was built .
Sounds like things have changed a lot in my old 'hood in the 30 years since I left. Will have to come and have a nosey soon.
Old 22-09-2011, 20:47   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I was talking to my brother today about family etc. He told me our granddad was born in Fern Gore cottages. I've Googled but can't find out where they were or are. Does anyone know where Fern Gore cottages are please?
That area has had several spellings in old documents & census records over tha past few 100 years. Fearngore, Fearn & Gore, Fern & Gore, Ferngore.
Accrington Library may have an old map of the area.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:24   #8

Thank you Retlaw. He was born in 1897 so I will get searching

Last edited by suedarbo; 22-09-2011 at 21:25. Reason: wrong year
Old 22-09-2011, 22:19   #9
God Member

Excuse the wander folks, but as it is on a similar topic I don't think that it is worth a new thread. Other cottages: does anyone else remember Stone Row in Clayton? I got a flashback (damn those sixties) about a old gentleman who lived there. Every day his wife would take off to the Village Blacksmith on Bayley St., with her jug ... and you would soon see her heading back with a jug full of beer.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 06:26   #10
God Member

That's brought back memories Eric, I remember Stone Row, we lived on the first block of houses on Lower Barnes Street, just past the Forts Arms pub - also remember Farmer Joe's at the top of Chapel Street near the ginnel leading up to Bayley Street - used to go up there for our eggs, there used to be a big bonfire every year on the land in front of Stone Row.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 07:13   #11
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Sounds like things have changed a lot in my old 'hood in the 30 years since I left. Will have to come and have a nosey soon.
Yes , things have changed .
Old 23-09-2011, 07:43   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes , things have changed .
Not for the better I take it. Might have a shufty up there next week.
Old 23-09-2011, 07:50   #13

Hi
I was born and bred up Fern Gore and don`t remember anyone mentioning the name of these cottages but they could be one of three locations. There was a row of maybe 3/4 cottages at the junction of Wordsworth Rd./FernGore Ave. One was shop and one was a cloggers shop and was known as John Bob`s. These were demolished 1950ish(?). Going down towards High St. there was a farm we knew as Lightbound`s. Do`nt remember it`s proper name, maybe Calfes Hey or Fern Gore farm but that`s just a guess. Further down the road, before crossing the narrow bridge,there was a farm track that led towards Jacobs Lodge, there was a row of 3 cottages which I think are the ones Suedarbo is looking for. The other cottages I remember in that area were over the river in Oswaldtwistle. Suedarbo, if you give me a name it might revive a memory cell and maybe more info.
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 08:17   #14

My grandad was called Riley Oldham. I'm not sure how long he was there but I know they moved into Oswaldtwistle. My brother said there was only 3 or 4 cottages so I think you are on the right track
Old 23-09-2011, 16:14   #15

Hi Sue
The family were at Gaulkthorn in the 1911 Census but seemed to be in Church for the 2 previous ones.

According to the baptisms Riley Junior was baptised whilst living at Water Street in Church and his father Baptised in 1865 from Bottom Moor so the only way to find out for definate is to purchase the Birth Certificate for Riley Junior to see what that says.

Baptisms: 8 Oct 1865 Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, England
Riley Oldham - Son of Alexander Oldham & Ellen
Born: 10 Sep 1865
Abode: Bottom Moor
Baptised by: F Owens Curate
Register: Baptisms 1837 - 1866, Page 270
Source: LDS Film 1470816

Baptisms: 23 Sep 1896 St James, Church Kirk, Lancashire, England
Riley Oldham - Child of Riley Oldham & Eliza
Born: 20 Aug 1896
Abode: 24 Water St
Notes: Wed. Ev. written in when Baptized column
Baptised by: J Glasson Denison
Register: Baptisms 1888 - 1900, Page 152, Entry 1215
Source: LDS Film 1470823
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..