Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2008, 23:18   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Fireworks

For heaven’s sake!

We get the same old boring rhetoric year after year at around this time.

Were none of your whingers kids? Did you not let off fireworks?

You didn’t think about dogs and cats then did you? Well its pay back time.

Live with it.
Old 27-10-2008, 23:35   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
For heaven’s sake!

Live with it.

Well, yes, as a child I did think about cats and dogs, actually, even though I had a Cocker Spaniel with the "gun dog" trait in her character that made her impervious to bangers. I always had cats, too, and they were cosseted on November 5th. I used to let off fireworks on Bonfire Night, not the night before or the week after.

It's pretty obvious, from your post, that you were one of those kids who went around letting off bangers all the time they were on sale, just to annoy/frighten everyone else. I wouldn't boast about it if I were you.
Old 28-10-2008, 12:37   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Well, yes, as a child I did think about cats and dogs, actually, even though I had a Cocker Spaniel with the "gun dog" trait in her character that made her impervious to bangers. I always had cats, too, and they were cosseted on November 5th. I used to let off fireworks on Bonfire Night, not the night before or the week after.

It's pretty obvious, from your post, that you were one of those kids who went around letting off bangers all the time they were on sale, just to annoy/frighten everyone else. I wouldn't boast about it if I were you.
It comes as no surprise that the first “holier than thou denial” comes from you West Ender. It was expected.

It also comes as no surprise that you had the auuuuuudacity to make a definitive statement about my childhood/fireworks experience, with nothing more than an uneducated supposition. But then that is what know-it-alls do. Maybe you should take to heart the following:
The older I grow,
The more I recall,
How little I knew,
When I knew it all.
-- Anon

I guess that your crystal ball let you down or did your familiar get in the way of your viewing?

To set the record straight – I didn’t have the money to buy fireworks until I started work and by then I had better things to spend it on. However that doesn’t mean to say that I wasn’t around when fireworks were being let off, I was. But I didn’t give a thought to the effect on animals and old and nervous people.

Finally, I would be interested to be shown just where there was a boast in my post.

Oh! Silly me! I forgot. It is your forte to comment on something that was not written just so that you can make an infantile point.
Old 28-10-2008, 13:49   #19
God Member

Quote:
For heaven’s sake!

Live with it.
I wouldn't call it the same old boring rhetoric.....more like genuine concern and yes we do have it every year because it happens every year.

When the government see sense and ban the sale of fireworks to the general public we won't have these concerns.

When I was young my dad bought a box of standard fireworks on Nov 5th and we set them off that evening in the back yard. They were not bangers, they were more about the colours than the bangs....now I do the same with my children although too many people do not use them in this way.

There are some very irresponsible people out there who mis-use fireworks and serious incidents are happening every year. In my opinion it is about time they were stopped.

When some idiot shoves one through your letterbox and your flat sets on fire you may change your mind.
Old 28-10-2008, 14:28   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I wouldn't call it the same old boring rhetoric.....more like genuine concern and yes we do have it every year because it happens every year.

When the government see sense and ban the sale of fireworks to the general public we won't have these concerns.

When I was young my dad bought a box of standard fireworks on Nov 5th and we set them off that evening in the back yard. They were not bangers, they were more about the colours than the bangs....now I do the same with my children although too many people do not use them in this way.

There are some very irresponsible people out there who mis-use fireworks and serious incidents are happening every year. In my opinion it is about time they were stopped.

When some idiot shoves one through your letterbox and your flat sets on fire you may change your mind.
Just because some people misuse fireworks they should be banned, should they? First of all that will put the sale of fireworks underground and thus unregulated and that will most likely lead to badly made fireworks being imported and causing much more mayhem.

So let’s put this issue into context. In 2005 there were two deaths and under 1,000 injuries from the sale and use or misuse of millions of fireworks. If that and the irresponsible use of fireworks is enough to be calling for a ban then the same principle should be applied to the sale and use of alcohol and not forgetting the ubiquitous motor vehicle on the grounds of causing deaths and injuries.

Ah! But you must use some form of motorised transport to get around and probably like a drink so there is no chance of you campaigning for them to be banned is there?

It all smacks of a case of, if you don’t like something and don’t use that something, get it banned with scant consideration of other people’s views.

As for some idiot pushing a firework through my letterbox – I will tackle that problem if and when it arises. But I have more chance of being killed or injured by some idiot road user.

As I stated earlier – fireworks - live with them. Its not as if they are let off every day of the year.
Old 28-10-2008, 15:19   #21
God Member

Quote:
For heaven’s sake!

Live with it.
Isn't that a case of pot - kettle - black, calling others whingers? It's ok for you to complain about things but just because you don't agree with this post the person must be whinging???
And yes, as has already been said most of us did enjoy bonfire night as kids, but it was just that - one night - if it was still like that it'd be ok but it's not. For one night you can 'live with it' as you say and ensure your pets are ok but when it goes on for weeks on end the poor things are nervous wrecks. A lady I know had to have her dog put to sleep a couple of years ago because because of the effects of the relentless bangs from fireworks, harmless fun eh?
Whinge over!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 15:31   #22
God Member

Quote:
Just because some people misuse fireworks they should be banned, should they? First of all that will put the sale of fireworks underground and thus unregulated and that will most likely lead to badly made fireworks being imported and causing much more mayhem.

So let’s put this issue into context. In 2005 there were two deaths and under 1,000 injuries from the sale and use or misuse of millions of fireworks. If that and the irresponsible use of fireworks is enough to be calling for a ban then the same principle should be applied to the sale and use of alcohol and not forgetting the ubiquitous motor vehicle on the grounds of causing deaths and injuries.

Ah! But you must use some form of motorised transport to get around and probably like a drink so there is no chance of you campaigning for them to be banned is there?

It all smacks of a case of, if you don’t like something and don’t use that something, get it banned with scant consideration of other people’s views.

As for some idiot pushing a firework through my letterbox – I will tackle that problem if and when it arises. But I have more chance of being killed or injured by some idiot road user.

As I stated earlier – fireworks - live with them. Its not as if they are let off every day of the year.
As has been said, if it was just the one night we could live with it......it's when it goes on for weeks that it gets out of hand.

I don't like walking down the street at night during the firework season as there are always groups of idiots throwing them around so I have to scuttle past, hoping they won't throw one at me.
Old 28-10-2008, 15:38   #23
God Member

Quote:
For heaven’s sake!

Live with it.
I demand you return our venerable Jambutty immediately as you are clearly some alien lifeform. We all know OUR Jambutty would never ever back up rabble rousing antisocial behaviour like this when its an almost pefect opportunity to winge about something!!!!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 17:12   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Isn't that a case of pot - kettle - black, calling others whingers? It's ok for you to complain about things but just because you don't agree with this post the person must be whinging???
And yes, as has already been said most of us did enjoy bonfire night as kids, but it was just that - one night - if it was still like that it'd be ok but it's not. For one night you can 'live with it' as you say and ensure your pets are ok but when it goes on for weeks on end the poor things are nervous wrecks. A lady I know had to have her dog put to sleep a couple of years ago because because of the effects of the relentless bangs from fireworks, harmless fun eh?
Whinge over!
Now where did I ever state that it was harmless fun?

I do believe that I never even called it just fun.

But then as is the norm on this forum, just chuck in something that I didn’t say.

And I know one old lady who didn’t have her dog put down because of bangs from fireworks. So what? In fact I now several pet owners whose pets survived Bonfire time.

My several trumps your single.
Old 28-10-2008, 17:15   #25
God Member

Quote:
For heaven’s sake!

Live with it.
LOL........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 18:32   #26
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Iv heard fireworks go off, but only the odd one and im in ossy, give it time!!
Old 28-10-2008, 18:41   #27

Its the start of Diwali, an Indian festival 5 Days of celebration. New years day tomorrow.
So it looks like we will be stuck with 2 weeks of fireworks
Old 28-10-2008, 19:07   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
It comes as no surprise that the first “holier than thou denial” comes from you West Ender. It was expected.

It also comes as no surprise that you had the auuuuuudacity to make a definitive statement about my childhood/fireworks experience, with nothing more than an uneducated supposition. But then that is what know-it-alls do. Maybe you should take to heart the following:
The older I grow,
The more I recall,
How little I knew,
When I knew it all.
-- Anon

I guess that your crystal ball let you down or did your familiar get in the way of your viewing?

To set the record straight – I didn’t have the money to buy fireworks until I started work and by then I had better things to spend it on. However that doesn’t mean to say that I wasn’t around when fireworks were being let off, I was. But I didn’t give a thought to the effect on animals and old and nervous people.

Finally, I would be interested to be shown just where there was a boast in my post.

Oh! Silly me! I forgot. It is your forte to comment on something that was not written just so that you can make an infantile point.

Oh Jambutty, you call me a "know-it-all". That's really very funny.
Old 28-10-2008, 19:10   #29

i was walking through blackburn town last night around 7.00 pm and i could hear a group of people discussing weather or notto through a firwork at us or not...

i had my daughter in her pram at the time.

i feel sick thinking about the sick teenagers these days
Old 28-10-2008, 19:12   #30
God Member

Thats terrible.....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..